• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

G19 holster

soundlzrd

imported post

I am looking to start this open carry thing. I thought I might be better off with a gun with a safety, but someone mentioned I should look at a rentiontion holster instead. The one that got the most mention, other than the serpa, is the Safariland ALS. A quick search on Google has them on the Safariland website, but not their company store, unless I want a leg holster. A leg holster seems a bit extreme, but I may be missing something.

Advice or imput for a newcomer to OC from CC.

Thanks

soundlzrd

imported post

Yes you may. I do not like where you need to place the finger to release the gun. A bit to close to the trigger for my liking. I thought this when I looked at the holster a year or so ago in a leg rig, but the theory worried me. Now with the reports of ND I find I had reason to worry. I also did not think the fit was snug, the gun seemed to move around slightly in the holster.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use a Serpa for My Glock 21 and really like it. I haven't heard about any NDs with this holster but having used the design personally I would think that they are caused by poor trigger finger control and thus user error. I find that if I keep my finger straight when my hand is on my holstered gun (it should be anyway no matter what holster you use) then when I depress the release and draw I find my trigger finger to be straight and laying on the frame of my gun. As I re-holster my gun I keep my finger straight and on the frame where it was when I drew my firearm.

As to the wobble, there is a screw where you can adjust the tension of a spring inside the holster. This spring will keep the pistol from wobbling in the holster.

I find the holster absolutely fantastic and us the Level II in my daily carry. The other plus is they're fairly cheap considering some of the leather ones out there that I've been looking into for my Kimber. If they made a serpa that didn't kill the finish of 1911s I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Don't know if any of this helps but I'd give Serpa another shot. Blackhawk really seems to know what they're doing when designing gear.

chiefjason

imported post

I second GM in that your finger goes to the frame as you draw. Retention is easy to adjust on the SERPA. FWIW, though try to find somewhere you can test the holster out. Decisions are better made in person than over the net when possible. With a Glock you have to mind that trigger finger regardless of the holster you use.

soundlzrd

imported post

Maybe I will have to give it a try, I am just not so sure about the serpa.

I got more Holster talk on my gun thread, but it seemed to get expensive for just a holster, and a duty belt. I thought I would just need a decent holster, about 50 dollars. I appear to have been mistaken.

Michigander

imported post

soundlzrd wrote:
I thought I would just need a decent holster, about 50 dollars. I appear to have been mistaken.
You could get a Serpa Sportster for probably less than 50, and not even need to use a belt of any kind. It's not a terrible option. Many here do that.

Not as secure as a safariland, but much faster.