• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help locating county/city laws (ordinances?)

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I've been looking up and down every place I can find for the Midland County gun laws (ordinances)

For example, CPL holders can't carry their guns into ANY county buildings. I would also like to know what other restrictions the county has, such as parks and if they hold any water against the premption law?

Thanks in advance for any help!

autosurgeon

imported post

They cannot restrict county buildings other than Courts and jails....and in the case of jails they can only restrict the secure area.

Parks they cannot restrict.

As for where the ordinances are... you can request a copy at there offices... They can charge you for printing so find out if they have a digital copy on their website or if they will burn a cd!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
I've been looking up and down every place I can find for the Midland County gun laws (ordinances)

For example, CPL holders can't carry their guns into ANY county buildings. I would also like to know what other restrictions the county has, such as parks and if they hold any water against the premption law?

This is not true, you can carry in county buildings with or without a CPL. No local unit of government can restrict firearm possession. Now a court is a different thing. Not all county buildings are courts and it varies from county to county.

Hyperion

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:

ethernetweb:

Counties in Michigan do not produce local laws or ordinances.Home rule or incorporated municipalities may enact laws. Michigan peace officerscan enforcestate and local laws. Restrictions on open carrying into courthouses in Michigan is prohibited (with exceptions) by MCL 750.234d(c). CPLicensees are prohibited by court order (Michigan Supreme Court or chief judge of the circuit).

You can find a good source of local laws and ordinances at the following internet links:

http://www.law.msu.edu/library/substantive/local.htmlor

http://www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=22

This is not legal advice and is offered only as general information. If you have a specific need for legal advice, seek out an attorney. Or...pay me.

Regards, Dean.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Thank you for the replies and information.

The reasons I've been trying to track down this information is this:

1. The county building, Department of Human Services, has a PFZ sign posted.

2. Have been told, Community Mental Health, a county building also prohibits CPL holders from having their guns in the building.

3. Have been told that the building in which the County Clerks office is located also prohibits CPL holders from having their guns in the building.

I'm trying to figure out if this is just BS or if they really can prohit CPL holders from posessing their firearms in the buildings.

autosurgeon

imported post

If they are not a PFZ by state statute then they cannot ban firearms as they are a public building and preemption applies. Community Mental health may think they are a hospital but they are NOT and cannot use that PFZ.

If the clerks office is in the courthouse that may be how they are banning firearms. That is legal but silly.

CoonDog

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Thank you for the replies and information.

The reasons I've been trying to track down this information is this:

1. The county building, Department of Human Services, has a PFZ sign posted.

2. Have been told, Community Mental Health, a county building also prohibits CPL holders from having their guns in the building.

3. Have been told that the building in which the County Clerks office is located also prohibits CPL holders from having their guns in the building.

I'm trying to figure out if this is just BS or if they really can prohit CPL holders from posessing their firearms in the buildings.

Do either of the above places in #1 or #2 have inpatient facilities similar to a hospital? Does the facility in #3 contain a jail or courthouse? These are situations the County might use to call them PFZs. If not, then call them on their BS.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

1. No

2. No

3. Unsure, research indicates No.

I have every intention to call them on their BS, but I need to be 100% sure of my facts so I can back up my claims. (I'm still believing the preemption law solidly backs my claims in these situations)