• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Indiana on a MI CPL

packinheatmiinoh

imported post

I am a Michigan Concealed pistol license holder and I am frequently in Indiana, AS I read your law it states you honor other states licenses, In Michigan you do not need license to OC just to CC, so will Indiana allow me to OC on a CPL? or will they just honor my MI no license needed? what are your transport without a permit requirements?

I know this is a gray area, Just to let you know I OC in Indiana frequently, As I am prepared to test the system, I have several times considered leaving my CPL at the hotel, Since we don't need a CPL to OC.

Timjoebillybob

imported post

Indiana will not honor the MI no license needed. For open carry under your CPL there is a grey area. According to IN code they will honor all other licenses/permits under the terms that they are issued. There is disagreement on whether that allows open carry with a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

And for transporting without a permit, long guns no restrictions other than schools, restricted areas of airports, etc. Handguns, only from place of purchase to your home or fixed place of business, and too a place of repair and back and while moving. You cannot transport a handgun other than that without a license/permit.

Here is most of the law regarding handguns.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

It would be my advice to you not to "test the system". In the great state of Indiana you must carry a license to have a firearm either concealed or open. Try following the rules. It will get you farther in life. Have a great day!

bobn911

imported post

packin'... Indiana does honor MI's CPL. Indiana according to theISP, is silent to either CC or OC. With that being said, you will have to prepare yourselfin case you 'run' into a cop with his/her own agenda as we do in MI. I have OC'd from Elkhart to Indy and have hadno problems. Have a good day, Bob

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Timjoebillybob wrote:
Indiana will not honor the MI no license needed. For open carry under your CPL there is a grey area. According to IN code they will honor all other licenses/permits under the terms that they are issued. There is disagreement on whether that allows open carry with a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

And for transporting without a permit, long guns no restrictions other than schools, restricted areas of airports, etc. Handguns, only from place of purchase to your home or fixed place of business, and too a place of repair and back and while moving. You cannot transport a handgun other than that without a license/permit.

Here is most of the law regarding handguns.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html
Recieved this from the Indiana State Police.
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"][/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Dear Mr. Jeffs:[/font][font="Verdana, sans-serif"]

[/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Indiana honors all other states handgun license while visiting or passing through our state. Our law does not state that your weapon has to be concealed or unconcealed. Being concealeddoes not draw attention to you or make people feel uneasy. You may check this web site for more information. [/font][font="Verdana, sans-serif"][url]http://www.in.gov/isp[/font][/url][font="Verdana, sans-serif"] and go under firearms to see what it has. Also, this web site: [/font][font="Verdana, sans-serif"][url]http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html[/font][/url][font="Verdana, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]If you have any other questions, please let us know.[/font][font="Verdana, sans-serif"]

[/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"][/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thanks,[/font][font="Verdana, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Sandy Stark Indiana State Police Firearms Section Indiana Government Center North 100 N Senate Ave [/font][font="Verdana, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Indianapolis, IN 46204 317-232-8264[/font]

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Indiana requires one to have a license in order to possess outside of one's residence or place of business.

Indiana is additionally a "shall-issue" state. If you have no background problems, they must issue you a license (if you are a resident, etc.)

The meat of the issue is that Indiana law basically requires you to have been "checked out" in order to carry a handgun, be it openly or otherwise.

Indiana accepts other states licenses to carry, because it means that that person has been "checked out".

Of course, that is not a legal argument. It is just the purpose of the law.

SO: To answer the original question, if you have your CPL/CCW/LTCH/etc. (which is a carry license) from your state of residence, Indiana will allow you to substitute that for Indiana's LTCH requirement.