• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are Washington's "Open Carry" laws for rifles?

killchain

imported post

Just curious, but say for some reason or another I decide to carry a rifle openly. For example, going hunting and I stop in to a place to buy something, and just happen to bring my hunting rifle on my back.

I know Washington allows open carry of pistols, but I haven't been able to find anything specific about rifles.

Is there any specific laws I should know about, or is it lumped under the laws for open carrying a pistol?

Thanks.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

There are no laws about open carry. It's legal because it's not illegal. You can't carry into certain places and loaded carry in a car is a no-no. But OC is legal with pistols and rifles.

However, depending on the circumstances, count on talking to the police.

killchain

imported post

Okay, thanks for the info. :)

I have a CPL in Washington so that's not a problem, and I'm familiar to the laws. Was just making sure it was the same for a rifle.

swatspyder

imported post

killchain wrote:
Okay, thanks for the info. :)

I have a CPL in Washington so that's not a problem, and I'm familiar to the laws. Was just making sure it was the same for a rifle.
It is not exactly the same. Loaded carry of a pistol in a vehicle is okay so long as you have your CPL. Loaded carry of a rifle is NOT okay with or without a CPL.

kwiebe

imported post

swatspyder wrote
It is not exactly the same. Loaded carry of a pistol in a vehicle is okay so long as you have your CPL. Loaded carry of a rifle is NOT okay with or without a CPL.
Can you cite a statute to support the loaded rifle claim?

Bader

imported post

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway

have they sen the roads nowadays? dont think any are maintained

kwiebe

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway

have they sen the roads nowadays? dont think any are maintained
True. In effect this makes the entire City of Tacoma legal to discharge a firearm. ;)

Dr. Fresh

imported post

You must unload the rifle or shotgun. before entering a vehicle. For this reason I rarely carry one. The only people I've seen carrying long guns were way out in the woods.

I would strongly advise against carrying one into a store or near any heavily populated area.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was once advised by a Game Officer that even setting a loaded rifle in the bed of my Pickup would qualify as placing it in the vehicle.

Some have even been warned that leading your rifle against the vehicle qualifies, but I don't see how they could make that one stick.

tai4de2

imported post

I have a question about terminology.

Consider a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun. Several shells can be inserted into the firearm, and are loaded as the pump action is worked (a used shell is expelled and a fresh one racked into the firing position).

Is that considered "loaded" for the purposes of the statute -- i.e., is the storage area a "chamber" or "magazine"?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
I have a question about terminology.

Consider a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun. Several shells can be inserted into the firearm, and are loaded as the pump action is worked (a used shell is expelled and a fresh one racked into the firing position).

Is that considered "loaded" for the purposes of the statute -- i.e., is the storage area a "chamber" or "magazine"?
It's a 'fixed' magazine, so yes, it is considered loaded.

kyle.huff

[no reference to THAT Kyle Huff...], Washington, U
imported post

I have a question regarding this topic - Why is it that the topic of "Firearms and dangerous weapons" is covered in Title 9 (chapter 9.41), and yet rifles/shotguns (also "firearms") in a vehicle are not mentioned here, but instead in Title 77 - "Fish and wildlife"? (chapter 77.15.460)

Is there some logic behind this? I don't fish or hunt, and I would not normally assume that a section of code specifically titled "Fish and wildlife" would contain applicable code that applies to me (not being a hunter, fisherman or poacher etc.), that I would not find in the subject-relevant Title 9 chapter 9.41. I guess the division of information is what stumps me, and also I don't understand what my shotgun has to do with "Fish and wildlife", being that I don't own a shotgun for hunting or fishing...

I also think it odd the distinctions within the content of the codes, but not the titles -

For example, 9.41.050 is titled "Carrying firearms", yet it only refers to pistols, likewise, 77.15 is titled "Fish and wildlife enforcement code", and 77.15.460 is titled "Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.", yet speaks specifically about rifles and shotguns only - not pistols - and it inherits a prefix of "Fish and wildlife enforcement code".

So I guess I don't understand why are these broken out into 2 very separate sections, one with a very relevant title, the other with (what I think is) an irrelevant title ("Fish and wildlife enforcement code" vs. "Firearms and dangerous weapons"). I find this confusing and counter-intuitive. (I know, like most gun related legislation!)

This makes sense:
"RCWs" -> "Crimes and punishments" -> "Firearms and dangerous weapons." -> "Carrying firearms."

This makes zero sense:
"RCWs" -> "Fish and wildlife (formerly: game and game fish)" -> "Fish and wildlife enforcement code." -> "Loaded firearm in vehicle -- Unlawful use or possession -- Penalty."

That is, it makes no sense that the information contained in title 77.15.460 is not present in title 9.41.050

Does anyone have some insight into this?

Link to RCW: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77

dan10mmman

imported post

killchain wrote:
Just curious, but say for some reason or another I decide to carry a rifle openly. For example, going hunting and I stop in to a place to buy something, and just happen to bring my hunting rifle on my back.

I know Washington allows open carry of pistols, but I haven't been able to find anything specific about rifles.

Is there any specific laws I should know about, or is it lumped under the laws for open carrying a pistol?

Thanks.

Killchain, please read up on Washington state Vs. Spencer. Spencer was walking down the street walking his dog and carrying a rifle in a sling over his shoulder. A CPL holder, Spencer was bothering no one just walking. A lady passer-by notices his rifle and goes to ask some firemen she see's a couple of houses away. She asks...they dont know why he is carrying a rifle. They call the police. Long story short Mr. Spencer goes to jail, guns go into police storage and rust.

Might be best to keep your long gun cased. Walking into a business or store with an uncased gun is bound to cause alarm. Unless of course if they know you.

Anyhow that is the only info I could find, hope it helps

1245A Defender

imported post

read spencer closer! he violated rcw 9.41.270, because he was carrying his rifle "in an assultive manner". he looked like a dangerous guy with his gun!

state v cassad showes that it is legal to carry long guns in the open and not violate the law!

dan10mmman

imported post

I did not know that slung over your shoulder in a sling was assaultive.

If you read the state vs. Cassad, The guns were partially covered, in particular the actions were covered by the cloth he wrapped them in. Therfore non-assaultive. not provoking fear even though a lady called the police to report A man with a gun.......

edit. Thanks Lt for the shortcuts, thats part of the story I was trying not to be to long winded, gave just enough to hope he would read it for himself

Tawnos

imported post

dan10mmman wrote:
killchain wrote:

Thanks.

Killchain, please read up on Washington state Vs. Spencer. Spencer was walking down the street walking his dog and carrying a rifle in a sling over his shoulder. A CPL holder, Spencer was bothering no one just walking. A lady passer-by notices his rifle and goes to ask some firemen she see's a couple of houses away. She asks...they dont know why he is carrying a rifle. They call the police. Long story short Mr. Spencer goes to jail, guns go into police storage and rust.

Might be best to keep your long gun cased. Walking into a business or store with an uncased gun is bound to cause alarm. Unless of course if they know you.

Anyhow that is the only info I could find, hope it helps
Spencer was carrying the gun leveled and simultaneously was carrying a pistol. Hence, he could not claim it was for self defense. If he carried only the rifle, and carrying it such that it was not muzzle at whoever was in front of him, he might have had a better case.

Metalhead47

imported post

Since we're on the subject, has anyone ON THIS FORUM or with direct knowlegede of another (IE, you know the fellow, not a friend of a friend, etc), ever actually OC'd with a rifle? Is there any first-hand experience of the topic in our large knowledge base here?

Weather's starting to get crummy now, but once or twice I've thought about strapping my M91 on, hopping on my motorcycle & heading down to the Central Whidbey range, but I don't want to be the test case here :cool: