• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did some OC'ing today

1911Hammer

imported post

Hi all.

I bought a new XD in .40 S&W today to use for my part time job with Loomis armored truck today. Picked up a Blackhawk serpa level II holster also. Decided to try it out. I put it on and went inside Bass Pro in Pearl MS. I had intended to let my shirt just hang over the gun, but did not realize that the entire weapon was visible until I was about to leave. No one said a word, gave me any :shock: or anything. Took it to Shoneys in Pearl, and walmart in Clinton. No problems at all.

Virginian683

imported post

I know this isn't really the topic but I have to commend your courage in taking an armored car job. I'm sorry but you are woefully under-armed for the job you are doing.

In many, if not most countries, armored car crews (as well as private security) carry assault rifles or submachine guns. For some reason in America you are given an old rusty revolver and told "here, guard this 500 grand.":uhoh: I don't even think they issue you guys body armor do they? If you ever get held up, if the guys doing it are even half-way professional, they will have both body armor and semi-auto rifles, maybe assault rifles. Even if you have a shotgun in the back it will be useless against their body armor.

I considered doing this myself but then I realized the only way I'd have a fighting chance is if they let me carry a rifle, which they won't. It's easier for them to just file an insurance claim -- they don't really give a damn about the guards' lives.

Anyway I just wanted to make sure you had taken the danger into account. :(

1911Hammer

imported post

I had given it a lot of thought. The operation manager said there has not been a robbery attempt on any armored truck in my area in the 27 years the company has been in this area. They do not issue a vest, but strongly recommend you wear one, and will contribute $100 toward the purchase of one. There are also some benefits as far as life insurance goes if you wear one. I plan on getting one myself.

Ideally, if I could arm myself as I saw fit, I would be carrying an M4, a Kimber 1911, and wearing a level IIIvest. But, I go by what the company mandates.

hammer6

imported post

1911Hammer wrote:
I had given it a lot of thought. The operation manager said there has not been a robbery attempt on any armored truck in my area in the 27 years the company has been in this area. They do not issue a vest, but strongly recommend you wear one, and will contribute $100 toward the purchase of one. There are also some benefits as far as life insurance goes if you wear one. I plan on getting one myself.

Ideally, if I could arm myself as I saw fit, I would be carrying an M4, a Kimber 1911, and wearing a level IIIvest. But, I go by what the company mandates.

why even carry a gun then? if there hasn't been an armed robbery attempt in your area in 27 years? seems pretty safe to me! :banghead:

1911Hammer

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
1911Hammer wrote:

why even carry a gun then? if there hasn't been an armed robbery attempt in your area in 27 years? seems pretty safe to me! :banghead:
Why do we carry a gun on our person, either cc or oc if we have not been robbed or attacked before? Because at any time it can happen.

hammer6

imported post

1911Hammer wrote:
hammer6 wrote:
1911Hammer wrote:

Why do we carry a gun on our person, either cc or oc if we have not been robbed or attacked before? Because at any time it can happen.

I was being VERY sarcastic as to your operation manager's response. notice the emoticon at the end of my post...

1911Hammer

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
1911Hammer wrote:
hammer6 wrote:
1911Hammer wrote:

I was being VERY sarcastic as to your operation manager's response. notice the emoticon at the end of my post...
I got the sarcasm. That is my response to that question whenever it is posed to me by someone. I also ask them why do you have car insurance if you have not had a wreck?