Thread: Frangible Ammunition Prohibited in KY?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sorry, It was "flanged ammunition" as defined in 236.060

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/060.PDF

I was reviewing the KY firearms laws and ran across some prohibition against "frangible" ammunition. It sounded like they were describing hollow point rounds. Can any of the KY citizens here clarify this for me? Many thanks.

Post imported post

The KRS you quoted is simply the definition of the terms. Here is the KRS in which may be applicable to your question:
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/527-00/080.pdf

From what I understand (my limited understanding) is that it is a crime to commit an offense with hollow points. Self-defense is obviously not a crime, thus using hollow points in a defensive position wouldn't be a crime.

Any other takes on this?

Post imported post

(8) "Flanged ammunition" means ammunition with a soft lead core and having sharp flanges which are designed to expand on impact.

Wow, now that is about the dumbest thing I've ever read in a statute!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
    The KRS you quoted is simply the definition of the terms. Here is the KRS in which may be applicable to your question:
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/527-00/080.pdf

From what I understand (my limited understanding) is that it is a crime to commit an offense with hollow points. Self-defense is obviously not a crime, thus using hollow points in a defensive position wouldn't be a crime.

Any other takes on this?
    Thank you for citing KRS 527.080, langzaiguy. I looked all through KRS 237, but didn't see the statute for which the 237.060definition was intended.

Yes, that definition reminded me of Black Talon, but I thought it probably meant hollowpoints in general. I was curious about it because I carry jacketed hollowpoints in my 9mm and didn't want to find myself on the wrong side of the law in KY.

Post imported post

If you think about it, IF JHP's are illegal to USE, then how can something be illegal to use butbe sold everywhere in this state?

Seems like it would be difficult for a prosecutor to bring up the statute...are all citizens to believe that JHP's are for the range:shock:

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

8th ID wrote:
    ...how can something be illegal to use butbe sold everywhere in this state?
    That's why I asked. I live 2 states south of you guys and don't know much about KY. Some details about ammunitionare handled a little differently in some states. For instance, you just pay a normal sales tax on ammunition at the cash register in AL. However, in TN, they have special tax stamps for ammunition, just like for cigarettes. Thanks to all who have contributed!

Post imported post

I remember when this came up in the Black Talon craze. Legislation was introduced to ban the ammo, the legislature simply made it an enhanced penalty if you used it in the commision of a felony.

I also was involved in a case where the firearms examiner would not testify about flanged ammo as it related to Black Talon's. His position was that in his line of work "flanged ammo" meant one thing, such as .303British or 375 H&H flanged,and in the context of the KRS it meant something else. Basically he was saying what was described in the KRS was an invention of the legislature and not something that he was prepared to testify about.

The Commonwealth Attorney was not a happy camper, but that was how it ended up. This was a clear cut murder case where the shooter used Black Talons to kill a person in front of about half dozen witnesses.