• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SALT LAKE CITY - WHERE TO SHOOT?

nysarsenal

imported post

Hey Gang, I'm coming out to SLC i na few weeks and am looking for a place to go to shoot rifle (.223/.308 etc.)
Any good outdoor ranges in the desert or elsewhere that anyone can recommend?

Preferably a 'free range' within an hour of SLC or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nysarsenal

imported post

Thanks for the infos, looks like a cool place $4.00 aint much at all.

Ultimately we are looking for a spot in the desert. I don;t know exactly what the deal is with Utah, but I know Tucson, AZ and Phoenix, Az and parts of Colorado have some spots out in the desert where people can shoot and not be bothered.

ALSO is there anything to know in regards to OCing in SLC?
Any areas off limits?

rpyne

imported post

nysarsenal wrote:
Ultimately we are looking for a spot in the desert. I don;t know exactly what the deal is with Utah, but I know Tucson, AZ and Phoenix, Az and parts of Colorado have some spots out in the desert where people can shoot and not be bothered.

ALSO is there anything to know in regards to OCing in SLC?
Any areas off limits?
Just about anywhere in the desert is legal as long as it is not a state park or inside a city limits. Counties are not authorized by state law to restrict shooting.

There are very few places in Utah that are off limits. Utah has statewide preemption that prohibits ANY government entity from restricting carry unless specifically authorized by the legislature. Basically, the only restrictions are jails, mental health facilities, courts and the secure area of an airport.

Private property owners can ask you to leave.

The bulk of Utah gun law is contained in Utah Code sections 76-10-500 through 76-10-530 which can be found at http://le.utah.gov/UtahCode/title.jsp

Note that carrying on a public street without a concealed permit requires that the firearm be "unloaded". The Utah definition of loaded is:

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Don't forget about post offices. :) Everyone always forgets about the post office. I mean, you probably won't be mailing anything while you are here, but I thought you should at least know to avoid carrying in there open or concealed. The feds are so freaking anal and stupid. Don't they know that it's only the employees working inside that "go postal"? ;) hehehehe

Kevin

rpyne

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Don't forget about post offices. :) Everyone always forgets about the post office. I mean, you probably won't be mailing anything while you are here, but I thought you should at least know to avoid carrying in there open or concealed. The feds are so freaking anal and stupid. Don't they know that it's only the employees working inside that "go postal"? ;) hehehehe

Kevin
I just keep thinking in terms of a sovereign state. :quirky

I keep meaning to talk to the Postmaster here because they changed the signs on the Post Office door from warning about no firearms to warning about enhanced penalties for armed robbery of a postal employee.