• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in vehicle?

VaLiberty

imported post

I feel as though this has probably been answered before, but I'm at a loss trying to find it. Given that "If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation," is rather vague, is there anything that can be sited regarding OC'ing while operating a motor vehicle?

My apologies in advance, as I'm certain this has been answered before.

AbNo

imported post

FWIW, I put a I put a nylon strap tightly around my passenger's seat, so that I may put my holster on it while I am driving my old Cherokee around. It's definitely in plain sight, and it's well secured, so I'm doubly good to go.

If you want, I can probably get some pics up later in the week, when I get it back from the shop...

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I put mine in the cupholder or secure it in the passenger seat. I wear my 1911 at 4-5 O'clock and when I sit down in my car and put my seatbelt on, it basically disappears.

Ed, don't you have a CHP anyways?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ed wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I put mine in the cupholder or secure it in the passenger seat. I wear my 1911 at 4-5 O'clock and when I sit down in my car and put my seatbelt on, it basically disappears.

I do
Even if you tell the officer "I am open carrying" it doesn't matter because he has already looked in his computer that you have a CHP. He could care less where you have it on your persons. Others like myself don't have that courtesy. If the officer wants to charge me with concealed, I don't have anything to fall on.:shock:

virginiatuck

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ed wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I do
Even if you tell the officer "I am open carrying" it doesn't matter because he has already looked in his computer that you have a CHP. He could care less where you have it on your persons. Others like myself don't have that courtesy. If the officer wants to charge me with concealed, I don't have anything to fall on.:shock:
A CHP holder may not be driving a vehicle registered in their name.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ed wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I do
My vehicle is actually registered in another person's name, one who has a CHP. I've always wondered how this would work out...
When I OC I just leave it on my belt, around 3:00. My center console blocks the view from the right side, and my seatbelt covers part of the holster. Really it's slightly visible but I've just never really worried about it. I'll have my CHP in about 8 months anyways. And I also drive in a manner conducive of not getting pulled over :lol: usually :D.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ed wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I do
A CHP holder may not be driving a vehicle registered in their name.
True. I am sure that in Ed's case his vehicles are registered in his name. When the officer pulls up the plates in the computer it shows Ed's info. Once the officer walks up to the vehicle and gets Ed's license, then he knows it is in fact Ed driving who has a CHP. Every circumstance is different. Say if a CHP holder was driving a vehicle in a non-holder's name and OCing. That would be interesting to see what would happen. If the officer tries to call it concealed, then the CHP holder can just whip out his card which I can't.:?

VaLiberty

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
True. I am sure that in Ed's case his vehicles are registered in his name. When the officer pulls up the plates in the computer it shows Ed's info. Once the officer walks up to the vehicle and gets Ed's license, then he knows it is in fact Ed driving who has a CHP. Every circumstance is different. Say if a CHP holder was driving a vehicle in a non-holder's name and OCing. That would be interesting to see what would happen. If the officer tries to call it concealed, then the CHP holder can just whip out his card which I can't.:?
Precisely the reason that I raise this question.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IMO, this is another issue where a lot of speculation goes into something that shouldn't happen. Don't get me wrong...I like the discussion (Most of the time) because it keeps everyone informed on what the details of the law are.

But I also like to look out of the window once in a while and see what color the sky really is.

So lets assume we're talking about some horrid person who actually has an illegally concealed weapon in his car. He sees blue lights coming up behind him and puts his gun on the seat, in plain view.

When Hank made a speech on the deserted island, did he make a sound?:uhoh:

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ed wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I do
What if you have a VA non resident CHP? Since my Jeep is registered in MD, the VA LEO won't know since MD has no idea of what out of state CHP's I may have.

crazydude6030

imported post

VaLiberty wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I came to the conclusion that unless I have a permit that I will just pack the gun up in the trunk and leave the ammo in the console. I think its best not to take chances. Thats me though and I am sure there are people who will disagree with me.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
VaLiberty wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I came to the conclusion that unless I have a permit that I will just pack the gun up in the trunk and leave the ammo in the console. I think its best not to take chances. Thats me though and I am sure there are people who will disagree with me.
You aren't even carrying at that point:uhoh:

crazydude6030

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
You aren't even carrying at that point:uhoh:
That's the idea. Until I get a permit than carrying in my car is off limits. It hides the gun 100% once the seat belt is on.

crazydude6030

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
That's the idea. Until I get a permit than carrying in my car is off limits. It hides the gun 100% once the seat belt is on.
Sounds like all you need is a different holster. I OC in my truck all day long and never worry.
You might be right about that. I spend most of my extra money on ammo and range time so getting a permit and better carry gear hasn't really been on the top of the list. I figure in a few months I might make my way to the court house to knock the permit out. After that then I'll try to pick up a holster or two.

usaf0906

imported post

I subscribe to the logic that a car door or center console makes a pistol concealed just as much as sitting in a booth with your strong site towards the wall.

If you open carry with a shoulder rig, and have really big arms, are you now concealed?