• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why OC?

virginiatuck

imported post

• It's too hot to wear all that clothing. Why on earth are some of the hottest states CC-only (FL, TX):question:
  • My fanny pack makes me look silly.
  • My shirt's not big enough to conceal my S&W 500; it prints too well.
  • I look like a slob with my shirt untucked.
  • It takes too long to draw when there's a shirt or jacket in the way.
  • Re-holstering with a shirt in the way is dangerous; it could get caught on the trigger.
  • It's a silent statement, or reminder, that I take responsibility for myself and will defend myself if attacked.
  • If a potential attacker understands the potential repercussions beforehand, an attack may not take place.
  • It introduces people to the idea of carrying a firearm themselves, concealed or openly.
  • It's the law[sub]1[/sub] (see VA code section 18.2-308(J3)).
  • It's the law[sub]2[/sub] (see VA code section 18.2-308(J1)).
  • I want to lawfully carry a firearm, but don't want to give up my right to privacy in order to acquire a concealed carry permit.
  • Because you never know...
Why CC?
  • It's nobody's business whether or not I'm carrying a firearm.
  • I'm obeying the law, but am somewhere or with someone that OC will cause unnecessary hassle that I don't want to deal with right now.
  • It's the law[sub]3[/sub] (see FL, TX, SC and perhaps other places).
  • It's raining.
I may or may not agree with all of these reasons, but they are all valid reasons for OC or CC.

usaf0906

imported post

While I do like your list, I think it is a bit silly of people to ask "why do you carry?". If something is legal,I dont see the need for a reason beyond that. I dont ask people why they vote, or why they exercise free speech. I know this logic doesnt work on the anti-people.

I postulate that there are two motives behind asking this question:

1. The person is curious/doesnt know its legal/finds it odd, but just shrugs it off.

2. The person is an anti and is looking to try and debate your reason for carrying.

Everyone has there own way of dealing with these people; humor, facts, blunt truth, etc. As for me, I'll do anything I can to piss off liberal anti-gunners:cool:

Harper1227

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
  • It's too hot to wear all that clothing. Why on earth are some of the hottest states CC-only (FL, TX):question:
  • My fanny pack makes me look silly.
  • My shirt's not big enough to conceal my S&W 500; it prints too well.
  • I look like a slob with my shirt untucked.
  • It takes too long to draw when there's a shirt or jacket in the way.
  • Re-holstering with a shirt in the way is dangerous; it could get caught on the trigger.
  • It's a silent statement, or reminder, that I take responsibility for myself and will defend myself if attacked.
  • If a potential attacker understands the potential repercussions beforehand, an attack may not take place.
  • It introduces people to the idea of carrying a firearm themselves, concealed or openly.
  • It's the law[suB]1[/suB] (see VA code section 18.2-308(J3)).
  • It's the law[suB]2[/suB] (see VA code section 18.2-308(J1)).
  • I want to lawfully carry a firearm, but don't want to give up my right to privacy in order to acquire a concealed carry permit.
  • Because you never know...
Why CC?
  • It's nobody's business whether or not I'm carrying a firearm.
  • I'm obeying the law, but am somewhere or with someone that OC will cause unnecessary hassle that I don't want to deal with right now.
  • It's the law[suB]3[/suB] (see FL, TX, SC and perhaps other places).
  • It's raining.
I may or may not agree with all of these reasons, but they are all valid reasons for OC or CC.
  • I have huge hips and boobs and would require a shirt 3X too big to avoid printing.
what? you guys dont have the same problem :lol:

virginiatuck

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
gunzen123 wrote:
It makes non shooters nervous.
Why?
It's also not nice to call us "shooters." Maybe that confusion is the source of the nervousness.

A person minding his own business who is also carrying a firearm is not a "shooter." I understand that you may be saying "shooter" in the sense that we occasionally (or frequently) shoot at a range for practice or shoot while hunting, but bad guys are often called shooters; it's not fair to associate us with the likes of them by calling us "shooters."

Yes, I know you are just a passerby who registered to make a statement and may not ever read this thread again. The "you" I'm talking to is anyone else out there who may be thinking along your lines.

virginiatuck

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
  • I have huge hips and boobs and would require a shirt 3X too big to avoid printing.
what? you guys dont have the same problem :lol:
That's kind-of what I was getting at with "[m]y shirt's not big enough to conceal my S&W 500; it prints too well."

Furthermore, the side of my belly actually provides level-1 retention when I OC. :D

protector84

imported post

Another stupid term the media uses is "gunman." It sounds as if the person was born with a firearm attached to one of his arms and it stereotypes the entire person as if the fact that he has/had a gun defined his entire existence. Usually the media uses the term when describing a criminal with a gun but they also use it for any newsworthy item involving people with firearms.

An example of poor journalism is how a news station titled an article on one of our OC dinners. The title was "Dozens Bring Guns to Scottsdale Restaurant." That makes it sound as if a mob poured in with shotguns and rifles in their hands vs. ordinary people with holstered handguns. So I agree that the term "shooter" is also biased.