• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I Carry

Undertaker

imported post

Why I Carry...I've served on the local school board14 years,a few years ago, a mother of a student (and former student) was addressing the board on her concerns regarding school safety. She was standing at the head of our table and I was seated just to her right, my best friend and fellow board member was seated across the table from me. During this mothers ranting, I just got a gut feeling she was going to do something stupid. She did. She reached into her purse and pulled out a revolver and pointed it directly at my face and then panned to her left, pointed it at my friend.As ironic as may seem, I had already poised myself for defense before she ever acted. I lunged toward her, grabbing her hands and the gun. I remember looking back at the other board members and the rest of the crown and noticing nobody had moved. Everyone was frozen and I'm sure you couldn't drive a nail where the sun dosen't shine. At this moment, the mother is now shouting 'It's empty, it's empty' and the revolver swung open and it was empty. When it was pointed at me, I wasn't looking to see if it was empty. All I saw was agun in my face. The situation was under control in a matter of minutes and she was detained by a few of us untillaw enforcement arrived. Needless to say, a couple of other parents in attendance claimed I overreacted due to the gun being empty. I stress,as a funeral director, I've buried a lot of people killed by 'empty' guns, I wasn't going to be next. The mother tried to have me arrested for assault, but failed. I learned a valuable lesson that evening. Be Prepared. Unfortunately, we do live in a society where we never know what the next minute holds. Be prepared, be smart, be educated, be armed, but mostly, be prepared. That's why I carry.

Yes, the mother was prosecuted, but due to the gun being 'empty' and just trying to make a point, recieved a light sentence of no jail time, banned from school property, no contact with the school board. ( I often ask "how strong is that KRS posted on the front door of our school stating 10 years imprisonment and a$10,000.00 fine".

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This woman was ranting about school safety and she pulls a gun out and points it at people? :what:please, tell me she doesn't have a half dozen offspring.

This time it wasn't loaded. Next time it might be.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

You acted as you should under such circumstances.. to hell with what others may think. Those who claimed you overreacted can make such claims after the fact because they have, intheir higher-than-mighty opinions of themselves the arrogant position that it is YOU who acted questionably and not the woman with the gun. One has got to wonder what they would have said or done had the gun actually been loaded.

Just curious. What was this woman's motivation for doing this? Lack of security in the school perhaps??? She had a lot of nerve trying to get you arrested for assault when she herself is guilty of asault with a deadly weapon among other violations.

Tomahawk

imported post

Undertaker wrote:
She claimed to the State Attorney that she was just trying to prove how easy it is to get a gun inside a school.

And she was right, too. Successfully showed how stupid gun-free zones are.

And while she no doubt scared the daylights out of those present, I doubt the anti-gun people among them got the right message.

RJ

Banned
imported post

Wow, its amazing how the law can and will be applied in any given circumstance.
Because she was a mother and tying to make a point, they allowed a flexing of the law to accomodate here stupidity.
Now it will happen again, or something similar and someone will die.

Shame really, as someone said, hopefully she does not have many offspring to add to the stupid pool

I'd bet someone said "there outta be a law" after she got off so lightly. hahah
Yeah there was, you just have to apply it correctly.
IMO
Congrats on the move, be glad you didn't break her neck, itd be you in the slammer, and she'd be a saint.
RJ

N00blet45

imported post

She's lucky no one else was breaking the law. Can you imagine if she was shot by someone who cared more about personal protection than some silly victim disarmament zone?

I can see it now. She pulls out an unloaded pistol thinking she'll prove a point. Another parent notices and pulls out a loaded pistol and fires it at her thinking that she is intent on killing everyone. I bet if that happened that parent would get the book thrown at them.

jeremy05

imported post

holy shit, Now I wasn't there, but if she pulled that out and pointed it at you, trying to get a shock effect from everyone, I can guarantee that I would have shot her no questions asked.

M

McX

imported post

The common sense rule is; Don't pull it unless you intend to use it. Illustrative purposes are not a valid reason to draw!

rhenriksen

imported post

Oh, my. And she was right next to you? I wish it'd been me. I practice deflect/disarm/counterattack all the time, it would have been fun to take it away from her & see how she liked it being pointed back at her.

Of course, she'd just use that experience to bolster the argument that if someone could disarm *her* that easily, then no one should carry pistols because of the same risk.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I'm not a cruel or bad person...BUT...she would have been the recipiant of a wicked right cross along with the 'grab'.:shock:
Having put some one in fear of their life, could have made her the recipient of a much more serious defensive response.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

Undertaker wrote:
She claimed to the State Attorney that she was just trying to prove how easy it is to get a gun inside a school.
Was she also trying to prove how easy it is to get shot by a CCW holder in a school? look at the boy who tried to go on a shooting rampage in OK........was shot by a armed teacher. that woman is lucky noone there was carrying a "LOADED" weapon.

protector84

imported post

It seems to be getting to the point now where even if a 1st grader tells his class that his dad is a hunter and the family goes on hunting trips that in no time the school will be implanting probes inside the child's brain and injections in his arms to rid the child of the Conservative Disease Disorder.

Justin

imported post

Hell, insome places a valid CCW exempts one from the GFSZ laws. If that had happened in Missouri and another attendee had shot her, the other attendee would have been within the law.

There's just too much to go wrong in a situation like that for that woman to even think that was a good idea.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Justin wrote:
Hell, in some places a valid CCW exempts one from the GFSZ laws.  If that had happened in Missouri and another attendee had shot her, the other attendee would have been within the law.

There's just too much to go wrong in a situation like that for that woman to even think that was a good idea. 

You are presuming that she actually THOUGHT about anything other than scaring people. Clearly the facts as presented do not support that view. These kind of idiots do not think that far ahead. If they did they would be pro self defense, and everyone would be armed.

Regards

jay75009

imported post

if it were in florida...........whoever may have shot her would have gone scott free...........the "stand your ground" act is an amazing thing, you feel threatened you can kill instantly without question.