• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st encounter with a LEO and my gun

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

A friend of mine was stopped for speeding. I was carrying concealed. The trooper came up on my side (passenger) as we were on a busy expressway. As we were being stopped I got out my CCW and ID and laid it on my lap, both hands on the dash when he approached me. To my suprise the trooper was not alarmed at all. He told me I didn't have to have my hands on the dash like that. I told him I had a gun on me and would rather not move my hands until he knew of my firearm. It was all very smooth. He disarmed me (politely) and told me it was just for our safety and that as soon as he was finished with the traffic stop I could have it back. He came back in about 3 or 4 minutes and gave my bud his license and registation back (and only a warning 67/55), handed me my Glock and told us to have a safe day.

So my 1st experience was a positive one. Great job, ISP!

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Indiana has no duty to inform. If it was conclealed why complicate things more. If he asked you to get out of the car and it may be noticed then I might inform but otherwise in your case I would have used "don't ask, don't tell"

Prometheus

imported post

It would have been much better had he not disarmed for noreal reason.

In Indiana a person w/ a LTCH has nevershot ata LEO.

I have to go the other way and say bad form on the part of the ISP officer.

It's also another reason why I never volunteer that I am carrying. Gun handling on the side of the road is an invitation for disaster. More than one cop has 'accidentally' discharged a pistol doing that. Luckily no ones been hit/killed yet.

stormchaser

imported post

Soon2BaLEO wrote:
A friend of mine was stopped for speeding. I was carrying concealed. The trooper came up on my side (passenger) as we were on a busy expressway. As we were being stopped I got out my CCW and ID and laid it on my lap, both hands on the dash when he approached me. To my suprise the trooper was not alarmed at all. He told me I didn't have to have my hands on the dash like that. I told him I had a gun on me and would rather not move my hands until he knew of my firearm. It was all very smooth. He disarmed me (politely) and told me it was just for our safety and that as soon as he was finished with the traffic stop I could have it back. He came back in about 3 or 4 minutes and gave my bud his license and registation back (and only a warning 67/55), handed me my Glock and told us to have a safe day.

you gave over your weapon to an unarmed cop? hope you at least seen a badge

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

stormchaser wrote:
Soon2BaLEO wrote:

Are you on friggin'drugs? Where in h3ll have you ever seen an unarmed law enforcement officer? :banghead:Furthermore, where in my post do you read the officer was unarmed? In the words of Red Foreman from That 70's Show,DUMBA55!:celebrate

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Soon2BaLEO wrote:

Why would you get all ready to show your ID .... when you were not the driver?

Was your gun concealed or were you OC?

Decoligny

imported post

stormchaser wrote:
Soon2BaLEO wrote:

He was unALarmed, not unarmed. Learn to slow down a little and read each word.

stormchaser

imported post

Soon2BaLEO wrote:
stormchaser wrote:
Soon2BaLEO wrote:

Are you on friggin'drugs? Where in h3ll have you ever seen an unarmed law enforcement officer? :banghead:Furthermore, where in my post do you read the officer was unarmed? In the words of Red Foreman from That 70's Show,DUMBA55!:celebrate
a want to be cop calling me a dumbass, now that's cop mentality,you'll fit right in:lol:

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

stormchaser wrote:
Soon2BaLEO wrote:
stormchaser wrote:
Soon2BaLEO wrote:

a want to be cop calling me a dumbass, now that's cop mentality,you'll fit right in:lol:
Yep! And I'm going to Owensboro.