Thread: G19 holster

Post imported post

I am looking to start this open carry thing. I thought I might be better off with a gun with a safety, but someone mentioned I should look at a rentiontion holster instead. The one that got the most mention, other than the serpa, is the Safariland ALS. A quick search on Google has them on the Safariland website, but not their company store, unless I want a leg holster. A leg holster seems a bit extreme, but I may be missing something.

Advice or imput for a newcomer to OC from CC.

Thanks

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Do you mind if I ask why you are excluding the Serpa?
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Yes you may. I do not like where you need to place the finger to release the gun. A bit to close to the trigger for my liking. I thought this when I looked at the holster a year or so ago in a leg rig, but the theory worried me. Now with the reports of ND I find I had reason to worry. I also did not think the fit was snug, the gun seemed to move around slightly in the holster.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

I use a Serpa for My Glock 21 and really like it. I haven't heard about any NDs with this holster but having used the design personally I would think that they are caused by poor trigger finger control and thus user error. I find that if I keep my finger straight when my hand is on my holstered gun (it should be anyway no matter what holster you use) then when I depress the release and draw I find my trigger finger to be straight and laying on the frame of my gun. As I re-holster my gun I keep my finger straight and on the frame where it was when I drew my firearm.

As to the wobble, there is a screw where you can adjust the tension of a spring inside the holster. This spring will keep the pistol from wobbling in the holster.

I find the holster absolutely fantastic and us the Level II in my daily carry. The other plus is they're fairly cheap considering some of the leather ones out there that I've been looking into for my Kimber. If they made a serpa that didn't kill the finish of 1911s I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Don't know if any of this helps but I'd give Serpa another shot. Blackhawk really seems to know what they're doing when designing gear.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

I use a Safariland and endorse them. Great holsters.

This site a good place to purchase them from: http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2088.php
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I second GM in that your finger goes to the frame as you draw. Retention is easy to adjust on the SERPA. FWIW, though try to find somewhere you can test the holster out. Decisions are better made in person than over the net when possible. With a Glock you have to mind that trigger finger regardless of the holster you use.

Post imported post

Maybe I will have to give it a try, I am just not so sure about the serpa.

I got more Holster talk on my gun thread, but it seemed to get expensive for just a holster, and a duty belt. I thought I would just need a decent holster, about 50 dollars. I appear to have been mistaken.

Post imported post

soundlzrd wrote:
    I thought I would just need a decent holster, about 50 dollars. I appear to have been mistaken.
    You could get a Serpa Sportster for probably less than 50, and not even need to use a belt of any kind. It's not a terrible option. Many here do that.

Not as secure as a safariland, but much faster.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.