• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about San Francisco

swatspyder

imported post

My girlfriend and her female friend are going down to San Francisco, California in late September for about 4 days, 3 nights.

What areas should they stay away from and also, what are some things they can go do/see while they are there? They are both 20 y/o.

I know it can be dangerous down there at night, but my girlfriend and her friend are in their own mindset and don't really care. :cuss: I'm not going to fight her on staying down there, so I'd rather prepare her as much as I can.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

The tenderloin is pretty sketchy, especially at night.
The area around Market and 6th st is where the drug dealers hang out.
Dolores park at night is a great place to get mugged, during the day it's fine as long as you keep an eye on your stuff.
Anywhere near Hunter's Point is sketchy, but there's nothing to do down there so she likely wouldn't be over there anyway.
The area bordered by Gough and Webster, and Turk and Fulton is where the low-income housing projects are. I'd avoid that area at night. There's also a little branch off of that rectangle which extends up Webster to Hayes that I wouldn't want to be walking in at night.

Overall it's a pretty safe city as long as you have your wits about you. Neighborhoods like the Haight, Inner Sunset, the Richmond, the Marina, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Cole Valley, the Castro, NOPA, and Noe Valley are safe places. Downtown and SOMA are just slightly less safe. The Mission is slightly less so than those.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Just make sure that they know that they aren't allowed to carry concealed handguns in their purses... even if they keep it well-hidden where nobody except a mugger would ever see it, and there would be almost zero chance the cops would ever find out... that would be a 100% BAD idea. I can't imagine it would be worth the slight risk of getting caught to be able to defend yourself against a mugger/rapist/murderer. I certainly wouldn't advocate this sort of lawlessness.

Now, for the 'legal' method of carry: LUCC (Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry). One may carry an unloaded firearm concealed in a fully-enclosed and locked case. Of course, this means the criminals (who carry loaded and don't use a locked case) have the jump on you... but it's the most feasible 'legal' option available at this point.

("Unloaded" means no ammo in the chamber or in the cylinder/mag/clip inserted in the gun. One can have full mags/clips/cylinders in their possession, as long as they aren't attached to the gun "in a firing position".)

Open carry is just too risky with all the school zones one might not be aware of, but yet might be arrested/charged for violating.

Hope this helps.

Bull Frog

imported post

Doesn't help at all. It leaves law abiding citizens open to criminal attack. You open carry advocates are doing a good job, BUT ... when a mugger jumps you, and you see your life passing before your eyes .... well, it just won't do. I favor bearing loaded firearms. Period.

Anything that restricts that right is unconstitutional. Period. Except for convicted felons, spouse beaters, habitual drunks, drug abusers,et cetera.

But, guess what? Nothing restricts dangerous felons from obtaining stolen weapons illegally, so you all better get ready.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bull Frog wrote:
Doesn't help at all. It leaves law abiding citizens open to criminal attack. You open carry advocates are doing a good job, BUT ... when a mugger jumps you, and you see your life passing before your eyes .... well, it just won't do. I favor bearing loaded firearms. Period.

Anything that restricts that right is unconstitutional. Period. Except for convicted felons, spouse beaters, habitual drunks, drug abusers,et cetera.
So are you saying that you carry a loaded firearm in protest of the unconstitutionality of the restrictions we currently have placed on the second amendment?

If that's the case, then I applaud you sir and hope your court arguments will persuade all that need to be. If that's not the case, then what exactly are you saying? The way you've put it, I feel like I'm wimping out by not going out there and carrying a loaded weapon.

I don't think anybody here is all about the U in UOC; it puts us in tough spots tactically and makes open carrying a much tougher tool to utilize safely.