• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Car=End of of OC for Vandal?

Vandal

imported post

Here is the story. I used to drive a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO, at 181k on the odometer it finally died and now lives in a junk yard. I replaced the car with a silver 2001 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Nowhere on the car are there any emergency lights, anything that says "police" or any striping on the car. Even the Police Interceptor badge is gone because the car has the "Street Appearance Package". It still has the blacked out grill and black panels on the trunk.

I am worried that if I OC with this car I could get arrested for Impersonation. I wear Oakleys, collared shirts and have a military style haircut, combined with a gun on my hip I can see that as a recipe for trouble from the cops. Are there any written police impersonation laws in ID? I cannot find anything written in the State Codes about it and it is a felony in Idaho.

NightOwl

imported post

Here's some related info, I don't have time to dig around any further right now, but hopefully this will be somewhat useful.

TITLE 20
STATE PRISON AND COUNTY JAILS
CHAPTER 2
STATE BOARD OF CORRECTIONS
20-219A. IMPERSONATING A PROBATION/PAROLE OFFICER, A PRESENTENCE
INVESTIGATOR OR CORRECTIONAL OFFICER -- OFFICIAL BADGE AND IDENTIFICATION
CARD. (1) Any person who for himself or as an agent or representative of
another in this state who shall unlawfully exercise or attempt to exercise the
functions of, or hold themselves out to anyone as
, a probation/parole officer,
a presentence investigator or correctional officer, whether acting in his own
behalf as an official of the court or correction, or as the authorized or
unauthorized agent or representative of another, is punishable by a fine not
exceeding five thousand dollars ($5,000) or imprisonment in the county jail
not exceeding one (1) year, or both.
(2) It is a misdemeanor for any person who is not authorized and
commissioned by the director of correction, to wear, exhibit or display in
public an official badge, official uniform of a correctional officer, or
identification card
of the department of correction of the state of Idaho, and
is punishable by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars ($5,000), or
imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one (1) year, or both.

As well as this, which appears related though I didn't research/read it fully: http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/2003/H0557.html

Hopefully that will help somewhat.

Oh, and of course wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_impersonation

Edit: In summary, I'd say that if anyone asks you tell them that you're not a cop, and don't try to pull people over/detain/etc anybody, and you'll be okay. *disclaimer, not a lawyer, etc etc, of course.

Hooksc

imported post

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH7SECT18-711.htm
TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 7
ARRESTS AND SEIZURES OF PERSONS OR PROPERTY -- SPECIAL OFFICERS
18-711.Unlawful exercise of functions of peace officers -- Unlawful importation of police officers -- Suppression of violence -- Exceptions.1. Any person who shall in this state unlawfully exercise or attempt to exercise the functions of, or hold himself out to any one as, a deputy sheriff, marshal, policeman, constable or peace officer, or any person, whether acting in his own behalf or as an officer of the law, or as the authorized or unauthorized agent or representative of another, or of any association, corporation or company, who shall bring or cause to be brought, or aid in bringing into this state any armed or unarmed police force or detective agency or force, or any armed or unarmed body of men for the suppression of domestic violence, shall be guilty of a felony, and on conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two (2) years and not more than five (5) years: provided, that the legislature, or the executive when the legislature can not be convened, may call upon the lawfully constituted authorities of the United States for the protection against invasion and domestic violence, as provided in section 4 of article 4 of the Constitution of the United States.
2.This section shall not apply to a law enforcement officer who pursuant to an interlocal cooperation plan upon receiving an emergency request from an Idaho law enforcement officer enters Idaho to give assistance; nor shall this section apply to the Idaho law enforcement officer who makes a request for emergency assistance.