Thread: Not sure if this has been pondered before.....

Post imported post

Maybe its a stupid question but now that the federal government owns the majority of GM.....has anything changed in regards to carrying a gun, open or concealed, on the lot of a Chevrolet dealership? I was just thinking about it on the way home today....I know that the lots are still privately owned but I thought it was something worth looking into...

Post imported post

General Motors dealerships are private businesses that have franchise agreements with GM, the company. To my knowledge, there are no corporate-owned dealerships, so my opinion is that carry on their property would not be affected.

Post imported post

A corporation is a legal entity, separate from its shareholders. Regardless of who the majority shareholder may be, a GM corporate dealership is owned by the General Motors Corporation, unless it's a franchised dealership, in which case would be owned by it's franchisee.

Post imported post

Well how about this.....can you TEST DRIVE a new Chevrolet while carrying?

Post imported post

I test drove my Ford Truck while carrying. If Chevy won't let you, tell 'em Ford will.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Of course, those lots are federal property!!!

Just like all those banks that claimed that they were federal property since they were FDIC insured.

(sarcasm off)

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Maybe its a stupid question but now that the federal government owns the majority of GM.....has anything changed in regards to carrying a gun, open or concealed, on the lot of a Chevrolet dealership?* I was just thinking about it on the way home today....I know that the lots are still privately owned but I thought it was something worth looking into...
    Not a dumb question, but the answer is definitely "negative". The U.S. is merely a stockholder in a corporation. A corporate entity is a different legal "person" from its shareholders. It's the corporation that owns the property (even assuming the dealership were owned by GM/Chrysler), not its shareholders.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.