• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st. handgun purchase

ecocks

imported post

As an example of how first purchases often go, my wife and I stopped at Sportsmen's Warehouse today so she could try a few handguns on for size. After going through the offerings ofBeretta, Springfield, Taurus and Smith& Wesson, she settled on an H&K USP .40 Compact. Now I would like to find someone nearby with one so she can shoot it but nothing beats the one who is going to carry it actually toughing and hefting each one with an eye for feel and how they will carry. Christmas list is growing and that was a significant change.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I completely agree with HankT's recommendation to visit gun shows. I left this one out and I should not have done so since I nearly always recommend this to anyone just starting out in this culture. Gun shows afford a great opportunity to see a lot and handle a lot of different firearms. What you read about may very well now be right in front of you on a display table. And usually the prices are better there as well.

Also, find a good gun shop in your area and patronize them, too. They can become your friend quickly you will find.

Self defense handguns are very personal items and you are getting great info here about things to consider before you take your final decision. Please keep us posted as you go through the process.

TehGruu

imported post

notuzin wrote:
Springfield Armory XD 45ACP.....any opinions?

If you want something in plastic, you could do worse. The XD line is very good. Thetried and true.45 ACP is also awise defense choice as well. The main question though, how does it feel in YOUR hands?

-Gruu

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

notuzin wrote:
Springfield Armory XD 45ACP.....any opinions?
It's on of my favorites. I take it with me most of the time, and use it in IDPA matches. Accurate, good capacity, fits well in the hand, and well built.