• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure if this has been pondered before.....

richarcm

imported post

Maybe its a stupid question but now that the federal government owns the majority of GM.....has anything changed in regards to carrying a gun, open or concealed, on the lot of a Chevrolet dealership? I was just thinking about it on the way home today....I know that the lots are still privately owned but I thought it was something worth looking into...

gis

imported post

General Motors dealerships are private businesses that have franchise agreements with GM, the company. To my knowledge, there are no corporate-owned dealerships, so my opinion is that carry on their property would not be affected.

NoVA York

imported post

A corporation is a legal entity, separate from its shareholders. Regardless of who the majority shareholder may be, a GM corporate dealership is owned by the General Motors Corporation, unless it's a franchised dealership, in which case would be owned by it's franchisee.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Of course, those lots are federal property!!!

Just like all those banks that claimed that they were federal property since they were FDIC insured.

(sarcasm off)

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Maybe its a stupid question but now that the federal government owns the majority of GM.....has anything changed in regards to carrying a gun, open or concealed, on the lot of a Chevrolet dealership?  I was just thinking about it on the way home today....I know that the lots are still privately owned but I thought it was something worth looking into...

Not a dumb question, but the answer is definitely "negative". The U.S. is merely a stockholder in a corporation. A corporate entity is a different legal "person" from its shareholders. It's the corporation that owns the property (even assuming the dealership were owned by GM/Chrysler), not its shareholders.