• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry Badges

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

This is just a thought. In Indiana you have the option of getting a lifetime permit (which I carry). Since I will have this for a lifetime, would it be considered corny to get a custom made conceal carry badge with my license number and name on it? Or would that be considered too much like impersonating a PO (which I would never do being that it would screw my employement opportunities in LE)?

Indiana issues a pink piece of paper. We are supposed to keep this for a lifetime for crying out loud. I was looking into something more durable and came across these CC badges. Just curious. Your thoughts and opinions?

ODA 226

imported post

Welcome to OCDO! Please try the search function. This topic has been talked about AD NAUSEUM!

The answer is NO.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Soon2BaLEO wrote:
Indiana issues a pink piece of paper. We are supposed to keep this for a lifetime for crying out loud. I was looking into something more durable and came across these CC badges. Just curious. Your thoughts and opinions?

Friends don't let friends buy those stinkin' badges...
68.gif

large_concealed_weapon_permit_silver.jpg

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO! Please try the search function. This topic has been talked about AD NAUSEUM!

The answer is NO.
Thanks! New to the forum. I did a search and found the thread. My question is emphatically answered. It is indeed corny and I will not be getting one. I will make copies of my piece of paper and laminate them so that I don't have to pay Indiana 20 bucks everytime it gets wrinkled up and illegible.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Soon2BaLEO wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

The answer is NO.
Thanks! New to the forum. I did a search and found the thread. My question is emphatically answered. It is indeed corny and I will not be getting one. I will make copies of my piece of paper and laminate them so that I don't have to pay Indiana 20 bucks everytime it gets wrinkled up and illegible.

You may want to make sure that a copy of the origional card would be considered valid. Since it's a lifetime card they should be happy to re-issue it when it becomes worn.

Just a thought.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Wannabe's and other lower forms of life buy those ******* badges. Everyone else with two or more working brain cells laughs at those who buy them. And if you are close to becoming a LEO you should know this sort of thing. Unless you want to make sure you have a "badge" one way or another. Sorry, I have no patience for people who succumb to the idea of carrying a badge and a gun when not a LEO.

FightingGlock19

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Sorry, I have no patience for people who succumb to the idea of carrying a badge and a gun when not a LEO.
What about the tools I've seen, on this forum, that carry handcuffs with 'em when they open carry?

david.ross

imported post

catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Sorry, I have no patience for people who succumb to the idea of carrying a badge and a gun when not a LEO.
What about the tools I've seen, on this forum, that carry handcuffs with 'em when they open carry?
Don't be a jack a$$. If someone wants to carry a restraining device, there is nothing wrong with it. You sound like a complete ignoramus.

I will state though, I don't recommend carrying handcuffs or handcuff keys since they may be regulated. i.e. Florida, possession of a concealed handcuff key is a felony.

Homeless man arrested facing third degree felony charges for carrying a handcuff key around his neck
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1224503.html

If a person must carry a restraining device, carry zip cuffs, zip ties, very flexible belt, or even a long strip of material(plastic bag, etc).

A restraining device doesn't have to be a set of handcuffs, it can be improvised.

Buying a 140USD set of ASP triple locking handcuffs you'll never use is sort of ridiculous anyway. Personally, I'd rather buy some gun upgrades or ammo if I must spend the money on personal security.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

A badge? Only if you want to be thrown in jail for impersonation. Besides, people barely pay attention to badges, %10 of the population has one I think.

Handcuffs? Now that's asinine. You can't legally use a restraining device inder any circumstance I'm aware of unless you have a badge of some sort. That is, a badge issued legally, by an authority of our republic. Not some silly toy you buy at the gun show.

david.ross

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
Handcuffs? Now that's asinine. You can't legally use a restraining device inder any circumstance I'm aware of unless you have a badge of some sort. That is, a badge issued legally, by an authority of our republic. Not some silly toy you buy at the gun show.
Incorrect. You shouldn't post without at least performing a quick google search.

Do some research on citizen's arrest, thank you. Also, you can use a restraint device on someone and just detain them.

North carolina doesn't have any provisions for citizens arrest, though a person may detain another under specific rules.
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/!apr97.htm

Other states have laws for a citizens arrest, best to research on them since each state differs.

If you arrest someone, you're responsible for their safety. If you use a restraint device on a person and the person runs in the middle of the road only to get hit, your arse will be thoroughly roasted by the DA.

There might be states where a restraint device is unlawful to use during a citizen's arrest.
Do research before hitting the reply button, thanks.

Daddyo

imported post

The state of New York requires that security guard's badges be a plain metal rectangle so that it cannot be confused with a police officer's shield. Might be something to consider, basically a metal copy of your permit, but definitely keep it in your wallet and not on display.

ODA 226

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
The state of New York requires that security guard's badges be a plain metal rectangle so that it cannot be confused with a police officer's shield. Might be something to consider, basically a metal copy of your permit, but definitely keep it in your wallet and not on display.
Or better yet, don't carry a BS badge at all! It will only cause you grief in the longrun!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
I think that a non-LEO citizen walking around with handcuffs on his belt is definitely roaming in wannabe cop-land. It's embarassing, really.

Soon2BaLEO

imported post

HankT wrote:
catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
I think that a non-LEO citizen walking around with handcuffs on his belt is definitely roaming in wannabe cop-land. It's embarassing, really.
Very much so!

Dahwg

imported post

HankT wrote:
catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly! Unless you specifically need a pair of handcuffs for your job (i.e. security, LEO) then carrying them around with you is a definite no. no. Now, if you have teenagers at home...:lol:

david.ross

imported post

HankT wrote:
catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
You do realize peace officers(constables, etc) carry cuffs as well. So do bounty hunters. I'm sure correctional officers carry cuffs as well.

LEO are very different from Peace Officers.

Stop with the ridiculous, only cops/LEO statements.

TFred

imported post

Interesting coincidence that this was in my local paper today. Of course in this case there would have been no way for the woman to be able to see if it had said "Concealed Carry" or not. Clearly this one is not the brightest of individuals...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/092009/09122009/493293

Flashing badge results in charge

Man charged with impersonating a cop

Date published: 9/12/2009

BY KEITH EPPS

A Stafford man was charged with impersonating a police officer after he flashed a badge at another motorist, police said.

Sheriff's spokesman Bill Kennedy said Deputy Kurt McBride went to the area of Mountain View and Joshua roads about 7:10 p.m. Thursday after receiving a complaint about a vehicle being driven recklessly.

A woman told police that a man in a black Nissan had been driving erratically on Garrisonville Road, swerving around vehicles and cutting in and out of traffic.

She said the man cut her off near Parkway Boulevard. When she slowed down to let him pass, the woman said he flashed a silver badge at her and turned onto Joshua Road.

The woman got the license number, and deputies went to the suspect's home on Enfield Drive.

Kennedy said the suspect drove by as the deputies were approaching and was stopped in the 300 block of Monticello Drive.

Kennedy said the man initially denied having a badge, then admitted he had tossed it out of the window. Police found the badge in a ditch on Monticello Drive.

Kennedy said the suspect said he'd gotten the badge online and flashed it at the woman because she cut him off and he wanted to "teach her not to mess with people."

Ryuichi Walker, 26, was charged with impersonating a police officer and driving on a suspended license. He was jailed under a $2,500 bond.

TFred

imported post

Soon2BaLEO wrote:
This is just a thought. In Indiana you have the option of getting a lifetime permit (which I carry). Since I will have this for a lifetime, would it be considered corny to...
By the way, the image you included in your original post is hosted on a web site that is not working at the moment. This greatly slows down the load time for this thread while it tries each time to go get a .jpg file that it can't find.

http://www.collectiblebadges.com/media/large_concealed_weapon_permit_silver.jpg

You might want to go edit your post to remove the image, at least until the website comes back up.

TFred

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
HankT wrote:
catass wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
You do realize peace officers(constables, etc) carry cuffs as well. So do bounty hunters. I'm sure correctional officers carry cuffs as well.

LEO are very different from Peace Officers.

Stop with the ridiculous, only cops/LEO statements.

You niggle. Your examples don't change my statement.

Do you carry cuffs IK?