• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on Rivers, Riverbeds

Solar

imported post

I was wondering how this part of law is regulated.

For example, using an incident at the Flaming Geyser State Park related to alcohol consumption.

There is a sign on one of the trails entering the river from the State Park, but not the other. My girlfriend at the time entered the river from the un-posted trail, then proceeded to drink the alcohol she transported on her person while floating down the Green river. At the downriver jump off point, at the time was a lot of exposed riverbed that we were walking on. There was a sign posted trail that led down to this part of the river from the park as well, but it was facing so people in the park could see, not the people on the river or riverbed. She was written a ticket by a LEO for possessing alcohol. She tried to fight it, but lost. Another friend fought his and had it reduced. Isn't the River and Riverbed one in the same? Was the LEO out of his jurisdiction?

How does Open or Concealed work regarding Rivers? I remember reading that it is illegal to discharge a gun into any body of water, but what about on the water? How does Puget sound relate to the laws on rivers or lakes? Who enforces these?

How are laws like the alcohol ones even put in place at a State Park? I am a little confused.

Solar

imported post

Then why do Carnation Police refer you to King County and use that term? What is really the case? Why designate then? I am guessing that the State Park falls under a different set of rules than the State Rivers, or do the rivers belong to the federal government? I was interested in how this might apply from coming and going to and from state and local parks onto and off of waterways and lakes. Open carry or concealed.

1245A Defender

imported post

are you wondering about drinking or are you wondering about carrying guns?

theres only one set of rules about carrying guns in washington. get a CPL if you want to CC. if you want to OC, dont get a CPL.

Solar

imported post

I am wondering why something that was not legal in a State Park seems to be legal or unenforceable by a LEO on the river. (I was using the alcohol as an example)

Since you say that there is no "out of jurisdiction" for LEOs, my cited example must mean that for some reason, it is legal to drink on the river, but not in the State Park. I was trying to figure out if the river falls under different jurisdiction as related to the laws and if that would include the river bed. If one traveled by riverbed legally carrying a weapon through a State or Federal park or for that matter, in between private tracks of land along the banks of the river. Is it legal for them to do so, or does this only apply to the actual river itself as federal land. Perhaps I am asking in the wrong forum... The meet at the Green River got me thinking about this.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The river falls under the jurisdiction of the park, the county or city it's in, and at times even the US Coast Guard (being navigable waterway and all that). You adhere to state law regarding carry.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

i carried in lake washington. i rolled my kayak and couldn't get back in. took me a hour and a half to almost make it to the other side treading water. finally the sheriffs boat came after they had a meeting for a hour. i watched them get there and right when they were leaving they saw me. i told them i was carrying they didnt care. not that it mattered i could barely stand after treading water for that long let alone pulling a kayak.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Different agencies have different primary areas of responsibility (jurisdiction if you prefer), and generally they enforce/patrol that area. However, any WA LEO can exercise his/her power anywhere in the state.

So if you are reporting something to one agency they may refer you to another who is more appropriate for where the issue is.

As to the alcohol/water thing, you are asking pretty broad questions. Look at the citation and it should tell you the violation - RCW XXXX then refer to that RCW to see what it addresses.

As to carry issues on land and water, in and out of parks, there is only state law to contend with and the relevant ones are in RCW 9.41. The only exception to that is if you are in a National Park which has additional restrictions until February of next year.

Shooting is a separate issue from carry and you need to look at local ordinances since state preemption doesn't apply to discharge regulations.

virgil47

imported post

911Boss wrote:
There is no "out of jurisdiction". LEO in WA is LEO in ALL of WA.

My suggestion for the rest would be to spend some time with the RCWs, they are all on line.

Just for my info are tribal police included in your all LEO statement ?

joeroket

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
911Boss wrote:
There is no "out of jurisdiction". LEO in WA is LEO in ALL of WA.

My suggestion for the rest would be to spend some time with the RCWs, they are all on line.

Just for my info are tribal police included in your all LEO statement ?

They are commissioned by the sheriff of the county they are in if they meet the minimum state requirements for commissioning.