• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to look for in an open carry gun

soundlzrd

imported post

I currently carry concealed on a daily basis when allowed here in WA. My primary carry is a G19 with a kel-tec bug. After lurking on this site and listening to some handgun related pod cast, I think I would like to open carry from time to time. My worry is carrying a gun openly that is easy to fire.

This may sound weird, but my aversion to open carry is being worried about someone else trying to unholster my gun and use it against me. I was thinking, if the worst case was to happen, having something with a more complicated battery of arms than the glock, would come in handy.

I understand it is my responsiblity to be aware of my surroundings when carrying, and I am more so when I do not carry, but for peice of mind, am I crazy? And what would you recommend.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Me personally....I would recommend that you stick with a gun you are very familiar with, and get yourself a good retention holster. Practice continously with it so you can draw from it without thinking about it (muscle memory).

Not making light of your fear, and not saying it wouldn't happen. But I cannot find a single report of that happening. Most times the criminal element would already be armed. As well as most criminals would prefer UNARMED targets.

jeeper1

imported post

If you are worried about you handgun being taken by someone and used against you then consider a cross draw holster. I carry cross draw in a Serpa holster but not for that reason. Someone trying to take it from you will have to be pretty much in front of you, not sneaking up from behind you.

ecocks

imported post

From what you say, my advice is to get a solid retention holster. I use a simple Uncle Mike's with the snap on the inside. If you carry a semi-auto you might want to carry without one in the chamber as an added precaution. You would know to jack one into the chamber but your assailant would find this difficult to accomplish if in a grappling situation while you went for your BUG.

Good luck!

Michigander

imported post

Just get a level 3 or4 retention holster from Safariland, and practice drawing from it 1000+ times.

Although we don't know of a case where a non uniformed OCer has had an attemped gun grab by a non cop, theoreticaly speaking, if a criminal is smart enough to figure out how to undo that complicated of a system before you draw on him, he probably will be smart enough to go bother someone else.

Here is an example of a good holster option for you.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2090.php

Or, slightly less complicated and my personal choice,

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2088.php

If a criminal has your gun in hand, you're really up @#$% creek as is. Avoiding that is much more important than adding safety features to fumble over.

45acpForMe

Michigander

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I have heard good things about safariland and don't want to start the best-retention-holster debate again.
There really isn't anything to debate about. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages. It's an individuals choice.

45acpForMe

imported post

Michigander wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
I have heard good things about safariland and don't want to start the best-retention-holster debate again.
There really isn't anything to debate about. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages. It's an individuals choice.
I agree but whole threads get hijacked talking about the pros and cons of each and rumors of failure from a friend of a friend. Both are good. Try them if possible and see which feels better.

Back to the OP, since you are not looking to conceal the gun, you can consider a large frame with hi-cap magazine. There is no reason you couldn't OC Glock19 though.

I OC my SigP220 but would feel more comfortable with 13-15 rounds in the magazine rather than my straight-8. I was hoping the Sig250 was going to meet or exceed the 13 round of Glock and XD but they only make 10 round mags for it.

david.ross

imported post

Ignore what others are telling you in reference to a carry holster. I do recommend safariland, HOWEVER... if you're carrying a glock, go ahead and buy the best holster you can along with a duty belt. Links below.

Safariland 6070 raptor... select the option "SH", this will increase the holster LEVEL TO V.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/safaril...-holster-stx-tac-black-right-hand-6070-8.html

Here is a weekend coupon which is still active for memorial day, $10 off.
Coupon code: 4WKR94T

Total should be about $111.59... shipping is free unless you're not in the lower 48.

Also, read my thread on belts
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/26872-1.html#p455675

You'll notice I'm anti-blackhawk in regards to holsters. This is with prejudice and with good reason. Don't bother with blackhawk holsters.

Stay safe,
iRoo

soundlzrd

imported post

Wow, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into wen I started to think about OC. I thought it would be an excuse to get a new gun and a new holster. Looks like I have much to learn about new holsters. After reading some threads on here, I was looking at the safariland ALS, but now people are mentioning different level and the price for the holster alone has jumped 100 dollars., about 70 more than I though an off the self holster cost.

Guess I need more research.

jsimmons

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
You'll notice I'm anti-blackhawk in regards to holsters. This is with prejudice and with good reason. Don't bother with blackhawk holsters.
I went to both links and there's nothing there about you being anti-blackhawk. Why do you say don't bother with them?

I'm looking for a CC holster, and was considering blackhawk.

david.ross

imported post

soundlzd,

I used to use the 6280, which is a level II upgradable to III(which I did).

If you want to carry securely... buy the Safariland I mentioned.

Also... in case you're hassled, it takes an officer quite a bit to figure out how to operate a 6280 with the upgrade... So think for a minute how long it will take someone trying to grab the gun off you while you make an attempt to defend against a grab.

Many I've seen use the nice dangerous leather holsters with just a strap over and snap for... a Glock. Good way to shoot oneself if the strap tugs the trigger. Many instructors will warn you about the hazard, yet some people will foolishly still buy such holsters. Safety over glossy "cute" leather.

The rotating system on a safariland is far better. The Blackhawk belts I linked you to are extremely durable and cheap, I have both the under/duty belt combo. The Safariland belts are overpriced IMO. No need for a belt which holds proprietary wrist ties nor a 80USD double locking belt which is available for a fraction of the price.

david.ross

imported post

jsimmons wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:
I went to both links and there's nothing there about you being anti-blackhawk. Why do you say don't bother with them?

I'm looking for a CC holster, and was considering blackhawk.
I'm primarily talking about duty holsters.

Define CC holster.

With a mid or high ride duty holster, one can conceal with a jacket. Unless you're looking for an ankle, shoulder, etc.

soundlzrd

imported post

So why wont a normal gun belt work? I looked at safarilands website and found out how those holsters work. Appears to be sort of a push down to release type deal.

david.ross

imported post

What is a "gun belt"?

Do you mean a trouser belt or a duty belt?
The purpose of a duty belt is not only for a firearm, but for any other items you wish to place on the belt.

I should also note, with a duty belt like the one I linked with the VELCRO, I just take it off when I want. No need for belt keepers or to take off the holster from the belt.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6070
I don't believe the videos show a level V but just the III.

With a level V, you get...

- tension device making harder to draw the gun unless on your person
- SLS hood
- the locking system when you place the gun in the holster
- the sentry security add-on
- SLS security hood add on

You may not like the extra added security options with the SH. If you do not, you can remove the device.

Michigander

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Also... in case you're hassled, it takes an officer quite a bit to figure out how to operate a 6280 with the upgrade.

That isn't always the case. Some PD's issue the damn things. I got stopped by some rather rude individuals from just such a PD some time ago, and I was disarmed quickly and efficiently. :cuss:

david.ross

imported post

Those are the PDs which are intelligent to force their officers to wear decent hoslters. None of the times I've been harassed did they quickly unlawfully seize my firearm.

Michigander

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I OC my SigP220 but would feel more comfortable with 13-15 rounds in the magazine rather than my straight-8. .
I carry the same gun and agree, but I do have a way around the low capacity.

I practice drawing a magazine with one hand while drawing my gun with the other. That way the one hand can hold the drawn gun while the other hand holds the magazine, with the wrist of the mag holding hand available to support the gun hand.

It's a slick and easy gun to reload. I can have an empty mag out and a loaded one in and chambered in well under a second. I'd prefer a double stack, no question. But it works well enough.

Michigander

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Those are the PDs which are intelligent to force their officers to wear decent hoslters. None of the times I've been harassed did they quickly unlawfully seize my firearm.

Different states have different idiosyncrasies.

I'm actually surprised they'd even stop you to begin with given Alaska's laws.

david.ross

imported post

distraught.png
The Alaska State trooper which harassed me got his ass chewed out by the captain. The Captain was so fricken upset he had me shaking in my boots.

The only other times I've ever been harassed was in Pennsylvania... I still find myself in disappointment in regards to a specific officer at the Pittsburgh PD.... The rest of the Pittsburgh officers are gentleman and ladies with in exception of the few who informed me they'd detain and run my ID/serial every time they pass me.