• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs Expressing opinions about OCDO site

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Yup. Doesn't it scare the hell out of you that some of the officers out there think they are the gods of law interpretation and huddle with their little club of buddies under the false umbrella and guise of qualified immunity and justify their violation of our rights with self-righteous prejudice? Maybe somebody should trace the identity of those LEO posters and send a copy of the posts along to their CO and the district attorney where they are. I'm sure internal affairs would also love to have a copy because everybody loves a bunch of rogue LEOs running around with biased and false interpretations of the law now, don't they? Posting like that shows premeditation and intent to violate somebody's rights. Both are damning in court, so let them spew their bologna all they want. It will come back to bite them in the ass sooner or later. I would love to have evidence like that to hand over to an attorney. It would be a slam dunk case.

That's pretty much what they (nitrovic, et al.) suggested doing about us here at OCDO!

LovesHisXD45

imported post

HankT wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Yup. Doesn't it scare the hell out of you that some of the officers out there think they are the gods of law interpretation and huddle with their little club of buddies under the false umbrella and guise of qualified immunity and justify their violation of our rights with self-righteous prejudice? Maybe somebody should trace the identity of those LEO posters and send a copy of the posts along to their CO and the district attorney where they are. I'm sure internal affairs would also love to have a copy because everybody loves a bunch of rogue LEOs running around with biased and false interpretations of the law now, don't they? Posting like that shows premeditation and intent to violate somebody's rights. Both are damning in court, so let them spew their bologna all they want. It will come back to bite them in the ass sooner or later. I would love to have evidence like that to hand over to an attorney. It would be a slam dunk case.

That's pretty much what they (nitrovic, et al.) suggested doing about us here at OCDO!
Oh well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander I always say. :)

Kevin

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:

Oh well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander I always say. :)

Not very productive, though.

Nothing gets done. Nothing gets better...

KBCraig

imported post

HankT wrote:
It would have helped our OCDO reputation if more people here had challenged and/or disavowed S357's post when he made it here. Some here, but only about 0.01% of our posters did that. I don't remember, did you?
I seem to recall that S357's posts and comments caused so much turmoil, and so many heated responses, and so many complaints to the moderators, that they banned him.

If everyone had simply ignored him, I doubt he'd have been banned.

Speaking of stirring the pot... how close do you think NiTROLLvic is to getting banned on officer.com? I suspect his account there, is much safer than S357's was here.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

An officer should be held to a much higher standard. What would happen if a politician had made such comments? Stuff like that will come back on them in a hurry, especially when they have sanctioned authority to ruin somebody's life simply because they choose to. Civilians should not have to become lay-lawyers just to protect themselves from ignorant, self-righteous or corrupt law enforcement. However, that is what I have found is the only way to set them straight. It's pathetic really. Our rights are being eroded every single legislative session in some way or another (thank goodness the Utah legislature actually expanded gun rights this year). The legislative branch is a constant breathing machine that will continue to pass law after law after law for decades and centuries until either the people rise up and fight back and take the system back, or it crumbles under its own weight and corruption. There are only so many rights to take away until there is nothing left. There is only one solution to such a problem if it ever arises, and we all know from history what that solution is. I just hope I don't have to witness or participate in it during my lifetime. I absolutely despise violence, war and collateral damage.

Kevin

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yay Necro!

But I have a reason.

The Michigan bit with the porch and the raccoons has created a, probably bogus, rumbling about 'baiting the cops.'

As the cops themselves have been quotes in this same thread on the topic of 'being baited' I have to wonder, how does that work?

There seems to be a slight of hand at work with the word 'baiting.' As it is being referred to, it is the same thing as 'entrapment.'

An officer who is not a turd, won't be able to be 'baited.' 'Baiting' would only work on an Officer who already had intent and desire to do wrong. So, it really isn't baiting... Just like it isn't entrapment if you were going to commit the crime anyway...

Providing the Officer with an opportunity to show his true colors, whatever they may be, is not 'baiting.' Nor is it a bad thing to do, IMNSO. If there are cops out there who are just itching for a chance to attack someone whom they disagree with, and have no respect for the law/constitutional rights; they need to be outed ASAP.

These clowns in the cops forums are great examples. These freaks need to put their job where their mouth is. And OCers, I think, have a duty to give them a chance to step on their dicks. As the OC 'movement' grows we are finding the many subtle ways that some use to slander and undermine freedom in general. We've discovered that the 2a is a keystone, but doesn't stand alone. We're finding an assault on many rights for the 'crime' of having a right! those who agree with that kind of thiking are the ones who most desperately need to be dragged out of their places of hiding and thoroughly separated from their cash in court.

We shouldn't be hiding from 'the possibility of what people might think' in this situation any more than the more obvious refusal to 'be reasonable' and just give up the right to OC altogether. Why would you make that 'bold step' and refuse to take the next? Why would you defeat one lie, only to let others thrive? OC does not stand alone, it is interconnected with our other rights, just as they are to it.

Accusing OCers of baiting, is virtually an admission of criminal intent on their part. If we offer them the chance to be criminals, and they take it, well, I guess that is just what they are then, huh? If they were honorable and decent citizens themselves, they wouldn't even see chances to do wrong, because they wouldn't be looking for them! The 'bait' would be invisible. It works exactly like entrapment. We the OCers are not guilty of anything unless we convince them to do it. And we're doing no such thing.

The fact that an Officer sees that as 'bait' or refers to it as a challenge of any kind, is a sad statement of how corrupt their minds really are. Having them try to turn the issue on its ear and accuse us of wrongdoing, is some very old school propaganda that we should see right through. The fact that this kind of attitude survives in the LEO business should be very, VERY unsettling to any American, not just OCers.

Do we fall for the slight of hand when they say "You don't need a machine gun to hunt."? So why do some of us fall for the 'don't bait the cops' load of bull?

Nobody is baiting them. Even if I put on a t-shirt that says "I'm baiting the cops by OCing!" I'm still not actually baiting them, because it isn't bait to a legitimate officer anyway! It would not even be noticed by an officer unless he already had criminal intent and was looking for a target to attack.

Pardon my redundancy... Some heads are thick around here.

Gunslinger

imported post

HankT wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Well, it sux when somebody puts a bad rap on us with respect to the police. There are 99.9% of our posters that are respectful toward officers. If they want to get all bent out of shape about the .1% that are idiots, they can go right ahead. :)

However, I still haven't figured out why it's ok for cops to exceed the speed limit to make it home for dinner on time. When is the last time anyone saw a squad car pulling over another LEO in his cruiser for speeding? I lost count of how many police vehicles fly by me every day on my way to and from work on I-80 and Hwy 36 going into Tooele. Oh yeah, they must be on a call right? That must be why he is wearing a polo shirt with his uniform hanging in bags in the back. :p

That stuff they post over there on their little site is just what you would expect from those guys. They, like us, have some idiots too. ...

I don't think it's quite at the 99.9% level, LHXD.

And I agree with you that the thread over at officer.com have a mix ofreasonable and unreasonable. This seems reasonable:

Unistat wrote:
...The open carry picnic that is occasionally help in Michigan seem to be a good way to create awareness and comfort with open carry with as little controversy as possible (there will always be some, guns are controversial). In my opinion, exposure to reasonable firearm owners who carry (open or concealed) will benefit all firearm owners...

This oneseems unreasonable:

FJDavewrote:
I have said in the past that OC is an anti-police site, and this proves it. I'm just glad these OC morons in my state know that it's only legal to OC UNLOADED. They still get proned, cuffed and detained until I figure out what's going on with the weapon though.

However, we gotta remember that the starting point for that thread over at officer.com was the inanity in S357's (our very own guy, until recently) post:

smoking357 wrote:
...It's time, people.

Know the three rules:

1. Police are an army whose enemy is the People.

2. Police are the greatest enemy America has ever faced.

3. America would be better off without the police.

When we see a car pulled over, we need to realize that there is a citizen at risk. We need to start defending each other.

It's time we all remembered what open carry is all about, and it ain't protection against burglars.

It's time.

Pure, cheeky, anti-cop claptrap...

It would have helped our OCDO reputation if more people here had challenged and/or disavowed S357's post when he made it here. Some here, but only about 0.01% of our posters did that. I don't remember, did you?

I suggest that if only 5% or 10% of our posters had posted in opposition to S357's psuedo-revolutionary "police are the enemy"/"we need to start defending each other"(with guns, against the police) that we wouldn't be getting that bad rap against us.
I think you're missing the most important point, Hank. Cops take an oath. Somewhere in that oath it mentions "support and defend the Constitution of the United States and (fill in state)>" I've taken a similar oath twice--and meant it both times, active duty and Air Force civilian. If they can't abide by that oath, they lied and are therefore not deserving of any respect whatsoever. Cops should and must be held to a higher standard because we, the citizens, grant them 'police powers.' S357 had a right to his opinion; the moderators have a right to limit inflamatory postings on their site. Cops don't have a right to violate the oath they took. To me, it's that simple. If they can't be honest at the inception, they should not be allowed police powers. As I've and others have said many times: there are very good cops and very bad one. Most are somewhere in between towards the 'good' side. The ones that aren't deserve neither our respect nor a paycheck. The power of the vote and the courts must be used to put them in a job wherein they can't harm anyone. Or jail in the extreme case. That's not cop bashing. That's common sense. OC is simply one of the more visible "test cases" to make this determination.

scorpioajr

imported post

I just don't understand how they boil everything down to cop bashing, or cop haters etc etc...

Its simple:
They should not be hassling someone OCing. They have a plethora of information from FBI reports that states, specifically, that "None (criminals in their study) regularly used a holster*". but still give themselves reasonable cause or PC to detain OCers irregardless of this information, from an Agency that is seemingly cerebrally superior.

It's manipulations of the system that mess with law abiding citizens heads and they get a bad taste in their mouth for the ones doing it, and they just so happen to be Police.

I think its funny...hilarious...

Oh and just for the record, i don't think anyone here HATES cops. We just don't' like the few that detain law abiding citizens for OC. Unlike the sample of LEOs making these posts that just have HATE for OCers in general, think we are stupid and are, "...fully convinced you [we OCers] see it as an extension of your [us OCers] obviously questionable anatomy**"

This is the professionalism we have come to expect from certain LEOs...
..Change our minds!!!!

* : http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129832
** : http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130072&page=2

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I would like to know why the 4 times I have called 911 to report CRIMINAL activity
by police they never even send ONE SQUAD CAR!!!!!

Once I give the license plate number I get disconnected, or worse. :cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I think you're missing the most important point, Hank. Cops take an oath. Somewhere in that oath it mentions "support and defend the Constitution of the United States and (fill in state)>" I've taken a similar oath twice--and meant it both times, active duty and Air Force civilian. If they can't abide by that oath, they lied and are therefore not deserving of any respect whatsoever. Cops should and must be held to a higher standard because we, the citizens, grant them 'police powers.' S357 had a right to his opinion; the moderators have a right to limit inflamatory postings on their site. Cops don't have a right to violate the oath they took. To me, it's that simple. If they can't be honest at the inception, they should not be allowed police powers. As I've and others have said many times: there are very good cops and very bad one. Most are somewhere in between towards the 'good' side. The ones that aren't deserve neither our respect nor a paycheck. The power of the vote and the courts must be used to put them in a job wherein they can't harm anyone. Or jail in the extreme case. That's not cop bashing. That's common sense. OC is simply one of the more visible "test cases" to make this determination.
Strawman argument. I did not say that was cop-bashing.

I said this was cop-bashing.

smoking357 wrote:

...It's time, people.

Know the three rules:

When we see a car pulled over, we need to realize that there is a citizen at risk. We need to start defending each other.

It's time we all remembered what open carry is all about, and it ain't protection against burglars.

It's time.

Do you agree, Gunslinger?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I would like to know why the 4 times I have called 911 to report CRIMINAL activity
by police they never even send ONE SQUAD CAR!!!!!

Once I give the license plate number I get disconnected, or worse. :cuss:
Because License Plates aren't Political Agendas...

Well, not the kind we care about on this forum, anyway...

Gunslinger

imported post

HankT wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Strawman argument. I did not say that was cop-bashing.

I said this was cop-bashing.

smoking357 wrote:

...It's time, people.

Know the three rules:

It's time.
Do you agree, Gunslinger?
I don't agree with his statements' intent either. One could interpret them as more than 'cop bashing,' and to broadbrush every cop stopping someone for a traffic offense--or to help someone on the side of the road, as some kind of SS bully violating our rights is inane. Bad cops get a lot more publicity than good ones. That's a fact because that's news. They should be fired or jailed, as I said, depending on their offense. To suggest they are all an implacable enemy, period, and we should consider and act against them as such is stupid and anarchist logic. I agree that it doesn't belong on a forum dedicated to our republican rights.

BudParker

imported post

I’m not a LEO, never been a LEO. I’m just a retired Army 1SG and a regular citizen. I support Open Carry like many citizens, because society is a dangerous place. But, to reach success with Open Carry we must approach it in a rational, effective way.

The Law Enforcers will have a nightmare if and when OC is a reality. When they see someone with a pistol on his hip, what goes through their mind? Who is this guy (lady)? Legit? Bad guy? The LEO very likely will approach you cautiously, or openly hostile to check you out. Hell, that’s his job! We have to do two things: 1. Set the stage in your state to defuse OC through the State Legislature and Media, and 2. Be supportive of the Police when they want to check you out. Believe me, they will check you out.

Stupid will get you in trouble. Smart will help solve the problem. You have to pick which one you are. Stupid, or Smart? I live in Mississippi where your vehicle is considered an extension of your domicile and you can carry in your vehicle, openly or concealed. That is where our rights effectively stop. You may be constitutionally correct to carry openly in a holster on your hip, but you will be arrested and convicted.

There is a difference between being literally right and convicted in court. We must educate the public on OC via the media. Radio, newspaper, and TV in order to bring up the subject in the public’s mind. Otherwise, we are wasting out time even posting on this blog. If we do not have a ground swell of public approval behind us, the Legislature will not act.

thx997303

imported post

I will NOT be supportive of an officer "checking me out" without said officer having RAS for a Terry stop.

By OCing in Utah, I am committing NO CRIME, nor am I giving the officer any reason to believe I am or about to commit one.

Top, if you would like to wave your rights, that is your perogative, but this PFC will have none of it!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've always found it disturbing that one who served in the military to defend the Rights protected in the Constitution would then declare all citizens unworthy of those rights. That 'only ones' elitism in the hands of the military is extremely dangerous, and the reason I could never bring myself to enlist. A para-militarized police force endowed of that attitude even more, should have REAL veterans seeing red. How man died just to have some thug with a badge invoke their names during tha act of striping We the People of what they died for?

I don't think anything pisses me off more than that.

BudParker

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I will NOT be supportive of an officer "checking me out" without said officer having RAS for a Terry stop.

By OCing in Utah, I am committing NO CRIME, nor am I giving the officer any reason to believe I am or about to commit one.

Top, if you would like to wave your rights, that is your perogative, but this PFC will have none of it!
You are indeed lucky to live in one of the few states that have a realistic attitude about firearms. Many over populated states have much bigger problems with their Legislature and Courts. Consider yourself lucky. Have a good day.

thx997303

imported post

Indeed I am, though I am temporarily removed to a state with a much less realistic view.

Of all places, you would expect Texas to be a lot better on firearms.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Ahhhhhh. Warms the heart.

Observation at a distance, please, Mr. Police Officer.

If I am even consensually contacted over my lawfully carried firearm, the obvious implication is that exercising the basic human right to self-defense is suspicious. This is emphatically unacceptable.

If I am in legal jeopardy from a police encounter, then fair is fair. The officer will be in jeopardy, too,in just this way:his personnel file and promotion prospects are in jeopardy. Each mistake he makes will be the subject of a bulleted point in a formal complaint.

Wanta bet whetherI have a good grasp of the 4th and 5th Amendment case law on foot encounters, Officer?

Wanta bet whether I can look up each and every point I don't know between the time you let me go and the time I write the formal complaint, Officer? The internet is wonderful for this kind of legal research and I'll have several days while my FOIA request is being filled.

So, unless you have a really, really good reasonor absolute necessity, observation from a distance is your friend, Officer.