• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry: Dog Walk - Topeka, KS

IanB

imported post

DING DING DING We have a Winnahh!! Only comment I have: You made the mistake of calling this a "concealed carry dog walk" twice at the end (but that's not a big deal). Normally dressed, normal acting, no problems. As it should be. Now go get MORE folks to join you, and start doing it during your daily routine, not just when walking the dog, and beware of those no guns signs that have become the fad in Topeka. I know I said I was done in this thread before, now I'm really DONE. Tah-tah.

marine0300

imported post

We have another Open Carry Dog Walk video by Topeka’s own Michael Breneman

Not only does Michael OC he uses his video to instruct, inform, and help people understand what Open Carry is all about and why we should do.

I did not know he was doing this and I really applaud his efforts. Michael bleeds the 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment!!!

Please watch the video and make comments and suggestions and let’s have someone else step up to the plate and make an open carry video anywhere in Kansas.

ps: at the end of his video he accidently calls his Open Carry a Concealed Carry Dog Walk. He realizes the error.

Michael Breneman

imported post

Yep, my bad. Being a CCW permit holder and an advocate of both CCW and open carry, I guess I got my wires crossed. But I intend to continue to O/C whenever I can work it into my routine.

Earl and I are looking to build a 2nd amendment protectorate here in Topeka. We need people who will help us attend our city and state's public meetings to keep an eye on what our friendly elected officials are doing. If anyone is willing to spend some time on this work with us, please contact either Earl or myself.

KSDeputy

imported post

I just recently was made aware of the change prompted by the court's decision. If it is now the law I have no objection to it. It is important, when carrying openly, to act as if it is a perfectly normal thing to do. I was previously against open carry, favoring concealed carry. I spent my entire career enforcing the law, I am open to the change which will give the new law a chance. If enough people carry a firearm openly, and people get used to it, it may not frighten them anymore. I think the response with the shotgun was too much, and possibly that officer was a rookie. It will make officers jobs more difficult until they have enough man with a "holstered" gun calls, then they too will come to accept it as more normal. After all we have been trained to consider anyone with a gun as a threat to us. In fact when we are talking with the person we have been trained to take the gun, and perhaps unload it, until our investigation is over. So you must expect that for a while. I am very pro second amendment, many peace officers are. We still rely on our training as automatic, we simply do and act as we were trained to do until we have enough time to respond to a change in the law, and are trained as such. By law we have to have at least 40 hours of in-service training a year, partly to learn new legislation and how to respond to it. Criminals may start carrying openly, and that is going to cause a real problem. We know most of the criminals by sight, and if they had a felony, or on parole or probation, most cannot own or carry any type of firearm. So the reaction of considering a man with a gun a threat will kick back in. It will make our jobs more difficult, no way around it. It is the law and we will adapt. Just be patient and give us time. Try and put yourself in the place of a peace officer, coming upon a person carrying a gun in a holster or stuck in their waistband, what would you do? How would you react?

Lobo0311

imported post

captainamerica wrote:
What KS townis this? And how is something that is legal being interpreted to be an arrestable offense? Thanks.

Rough Rider wrote:
My hat isoff to you. My wife and I have wanted to open carry but have been apprehensive to do so since there have been a few arrests of people doing so in our town. Even though its legal.
Unfortunately in Kansas there are no preemptions pertaining to OC, and the majority of LEO's 'specially those in smaller towns are not always aware that it IS generally legal to open carry in this state. Since there are no preemptions in KS it's wise to check local ordinances before doing so, however after talkin with four different firearms instructors a week or so back they were able to tell me that you can open carry while hunting which I thought was good to know. I remember having a conversation with a U.S Marshal at a truck stop last fall who was unaware that OC was generally legal in our state, I found that pretty interesting.

K

KansasScout

imported post

Good for you Earl. I saw nothing wrong with how you did it. I clearly understood what you were trying to do and why. A right not exercised is a right denied.

:celebrate

marine0300

imported post

Hey KansasScout,

Thank you for the kind words. I fully accept praise and criticism.

Appreciate your blogs and have enjoyed reading your perspective.

Merry Christmas,

Earl

KSDeputy

imported post

:)As for open carrying while hunting. The statute 21-4201 states that a licensed hunter or fisherman can carry a pistol or revolver while actually hunting or fishing. The present legislature passed SB 497, which affects knives. It is an amendment to 21-4201. I believe it permits assisted opening knives, but it is written in legalese and my own Representative doesn't seem to completely understand it, telling me I believe you are legal in carrying one. All of these bills can be read by accessing http://www.kansas.gov. You must have acrobat reader to read them. Click on complete text of bill 21-4201. Hope that helps.