Thread: OC in Indiana on a MI CPL

Post imported post

I am a Michigan Concealed pistol license holder and I am frequently in Indiana, AS I read your law it states you honor other states licenses, In Michigan you do not need license to OC just to CC, so will Indiana allow me to OC on a CPL? or will they just honor my MI no license needed? what are your transport without a permit requirements?

I know this is a gray area, Just to let you know I OC in Indiana frequently, As I am prepared to test the system, I have several times considered leaving my CPL at the hotel, Since we don't need a CPL to OC.

Post imported post

Indiana will not honor the MI no license needed. For open carry under your CPL there is a grey area. According to IN code they will honor all other licenses/permits under the terms that they are issued. There is disagreement on whether that allows open carry with a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

And for transporting without a permit, long guns no restrictions other than schools, restricted areas of airports, etc. Handguns, only from place of purchase to your home or fixed place of business, and too a place of repair and back and while moving. You cannot transport a handgun other than that without a license/permit.

Here is most of the law regarding handguns.
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html

Post imported post

It would be my advice to you not to "test the system". In the great state of Indiana you must carry a license to have a firearm either concealed or open. Try following the rules. It will get you farther in life. Have a great day!

Post imported post

packin'... Indiana does honor MI's CPL. Indiana according to theISP, is silent to either CC or OC. With that being said, you will have to prepare yourselfin case you 'run' into a cop with his/her own agenda as we do in MI. I have OC'd from Elkhart to Indy and have hadno problems. Have a good day, Bob
    Life Member: NRA (Endowment), GOA, SAF, MUCC, and Case Collectors Club
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Timjoebillybob wrote:
    Indiana will not honor the MI no license needed. For open carry under your CPL there is a grey area. According to IN code they will honor all other licenses/permits under the terms that they are issued. There is disagreement on whether that allows open carry with a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

And for transporting without a permit, long guns no restrictions other than schools, restricted areas of airports, etc. Handguns, only from place of purchase to your home or fixed place of business, and too a place of repair and back and while moving. You cannot transport a handgun other than that without a license/permit.

Here is most of the law regarding handguns.
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html
    Recieved this from the Indiana State Police.

Dear Mr. Jeffs:

Indiana honors all other states handgun license while visiting or passing through our state. Our law does not state that your weapon has to be concealed or unconcealed. Being concealeddoes not draw attention to you or make people feel uneasy. You may check this web site for more information. http://www.in.gov/isp and go under firearms to see what it has. Also, this web site: http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/cod...r47/index.html
    If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Sandy Stark Indiana State Police Firearms Section Indiana Government Center North 100 N Senate Ave
    Indianapolis, IN 46204 317-232-8264

Special offer - buy a copy of "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" and get a free copy of "Bond of Unseen Blood" Go to http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Indiana requires one to have a license in order to possess outside of one's residence or place of business.

Indiana is additionally a "shall-issue" state. If you have no background problems, they must issue you a license (if you are a resident, etc.)

The meat of the issue is that Indiana law basically requires you to have been "checked out" in order to carry a handgun, be it openly or otherwise.

Indiana accepts other states licenses to carry, because it means that that person has been "checked out".

Of course, that is not a legal argument. It is just the purpose of the law.

SO: To answer the original question, if you have your CPL/CCW/LTCH/etc. (which is a carry license) from your state of residence, Indiana will allow you to substitute that for Indiana's LTCH requirement.