• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carried without LA permit yet, can i get into trouble

sassy1

imported post

38 yrs. not loaded. downtown baton rouge, louisiana. thank you soooo much for replying!!!!

sassy1

imported post

so basically, if not loaded...then the person who said they were going to report my open carry to authorities...will not get anywhere because i did not break louisiana open carry law?

wrightme

imported post

sassy1 wrote:
so basically, if not loaded...then the person who said they were going to report my open carry to authorities...will not get anywhere because i did not break louisiana open carry law?
First off, you are best questioning those in Louisiana. Try posting in the Louisiana forum.

Then click the map to the upper left, where you find that

"Louisiana is a traditional open carry state. They have complete state preemption of firearms laws with the exception that laws in place prior to the passage of preemption are allowed to remain in place."

Further, it depends upon if there are municipal ordinances that may apply.

Further, start ONE thread.......

There appears to be a link to a good reference in the LA forum

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/15979.html

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

sassy1 wrote:
I would think that someone calling in to the police saying "I saw a guy yesterday with a gun on his hip..." weather or not they knew who the guy was, would probably not bring much reaction from the police... As for the legality, as others have stated, you might be best in the Louisiana forum, and please, only post one thread for a topic... You appear to have started 3 or 4!

Bull Frog

imported post

sassy1 wrote:

Bottom line, open carry is our right, but ...

Try it in Tombstone, and the Law may come after you ...

We all have the right, but locals can be really annoying.

Theoretically, local laws cannot obviate the US constipation, so look out - we may run short of toilet paper!

And run out of our rights.

Can anyone tell me what "obviate"means? Digging for my dictionary! Maybe I should have been a lawyer - they invent new words on a regular basis, right?

Constipate, obviate - I was trying to be a poet. If it rhymes, it's OK, right?

wrightme

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
brianstone1985 wrote:
OMG go to the LA page on this site and search around. And stop double or triple or Quadruple posting the same damn question.

Sadly, there is no LA page here, just CA - go there, and bring your guns.
LouisianA. L.A. is not the center of the universe.

Bull Frog

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
LouisianA.  L.A. is not the center of the universe.

It seems to be for Californians. Imagine the outrage of a state like Louisiana using LA as an official abbreviation without getting permission from California first.:lol:

Yeah, imagine that. Imagine folks from Louisiana thinking they can spell? Better than California kids?

I can imagine that, sadly.

Bull Frog

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
How did you carry and where? And are you old enough (over 18 yrs)?

ooops......

Mistook LA as in Los Angelos, my bad. I know even less about your states laws.

Yeah, me too. LA! Imagine, I thought it meant Los Angeles - no wonder everybody forgot about Louisiana after Katrina stuck, making the entire federal emergency recovery effort ... non existent. Uninformed, even.