Thread: Why I Carry

Post imported post

Why I Carry...I've served on the local school board14 years,a few years ago, a mother of a student (and former student) was addressing the board on her concerns regarding school safety. She was standing at the head of our table and I was seated just to her right, my best friend and fellow board member was seated across the table from me. During this mothers ranting, I just got a gut feeling she was going to do something stupid. She did. She reached into her purse and pulled out a revolver and pointed it directly at my face and then panned to her left, pointed it at my friend.As ironic as may seem, I had already poised myself for defense before she ever acted. I lunged toward her, grabbing her hands and the gun. I remember looking back at the other board members and the rest of the crown and noticing nobody had moved. Everyone was frozen and I'm sure you couldn't drive a nail where the sun dosen't shine. At this moment, the mother is now shouting 'It's empty, it's empty' and the revolver swung open and it was empty. When it was pointed at me, I wasn't looking to see if it was empty. All I saw was agun in my face. The situation was under control in a matter of minutes and she was detained by a few of us untillaw enforcement arrived. Needless to say, a couple of other parents in attendance claimed I overreacted due to the gun being empty. I stress,as a funeral director, I've buried a lot of people killed by 'empty' guns, I wasn't going to be next. The mother tried to have me arrested for assault, but failed. I learned a valuable lesson that evening. Be Prepared. Unfortunately, we do live in a society where we never know what the next minute holds. Be prepared, be smart, be educated, be armed, but mostly, be prepared. That's why I carry.

Yes, the mother was prosecuted, but due to the gun being 'empty' and just trying to make a point, recieved a light sentence of no jail time, banned from school property, no contact with the school board. ( I often ask "how strong is that KRS posted on the front door of our school stating 10 years imprisonment and a$10,000.00 fine".

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This woman was ranting about school safety and she pulls a gun out and points it at people? :what:Please, tell me she doesn't have a half dozen offspring.

This time it wasn't loaded. Next time it might be.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

You acted as you should under such circumstances.. to hell with what others may think. Those who claimed you overreacted can make such claims after the fact because they have, intheir higher-than-mighty opinions of themselves the arrogant position that it is YOU who acted questionably and not the woman with the gun. One has got to wonder what they would have said or done had the gun actually been loaded.

Just curious. What was this woman's motivation for doing this? Lack of security in the school perhaps??? She had a lot of nerve trying to get you arrested for assault when she herself is guilty of asault with a deadly weapon among other violations.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

She claimed to the State Attorney that she was just trying to prove how easy it is to get a gun inside a school.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Undertaker wrote:
    She claimed to the State Attorney that she was just trying to prove how easy it is to get a gun inside a school.
    She could have displayed the weapon without doing so in a threatening manner (pointing it at people).

Post imported post

Undertaker wrote:
    And she was right, too. Successfully showed how stupid gun-free zones are.

And while she no doubt scared the daylights out of those present, I doubt the anti-gun people among them got the right message.

Post imported post

Undertaker wrote:
    Well DUHHHH!

Banned

Post imported post

Wow, its amazing how the law can and will be applied in any given circumstance.
    Because she was a mother and tying to make a point, they allowed a flexing of the law to accomodate here stupidity.
    Now it will happen again, or something similar and someone will die.

Shame really, as someone said, hopefully she does not have many offspring to add to the stupid pool

I'd bet someone said "there outta be a law" after she got off so lightly. hahah
    Yeah there was, you just have to apply it correctly.
    IMO
    Congrats on the move, be glad you didn't break her neck, itd be you in the slammer, and she'd be a saint.
    RJ

Post imported post

She's lucky no one else was breaking the law. Can you imagine if she was shot by someone who cared more about personal protection than some silly victim disarmament zone?

I can see it now. She pulls out an unloaded pistol thinking she'll prove a point. Another parent notices and pulls out a loaded pistol and fires it at her thinking that she is intent on killing everyone. I bet if that happened that parent would get the book thrown at them.

Post imported post

holy ****, Now I wasn't there, but if she pulled that out and pointed it at you, trying to get a shock effect from everyone, I can guarantee that I would have shot her no questions asked.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

McX

Post imported post

The common sense rule is; Don't pull it unless you intend to use it. Illustrative purposes are not a valid reason to draw!

Post imported post

Oh, my. And she was right next to you? I wish it'd been me. I practice deflect/disarm/counterattack all the time, it would have been fun to take it away from her & see how she liked it being pointed back at her.

Of course, she'd just use that experience to bolster the argument that if someone could disarm *her* that easily, then no one should carry pistols because of the same risk.

Post imported post

I'm not a cruel or bad person...BUT...she would have been the recipiant of a wicked right cross along with the 'grab'.:shock:

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    I'm not a cruel or bad person...BUT...she would have been the recipiant of a wicked right cross along with the 'grab'.:shock:
    Having put some one in fear of their life, could have made her the recipient of a much more serious defensive response.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Undertaker wrote:
    Was she also trying to prove how easy it is to get shot by a CCW holder in a school? look at the boy who tried to go on a shooting rampage in OK........was shot by a armed teacher. that woman is lucky noone there was carrying a "LOADED" weapon.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Of course any student entering the school with a water pistol would be expelled and prosecuted.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

It seems to be getting to the point now where even if a 1st grader tells his class that his dad is a hunter and the family goes on hunting trips that in no time the school will be implanting probes inside the child's brain and injections in his arms to rid the child of the Conservative Disease Disorder.

Post imported post

Hell, insome places a valid CCW exempts one from the GFSZ laws. If that had happened in Missouri and another attendee had shot her, the other attendee would have been within the law.

There's just too much to go wrong in a situation like that for that woman to even think that was a good idea.

Post imported post

Justin wrote:
    Hell, in*some places a valid CCW exempts one from the GFSZ laws.* If that had happened in Missouri and another attendee had shot her, the other attendee would have been within the law.

There's just too much to go wrong in a situation like that for that woman to even think that was a good idea.*
    You are presuming that she actually THOUGHT about anything other than scaring people. Clearly the facts as presented do not support that view. These kind of idiots do not think that far ahead. If they did they would be pro self defense, and everyone would be armed.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

if it were in florida...........whoever may have shot her would have gone scott free...........the "stand your ground" act is an amazing thing, you feel threatened you can kill instantly without question.

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Justin wrote:
    Hell, insome places a valid CCW exempts one from the GFSZ laws. If that had happened in Missouri and another attendee had shot her, the other attendee would have been within the law.

There's just too much to go wrong in a situation like that for that woman to even think that was a good idea.
    You are presuming that she actually THOUGHT about anything other than scaring people. Clearly the facts as presented do not support that view. These kind of idiots do not think that far ahead. If they did they would be pro self defense, and everyone would be armed.

Regards
    I don't think we can presume to know what anyone is thinking.

It this case, the facts we are given are that the woman was "ranting", then she suddenly pulls a gun from her purse and points it at board members.

If an aggravated person points a gun at someone, it seems very reasonable to presume that the person means harm, so defensive measures seem warranted based on this.

Post imported post

Xader wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Justin wrote:
    Hell, in*some places a valid CCW exempts one from the GFSZ laws.* If that had happened in Missouri and another attendee had shot her, the other attendee would have been within the law.

There's just too much to go wrong in a situation like that for that woman to even think that was a good idea.*

Regards
    I don't think we can presume to know what anyone is thinking.

It this case, the facts we are given are that the woman was "ranting", then she suddenly pulls a gun from her purse and points it at board members.

If an aggravated person points a gun at someone, it seems very reasonable to presume that the person means harm, so defensive measures seem warranted based on this.
    Like I said ... She did not think it through.