• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to buy .410 shotshells?

MirkoCrocop

imported post

I was wondering if at the age of 19 if im allowed to purchase .410 shotshells for a shotgun;)

the reason i ask this is because I know that there are handguns that now take .410 and i know that one has to be 21(fully adult) to buy a ammo for pistols but only 18(psuedo-adult) for long gun ammo. So my question is if I tell the employee Im buying .410 for a shotgun will I be able to legally buy it?

pyite

imported post

You should be able to buy them. Just because a couple of handguns (is it even a couple, i can only think of the Judge) can fire them doesnt make them handgun ammunition.

tag

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
MirkoCrocop wrote:
I was wondering if at the age of 19 if im allowed to purchase .410 shotshells for a shotgun;)

the reason i ask this is because I know that there are handguns that now take .410 and i know that one has to be 21(fully adult) to buy a ammo for pistols but only 18(psuedo-adult) for long gun ammo. So my question is if I tell the employee Im buying .410 for a shotgun will I be able to legally buy it?

The law that you are questioning, 18 USC 922(b)(1), refers to the type of firearm that the purchaser is going to use the ammunition in, not what the usual design of the ammo is. If you were purchasing the .410 ammunitionfrom a dealerfor use in a handgun, such as the Taurus Judge, then the age limit for that purchase would be 21. Buying it for use in a shotgun, the age limit, from a dealer, is 18.

The Federal law only applies to purchasing ammunition from a licensed dealer, private sales would be regulated by state law, and most states do not have the 21 year old age requirement for ammo to be used in a handgun.

Walmart won't let me buy 9mm for my "Marlin Camp Carbine." At one point I couldn't buy .22LR (still not sure if I can...)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

tag wrote:
Walmart won't let me buy 9mm for my "Marlin Camp Carbine." At one point I couldn't buy .22LR (still not sure if I can...)
I :cuss:some lady out one night for .22LR. I got her manager and got my way. The 9mm and .40 they won't budge on letting me buy it. I always just take someone 21 with me to avoid hassle. I even got hassled because it was my credit card and not the girl buying it for me. It was BULL! If they give me any crap I get a manager right away since the employee is obviously not worth dealing with.

tag

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
tag wrote:
I :cuss:some lady out one night for .22LR. I got her manager and got my way. The 9mm and .40 they won't budge on letting me buy it. I always just take someone 21 with me to avoid hassle. I even got hassled because it was my credit card and not the girl buying it for me. It was BULL! If they give me any crap I get a manager right away since the employee is obviously not worth dealing with.
The managers don't do anything, at least in my experience. One lady at the counter understands that I'm right, but if she sells it to me she could lose her job. Taking someone 21+ is so much easier than dealing with them.

nova

imported post

funny thing is, a license isn't required even to be an ammo dealer only (no guns). ATF website says that, and also that the age requirements only apply to federally licensed dealers.

Not to mention I also reload a lot of my ammo also.

A lot of the problem is with walmart itself...I read that it is their policy now to assume that .22 is being bought for pistols, and automatically restrict it to 21+. Even though it's called .22 long RIFLE. :banghead:

AbNo

imported post

FWIW, the Wal-mart on Burgess (33) in Harrisonburg will sell 9mm if it's for a longarm (HP 995), specifically because of one of the girls that works in one of the other departments bought a 9mm carbine. :)

Wait, that didn't sound right... :lol:

tag

imported post

nova wrote:
funny thing is, a license isn't required even to be an ammo dealer only (no guns). ATF website says that, and also that the age requirements only apply to federally licensed dealers.

Not to mention I also reload a lot of my ammo also.

A lot of the problem is with walmart itself...I read that it is their policy now to assume that .22 is being bought for pistols, and automatically restrict it to 21+. Even though it's called .22 long RIFLE. :banghead:
I've brought up the long rifle part, but that doesn't really change much. I've also brought them this (printed out, and I've emailed it to them)

(F7) May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old? [Back]
Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f7

At one point a friend of mine was able to buy one brand and size (50 round box vs 100) of 9mm (the register prompted "handgun or rifle?"), but not another brand or size (register prompted "Is cust. 21+?").

At this point I've given up.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the short list of pistols that fire the .410 all use 2 1/2" shotshells, not 2 3/4" or 3", so that would be your reasoning.
OK. You requested, I deliver ;). The Taurus Judge comes in 3" magnum. The Taurus website isn't working for me right now.
Magnum Research BFR. The king of pistols. 3" magnum.

curtiswr

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the short list of pistols that fire the .410 all use 2 1/2" shotshells, not 2 3/4" or 3", so that would be your reasoning.
OK. You requested, I deliver ;). The Taurus Judge comes in 3" magnum. The Taurus website isn't working for me right now.

As does the BFR :p

http://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr_specs.asp

"The .410 shot shell / slug cartridge is not compatible with the .45/70 caliber revolvers. The .45LC/.410 caliber has modified choke and wrench included. The .410 will accept 3" shotgun shells."

TFred

imported post

I saw this tonight at my local Walmart:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=847

I bet they wouldn't sell that to you, since it says "handgun" right on the box...

FP_410HandgunShotshell_sm.jpg

TFred