• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What If?

Undertaker

imported post

As we all know, firearms are prohibited on school property (KY). I've often wondered if I would have handled the situation below any different now 4 years later and many firearm classes and ccdw permit now. I suppose not due to the regulation. The situation goes through my mind often though. COMMENTS AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME.

Why I Carry...I've served on the local school board14 years,a few years ago, a mother of a student (and former student) was addressing the board on her concerns regarding school safety. She was standing at the head of our table and I was seated just to her right, my best friend and fellow board member was seated across the table from me. During this mothers ranting, I just got a gut feeling she was going to do something stupid. She did. She reached into her purse and pulled out a revolver and pointed it directly at my face and then panned to her left, pointed it at my friend.As ironic as may seem, I had already poised myself for defense before she ever acted. I lunged toward her, grabbing her hands and the gun. I remember looking back at the other board members and the rest of the crown and noticing nobody had moved. Everyone was frozen and I'm sure you couldn't drive a nail where the sun dosen't shine. At this moment, the mother is now shouting 'It's empty, it's empty' and the revolver swung open and it was empty. When it was pointed at me, I wasn't looking to see if it was empty. All I saw was agun in my face. The situation was under control in a matter of minutes and she was detained by a few of us untillaw enforcement arrived. Needless to say, a couple of other parents in attendance claimed I overreacted due to the gun being empty. I stress,as a funeral director, I've buried a lot of people killed by 'empty' guns, I wasn't going to be next. The mother tried to have me arrested for assault, but failed. I learned a valuable lesson that evening. Be Prepared. Unfortunately, we do live in a society where we never know what the next minute holds. Be prepared, be smart, be educated, be armed, but mostly, be prepared. That's why I carry.

Yes, the mother was prosecuted, but due to the gun being 'empty' and just trying to make a point, recieved a light sentence of no jail time, banned from school property, no contact with the school board. ( I often ask "how strong is that KRS posted on the front door of our school stating 10 years imprisonment and a$10,000.00 fine".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Undertaker wrote:
As we all know, firearms are prohibited on school property (KY). I've often wondered if I would have handled the situation below any different now 4 years later and many firearm classes and ccdw permit now. I suppose not due to the regulation. The situation goes through my mind often though. COMMENTS AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME.

Why I Carry...I've served on the local school board14 years,a few years ago, a mother of a student (and former student) was addressing the board on her concerns regarding school safety. She was standing at the head of our table and I was seated just to her right, my best friend and fellow board member was seated across the table from me. During this mothers ranting, I just got a gut feeling she was going to do something stupid. She did. She reached into her purse and pulled out a revolver and pointed it directly at my face and then panned to her left, pointed it at my friend.As ironic as may seem, I had already poised myself for defense before she ever acted. I lunged toward her, grabbing her hands and the gun. I remember looking back at the other board members and the rest of the crown and noticing nobody had moved. Everyone was frozen and I'm sure you couldn't drive a nail where the sun dosen't shine. At this moment, the mother is now shouting 'It's empty, it's empty' and the revolver swung open and it was empty. When it was pointed at me, I wasn't looking to see if it was empty. All I saw was agun in my face. The situation was under control in a matter of minutes and she was detained by a few of us untillaw enforcement arrived. Needless to say, a couple of other parents in attendance claimed I overreacted due to the gun being empty. I stress,as a funeral director, I've buried a lot of people killed by 'empty' guns, I wasn't going to be next. The mother tried to have me arrested for assault, but failed. I learned a valuable lesson that evening. Be Prepared. Unfortunately, we do live in a society where we never know what the next minute holds. Be prepared, be smart, be educated, be armed, but mostly, be prepared. That's why I carry.

Yes, the mother was prosecuted, but due to the gun being 'empty' and just trying to make a point, recieved a light sentence of no jail time, banned from school property, no contact with the school board. ( I often ask "how strong is that KRS posted on the front door of our school stating 10 years imprisonment and a$10,000.00 fine".

That was terrific work, acting unhesitatingly to grab a pointed handgun.What did you observe about the woman that tipped you off that she would act in a manner as she did?

Also, how many people have you buried who died by 'empty guns?' How many is "a lot?"

BTW, yours is another case of a weapons-based school attack---that did not require any guns to stop. Similar, in that regard, to the recent California case:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/30529.html

Undertaker

imported post

I am just very observant of people and the lady just wasn't acting comfortable. I 've been in this line of work for 30 years and have handled 12 cases that the gun was 'empty'.