• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon Carry Not a Right

r6-rider

imported post

wow that would really piss me off if a cop just grabbed me like that and put me against a car

smoking357

Banned
imported post

thompsongunner06 wrote:
OK boys and girls,,,http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b1_1251954307 ,,,,,Cop tels Protester with OC of handgun "its not a right,its a priviledge".
Dont know why it will not work,,,it does on 1919a4.com opentalk section or "Counter Protest/Detained by Police".....on liveleak.
They said the same gibberish with driving, and some morons still think that driving is a "privilege."

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
They said the same gibberish with driving, and some morons still think that driving is a "privilege."
An excerpt from Wisconsin case law, stare decisis embodied in the 'annotations' of Wisconsin Statue Chapter 343 'OPERATORS’ LICENSES', ss 343.05

A person has a privilege, but not a right, to drive a motor vehicle upon a public highway. To exercise that privilege, the person must satisfy the licensing requirements of the state. County of Fond du Lac v. Kevin C. Derksen, 2002 WI App 160, 256 Wis. 2d 490, 647 N.W.2d 922, 01−2870.

http://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinions/01/pdf/01-2870.pdf

APPEAL from a judgment of the circuit court for Fond du Lac County: DALE L. ENGLISH, Judge. Affirmed.

Before Nettesheim, P.J., Anderson and Snyder, JJ.

¶1 NETTESHEIM, P.J. In this case, we put to rest the notion held by some that a person has an absolute and unfettered right, free of government regulation, to operate a motor vehicle on the roadways of this state. Rather, this so-called “right” is, in fact, a privilege that is subject to reasonable regulation by the legislature or other political subdivisions of the state.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinions/01/pdf/01-2870.pdf

APPEAL from a judgment of the circuit court for Fond du Lac County: DALE L. ENGLISH, Judge. Affirmed.

Before Nettesheim, P.J., Anderson and Snyder, JJ.

¶1 NETTESHEIM, P.J. In this case, we put to rest the notion held by some that a person has an absolute and unfettered right, free of government regulation, to own and bear firearms on the roadways of this state. Rather, this so-called “right” is, in fact, a privilege that is subject to reasonable regulation by the legislature or other political subdivisions of the state.
Fixed it for you.

A conclusion line is an uncompelling argument. Courts and statutes are hardly the repositories of the essences of rights.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

¶8 There is a compelling basis for differentiating the right to travel from the means of travel. The automobile of today, with engineering emphasis on power and speed, can be a crippling and potentially lethal weapon in the hands of an irresponsible driver. See Steeno, 85 Wis. 2d at 671. Licensing helps to assure safe drivers and also provide a good record-keeping system for identifying irresponsible drivers. Derksen offers isolated quotes from older cases from other jurisdictions that facially support some of his arguments. But we are not bound by those cases. Instead, we are bound by our supreme court and, in a constitutional sense, by the decisions of the United States Supreme Court. See Cook v. Cook, 208 Wis. 2d 166, 189-90, 560 N.W.2d 246 (1997). We refuse to follow and decline to discuss the ancient cases from other jurisdictions cited by Derksen.
I am a touring bicyclist of long 50,000+ miles experience and I am informed of the intricacies of the Right to travel and the hazards of the automobile.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
¶8 There is a compelling basis for differentiating the right to travel from the means of travel. The automobile of today, with engineering emphasis on power and speed, can be a crippling and potentially lethal weapon in the hands of an irresponsible driver. See Steeno, 85 Wis. 2d at 671. Licensing helps to assure safe drivers and also provide a good record-keeping system for identifying irresponsible drivers. Derksen offers isolated quotes from older cases from other jurisdictions that facially support some of his arguments. But we are not bound by those cases. Instead, we are bound by our supreme court and, in a constitutional sense, by the decisions of the United States Supreme Court. See Cook v. Cook, 208 Wis. 2d 166, 189-90, 560 N.W.2d 246 (1997). We refuse to follow and decline to discuss the ancient cases from other jurisdictions cited by Derksen.
I am a touring bicyclist of long 50,000+ miles experience and I am informed of the intricacies of the Right to travel and the hazards of the automobile.
why don't you just tell us that you believe in the 'living' constitution then?

david.ross

imported post

In Indiana, open carry is licensed... by the fact carry must be licensed, one could conclude open carry is a privilege in the state.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
In Indiana, open carry is licensed... by the fact carry must be licensed, one could conclude open carry is a privilege in the state.

You are correct, unfortunately. The state of Indiana, as well as other states view the carrying of a firearm a privledge, not a right.

Nationwide though...its starting to get better.

david.ross

imported post

Exactly.

I read the title and description on the forum at first, thinking "huh?". Then I read the description in the linked video and saw the city was in Indiana.

People are getting their britches in a bunch over a licensed state.

paramedic70002

imported post

Sheesh.

Common sense is not required under the law. It is not an issue.

Were these cops put in charge of "Good ideas" by their watch commander?

"It is an open carry state but there are people out here. You're walking around with an exposed firearm." Who is this, Officer Moron?

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

That citizen was detained and harassed. I hope he sues that PD to the fullest extent of the law. :cuss:

But he said too much - should have kept it to "As you admit that I'm legally allowed to OC, am I being detained or am I free to go?" Nothing more.

david.ross

imported post

One has to ask, is it RAS just because someone is carrying a weapon, which is a "privy" in Indiana?

There are no sidewalkblocks afaik.

Police can't just pull over anyone on the road at their choosing, what where is the RAS for open carrying?

I suppose to question the First class city statute in PA as well. Does anyone have any case law or would this question be new?

Alexcabbie

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
That citizen was detained and harassed. I hope he sues that PD to the fullest extent of the law. :cuss:

But he said too much - should have kept it to "As you admit that I'm legally allowed to OC, am I being detained or am I free to go?" Nothing more.
10-4. You don't try cases on the sidewalk.

D_Weezy

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
It's a RIGHT in Ohio, so says the Ohio Supreme Court.
I'll be Dmnae'd if I would have concealed my weapon for them. It is my Right to open carry in Ohio. I would have told them so and left it at that. I don't care if someone is upset by it or not. They< need to get with the program, not me. I know what the law is and so did the Police in this situation. So why conform to what they want, just to make them happy. This is some more, of the strong arm tactics that make me sick. Why do we have to be sheep? They found out, that he knew his rights and still pressed their personal opinions upon him and he gave in. They knew, they didn't have a right to do so but they did it anyway. I am kind of psised, that he caved in.

D_Weezy

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Exactly.

I read the title and description on the forum at first, thinking "huh?". Then I read the description in the linked video and saw the city was in Indiana.

People are getting their britches in a bunch over a licensed state.
My problem with this is he did have a license, so it is not up for debate. He was not breaking the law. They stopped him from doing something that is legal in Indiana, just because they didn't like it. What about the rest of the time when he is walking around with his open weapon? I am sure that, there are plenty of people out then also. Does this somehow give them the right to harass him, anytime they feel like it? Maybe I am missing something. The law is the law, wherever you live. I know what State those Police where in, the State of Confusion.