• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to a few states.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

I will be driving to Omaha Nebraska for business and then going to drive to Vegas for Pleasure. :)

Looking up the law's it seems pointless to me to take it with me as I wont be able to have it with me most of the time.

I was thinking of taking it with me and having it for the few states I can actually carry it loaded in the car and then have it locked in the car the rest of the time.

Am I better off just leaving it at home rather then risk taking it with me?

Some of the states make it sound to me like I cant even have my gun locked and unloaded in my car.

I would like some opinions on what I should do.

BobR

imported post

I am getting ready to take a raod trip from WA to Las vegas, San Diego and back up through OR. I may not be able to carry my gun at all times, but it will be close by and even closer at night when I am in the hotels.

I vote that you take it with you. It is much better in the hotel room than the phone. ;)

bob

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Good point. But I am most concerned with how I can transport it.

Should I be ok if I just lock it up and have it in my factory Glock box somewhere out of reach/sight?

Oh I also wont be at any hotels until Vegas. We are driving non stop.
And I know in Vegas I will be drunk most of the time especially since drinks are free when gambling. So unless I am sober I know I will not keep my gun around me. And I don't think I will be sober...

Hammer

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
Good point. But I am most concerned with how I can transport it.

Should I be ok if I just lock it up and have it in my factory Glock box somewhere out of reach/sight?

Oh I also wont be at any hotels until Vegas. We are driving non stop.
And I know in Vegas I will be drunk most of the time especially since drinks are free when gambling. So unless I am sober I know I will not keep my gun around me. And I don't think I will be sober...
You can buy a small "safe" a sheet metal box with a cable tie that locks with a key. I have one under the seat of my truck. I would not travel interstate without a pistol as protection. I have had to draw in a remote area on what I will term "hiway robbers"
ETA for the po-po would have been 1/2 hour or more, if there were cell service, which there was not.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Take a look at this handgun storage case. You can find them just about anywhere for under $30.
You can also mount them just about anywhere. I'm working on a rail kit for mine like you find on computer servers for easy access.

gtparlette

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Take a look at this handgun storage case. You can find them just about anywhere for under $30.
You can also mount them just about anywhere. I'm working on a rail kit for mine like you find on computer servers for easy access.
I got one installed in my truck they work great.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

My main concern was South Dakota

§ 22-14-9 Carrying pistol or revolver without a permit as misdemeanor.
Any person, other than a law enforcement officer when acting as such, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor if
he:
(2) Carries a pistol or revolver, loaded or unloaded, concealed in any vehicle operated by him, without a
permit as provided in chapter § 23-7.
The Attorney General gave an Unofficial Opinion on Car Carry on September 17, 2004. The Attorney
General Stated that South Dakota Law allowed anyone to carry a loaded Firearm inside a vehicle without a
permit as long as the firearm was visible. You can read the Attorney Generals Opinion at:
http://www.sdsos.gov/adminservices/adminpdfs/scan.pdf

I will be driving a cargo van. So for the few states it says it needs to be Visible how do I go about that? The only room really available is on the dashboard.

Is it ok if its between the seats on the ground but not covered by anything?

I will be traveling thru the following states in order.
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
South Dakota
Iowa
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah
Nevada
California
Oregon

I was generally planning on having it in the Glove box for most of the trip.
Then putting it in the safe when I get to Vegas.

I do have my WA CPL.

Should I just bolt my Serpa into the dash? What states would I need to unload? And hide it? I Know I will have it locked up thru Cali and Oregon.

j2l3

imported post

I put mine away when I was there a couple of months ago. Their laws were confusing and I wasn't there more than a few hours.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

You should be OK in Oregon too, depending on what cities you go through.