• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Warren picnic possibility?

malignity

imported post

Well, I know a good amount of people showed interest in going to another Warren Picnic, this time at the fountain. Can anyone confirm that the fountain area actually has a park of some sort for us to actually go? I don't know if there's any public places where we can actually hold this at the fountain or not, and the last thing I want to do is get us in some sort of trouble, because i 'thought' there was a park there, but it only turned out to be a large patch of grass (lol).

Also, do you guys think it'll be necessary to contact the Warren police and notify them that we're all OCing, when it's right on their back door? (Sorry, I couldn't resist the sarcasm.)

Michigander

imported post

I went to a free BOC concert/fair there a couple years ago. It seems to be pretty darn public.

Might not be able to grill there, I don't know. I don't believe there are standing BBQ grills there like at the park, and it's definitely possible that they have ordinances about where you can BBQ on public property.

I like the meet by the fountain idea, but I'm more interested in litter clean ups. What I would especially enjoy is to meet by the fountain, then go clean litter. Since we can already assume based on the past that the police will want to monitor us, we should invite them to help. :celebrate

malignity

imported post

That might not be a bad idea. There were some thoughts that their presence was trying to 'contain us' at the park. If we're out and walking, they'll have to think of other ways. :lol:

It might not be a bad idea to do an adopt a highway too in the future. We could get our name out on a sign too, "Sponsored by Michigan Open Carry", and ultimately, that could work in our favor as advertisement. :D

malignity

imported post

It looks like at the moment, having a fountain picnic in the heart of Warren won't be a possibility. I'm trying to gather some information about the Pit in Lapeer to see if it wouldn't be possible to have a picnic/shoot there, but I've never been there, so I need some help to determine if it's at all possible. Either way, I'd love to go to the range with some of the great guys I met yesterday. :)

FatboyCykes

imported post

If it isn't widely known yet, I'm not a big fan at all of litter pick ups. I'd much rather sit on my fat a$$ and eat a hot dog. However, I think that in the case of the now named fountain walk, it is a good idea. Since there are no grills, since it's not necesarrily the best place for a picnic, we can meet up and do an hour of litter pick up around town hall, the police station and the 37th district court, then maybe meet down the road and have lunch.

I would expect this time however, since we'd literally be on their front door step, that they may step up their efforts and harassment. This would be great for a smaller group, or several small groups, hopefully with a dedicated cameraman. I don't see anyone getting drawn upon, but I could see them stopping everyone with some BS RAS.

I'm all for it and it doesn't have to be a big planned event, just gather when we can :)

Michigander

imported post

Cykes, I do believe everyone knows you don't like litter cleaning. SOOOO, my suggestion would be that you collect a few bucks from everyone before the litter clean up, then go get a few Pizzas and drinks, and maybe some moist towelettes or any good means to clean our hands (because obviously litter is gross, yuck) and then we can eat pizza on the the front lawn of the PD.

:celebrate

FatboyCykes

imported post

Not a bad suggestion, but I don't think I want to miss this one :p I think this might be one of most effective litter clean ups if we do it, and I'm all for that. Set a meet time, 15 mins before the clean up, set a one hour clean up time, then meet back for lunch. Short, relatively quick and I think pizza on the lawn isn't a bad idea either :p

I could probably talk the wife into bringing it. I'm ok with cheapo 5 dollar pizzas too. Not that little caesar crap, but grinderz makes a very decent 5 dollar pizza.

FatboyCykes

imported post

I'll assume you're asking because of the childcare center there across from town hall?

With a CPL, legally, you're fine, unless they ask you to leave, as I'm sure it's private property. So as long as you stay off their premises you will be fine.

johnniebravo

imported post

thats why i asked, we know how the Warren Pd is and IMO we really need to have our ducks in a row if we decide to do this on their front porch. Just being careful thats all.

mikestilly

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Understood, but we're in clear :)

There is nothing to worry about. We're not going inside the buildings anyways. As for child care facilities we're not going inside one but as far as I know the child facilities PFZ deals with concealed carry. Concealed you are allowed in the parking lot. There's no schools there so no worries about that. I will definitely be there for this one. As for small groups. The size of the group doesnt matter this is a large area and it's not like we're going to have 100 people. Though a 100+ would be nice :D No need to scale it down.

Mike

FatboyCykes

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
Understood, but we're in clear :)

There is nothing to worry about. We're not going inside the buildings anyways. As for child care facilities we're not going inside one but as far as I know the child facilities PFZ deals with concealed carry. Concealed you are allowed in the parking lot. There's no schools there so no worries about that. I will definitely be there for this one. As for small groups. The size of the group doesnt matter this is a large area and it's not like we're going to have 100 people. Though a 100+ would be nice :D No need to scale it down.

Mike

Nope, childcare facilities are a PFZ for OC w/o a CPL.
750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
But we are good :)

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Childcare facilities are a PFZ for OC w/o a CPL.
750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
But we are good with CPL's:)
Fixed (just made it more clear is all)

malignity

imported post

If we decide to go through with this, I imagine it would be a good idea that EVERYONE have their CPL, and everyone discloses, upon first contact with LEO's, regardless of whether we're OCing or not. I can almost guarantee that the police will be hassling us if we're even remotely giving them a hard time, and will do EVERYTHING in their power to bust us with something ridiculous, and I don't want us all to end up like TheSzerdi, boned for abiding the law. A picnic is one thing, eating pizza on their front lawn is another.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

malignity wrote:
If we decide to go through with this, I imagine it would be a good idea that EVERYONE have their CPL, and everyone discloses, upon first contact with LEO's, regardless of whether we're OCing or not. I can almost guarantee that the police will be hassling us if we're even remotely giving them a hard time, and will do EVERYTHING in their power to bust us with something ridiculous, and I don't want us all to end up like TheSzerdi, boned for abiding the law. A picnic is one thing, eating pizza on their front lawn is another.

If we do this, I'll be OCing 2 guns and will leave my CPL and DL in my car. I will also NOT disclose.

Othersmay do as they wish.

malignity

imported post

I hope you have a lawyer then. :p Time and time again we've been shown that warren PD doesn't know/care about OC laws. I'm not going to set myself up for trouble that I know is going to happen, then be detained, get my gun confiscated, and get my CPL suspended until all of the smoke clears. Maybe this is closer to home for me because I'm very good friends with someone that this personally happened to, I don't know. I personally can't afford a lawyer, and I'll be damned if a court appointed lawyer is anything close to an expert in firearm laws lol.