• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN OC "Incident" Statistics

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Does the state of TN post annual statistics regarding any "incidents" (i.e. 911 calls) that have occurred as a result of lawful OC? Thanks!

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I think I read recently that 1200 permits had been suspended over the last 4 years. However, just because a permit has been taken away does not mean it was not reissued. Mine was taken away in 2008 and I got it back about 6 weeks later. Anytime some takes out an ex-parte order of protection you lose the permit even though you had no day in court just an accusation.

I think this was the article I saw.

Fallguy

imported post

I think what he is looking for is any stats where someone has called the police or other police action just because someone was OCing and turned out they had a HCP.

I doubt there are any statistics on this, especially state wide. Most smaller departments wouldn't even write up anything on it if there was no law broken. But even if there was a report I don't know any central state location that non-crime incidents are reported to.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

If he is just looking for incidents then I'd bet it was extremely high.Too many people who don't know the law and freak out when they see a gun.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC-ed last month in a couple of restaurants while on a trip around Cleveland, TN. I got a few looks, but no one was spooked. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

I was curious about statistics because it appears that one of the objections to OCmade by some LEOs here in AL is that it will scare too many people. I think TN would be a great example to show themthat is just not the case.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Are you wanting to know how many calls 9-11 gets for MWG, or how many times they dispatch officers on those calls? I think most dispatchers 9-11 ops are trained better to ask pertinent question as to what the MWG is doing before they dispatch.

Fallguy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Are you wanting to know how many calls 9-11 gets for MWG, or how many times they dispatch officers on those calls? I think most dispatchers 9-11 ops are trained better to ask pertinent question as to what the MWG is doing before they dispatch.

First it is 9-1-1...9-11 is today's date and there is no 11 on the phone. :) Sorry old 9-1-1 dispatcher coming out in me.

Not sure about the larger cities, but I think most smaller ones dispatch LEOs to just about any and every call, but especially any involving a firearm.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Part of my question is three posts up. The other part is how well has the state of TN publicized that their HCP is valid for concealed or open carry? An ad campaign would go a long way towards calming the general public.

As for larger cities, can anyone from the Nashville area provide some feedback on their OC experiences there?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I'm in the Nashville area. I haven't had too many problems. None with cops. I currently carry a voice recorder just in case.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neo wrote:
Part of my question is three posts up. The other part is how well has the state of TN publicized that their HCP is valid for concealed or open carry? An ad campaign would go a long way towards calming the general public.

As for larger cities, can anyone from the Nashville area provide some feedback on their OC experiences there?

Can't say that I've ever seen an ad concerning legal carry in Tn. I was debating with some anti-gunners on the Tennessean.com site and started posting about OC being legal here and in most states. That's when I got banned from posting.

As you can probably see, the MSM have been doing all they can to deamonize OC, and gun carriers in general.