• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved to Reno

iSharpShooter

imported post

We just moved to Lemon Valley (N. Reno) from Southern California. I've been coming to Nevada and owned property here for years, so I'm no stranger to non-resident open carry, and, I've done it in this state (Reno, Carson and Elko) since I got my first sidearm.

Now that I'm working on becoming a resident, what do I need to do, if anything, to get my firearms legal here??? I come with two Glocks, an M4 and a few other riles. I keep reading about this Blue Card, but it seems like that's only for new purchases and in some ways the requirements are almost as confusing as they are in California.

So, do I need to do anything? Or, am I already legal by being the legal owner of all these arms??? And, if I do have to register/transfer my arms, do I have to actually be a Nevada resident (with valid ID) before I can do so?

Thanks,

-b

jfrey123

imported post

Welcome to Reno!!! I live in Sparks.

Blue Cards are for registering hand guns only, and these only apply for Clark County (Vegas area). There is no registration up here in the Free North. You brought your guns with you, you own them, end of story.

You are required, not by law but by principal, to go out and get the "real" magazines for your Glocks. Full capacity, none of that wimpy ten round stuff. Get some "rea" magazines for your M4 as well, and put a pistol grip on it. Everything else California said you can't do you are required to do.

wrightme

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:

Blue Cards are for registering hand guns only, and these only apply for Clark County (Vegas area). There is no registration up here in the Free North. You brought your guns with you, you own them, end of story.

You are required, not by law but by principal, to go out and get the "real" magazines for your Glocks. Full capacity, none of that wimpy ten round stuff. Get some "rea" magazines for your M4 as well, and put a pistol grip on it. Everything else California said you can't do you are required to do.
:lol: But, not to worry. The only real consequence for failing to do so will be to forever carry the "not-quite-former Californian" label. ;)
No, not really. Welcome to this side of the curtain.

iSharpShooter

imported post

LOL... I built the M4 in Elko, it's not exactly what I'd call California Legal, in fact, it's never been in California! It's got all the features that California would frown on and lots of 30 round magazines!

Which magazines would be recommended for the Glock's? I have a 21 and a 23. I've seen lots of magainzes but none with good reviews. Yes, the ten rounds are small, I'll admit, but I've never had a jam with any of them and I've put thousands of rounds through those pistols.

I'm also looking for a large capacity magazine for a CZ 527 that's setup for .223. I can't seem to find anything larger than a five round on google. Yes, I know it's a varmint rifle, but I absolutely love that gun!

-b

jfrey123

imported post

Glocks are my very favorite. My recommendation would be to get OEM Glock magazines, the ones that Glock makes. Lots of companies make their version of a Glock magazine, but in my short life on this earth nothing compares to Glock Perfection, especially in the magazines.

You can do the big box stores for magazines: Sportsman's Warehouse on Moana and Kietzkie or Cabela's out on I-80.

Local flair, US Firearm's Academy at 294 EMoana lane is a good choice for tactical guys and they have a full line of Glock and XD mags. Another good local store is Nevada Armory near the intersection of Freeport and Linda in Sparks. Very small store, but good people and a handful of magazines ready to go.

Probably the biggest thing you have trouble finding is a "California Compliant magazine." I've got a few of the Glock 10 rounders for when I go camping in The People's Republik and it took me a long time searching in town to find them.

iSharpShooter

imported post

Thanks for the info and the names of the local small guys! I've been to Cabela's and Scheels, and I like Scheels, those guys know how to stock ammo! But I much perfer dealing with the small guys and do what small part I can to help them out!

DOH! A google search for OEM Glock Magazines turned up exactly what I wanted, found them at Midway and have half a dozen for each on order now. I didn't do too much mail order in Kaliphornia because my neighbor was a current NARC and retired ATF and a real a** to boot. Should be here soon!

sakeneko

imported post

jfrey123 wrote
Probably the biggest thing you have trouble finding is a "California Compliant magazine." I've got a few of the Glock 10 rounders for when I go camping in The People's Republik and it took me a long time searching in town to find them.
No kidding. My husband and I moved up to Reno from SoCal just under a year ago. We weren't previously firearms owners, but have gone native -- CCWs and concealable pistols that we both carry regularly. :) Problem is, his family lives in SoCal and I work out of an office in NoCal, so we spend a significant amount of time in California. His sidearm is a Springfield XD-M, and that model comes with19 round magazines. There are no California legal 10-round magazines made by Springfield or planned, since they don't sell this gun in California.

We may end up getting him the 1911 he wants, and I consider a new toy ;P, sooner just so that he has something he can legally take with him to California. Otherwise his brother the police officer and gun nut will have to visit us to go shooting together. (Come to think of it, that isn't such a bad idea....) ;-)

jfrey123

imported post

sakeneko wrote:
His sidearm is a Springfield XD-M, and that model comes with19 round magazines. There are no California legal 10-round magazines made by Springfield or planned, since they don't sell this gun in California.

Other than the fact that I'm a hardcore Glocker, that is my biggest problem with the XD pistols. They actually have different model numbers for the "California compliant" pistols- it's the same pistol with a 10 rounder from the factory -but because it ships with a different model number it's the only one that made it on the Approved Handgun List. If you bought a XD in Nevada, there's no legal way to take it to Cali.

Unlike fantastic Glocks on the other hand. They're all the same part number/modelnumberfrom the factory, minus which mag they ship with. Just pick up some "non-assault" magazines and you're good to go.

sakeneko

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
sakeneko wrote:
His sidearm is a Springfield XD-M, and that model comes with19 round magazines. There are no California legal 10-round magazines made by Springfield or planned, since they don't sell this gun in California.
Other than the fact that I'm a hardcore Glocker, that is my biggest problem with the XD pistols. They actually have different model numbers for the "California compliant" pistols- it's the same pistol with a 10 rounder from the factory -but because it ships with a different model number it's the only one that made it on the Approved Handgun List. If you bought a XD in Nevada, there's no legal way to take it to Cali.
You got the XD mixed up with the XD-M. They're actually different pistols -- different magazines and parts are required because the XD ones don't fit the XD-M. If he'd gotten an XD, we could order California-compliant magazines for it, although finding them in stock in Reno might be a problem. But neither Springfield nor (as far as we can determine) anybody else makes California-compliant magazines for the XD-M.

He was originally looking for a Glock last spring, but nobody had any in stock. He loves the XD-M, though, says it fits his hand like it was made for it. Same thing happened to me -- I was looking for a Ruger SP-101, but there were none in stock, so I ended up with an S&W Model 60. I can't say I've been unhappy with it, though. ;-)

calmp9

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:

God, I hate that 10 shot crap we have to put up with here. I have some of the "real" mags that I leave at my brother's house. I can use those in Nevada all I want. It's so tempting to take them back home. I can't do it, though.