• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Challenged at the Troy Tea Party

michgunnut

imported post

I was carrying open at the tea party on 09/08/09 and I was asked by a guy in a dark suit if I was a police officer and I said no.

Then he asked "by what right I was carrying open" and I told him I was authorized by the Attorney General of Mich (not the best way to word it, but that was my quick response), then he said "OK" and walked away.

I assumed that he was law enforcement or maybe a city official but regardless of that, he walked away and that was the end of it.

Later on I wondered who he was, and what authority he was working for, maybe he was just a citizen, but I doubt that.

Does anybody have any idea where he might have been from ? Were any others approached at that event? Or the other tea parties in Jackson and Brighton that day?

In hindsight now, I wish i would have first asked him who he was before I answered him.

-Mark

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

michgunnut wrote:
I just edited my post and added my name.

Welcome Mark.

Interesting encounter. I highly doubt there were any Fed-level agents at the event. Interesting nonetheless.

You are authorized to carry openly by the Federal constitution, reaffirmed by the Michigan Constitution, reaffirmed by the State Attorney General (now Governor Granholm).

This right is available to all people, according to the constitution of Michigan.

cobra

imported post

There were at least two others who were OC at that event for a couple hours.

No confrontations or undue attention.

Welcome! and please enter your location :)

michgunnut

imported post

cobra wrote:
Welcome! and please enter your location :)
I live in Clarkston.

I was there with a friend last night in Troy who was also OC, neither of us saw any others, but we weren't really looking, and between the two of us, I was the only one asked any questions.

With people showing up at tea parties with AR-15's and AK-47's, so it seems like OC is legal for that too, is there a specific place in Michigan law or the Atty. Generals position that affirms that ?

Wglide90

imported post

The guy in the dark suit...

While suits are common in Troy, his terms in his question seemed a bit out of ordinary from what a "just concerned" citizan would ask.

It sure would be great to know who he was to get an idea of whom may be monitoring this action.

Dave

michgunnut

imported post

What I thought as strange was how he said "OK" and walked away.

He came up behind me so I turned to the side to talk to him and I put my face about 12" from his, I wasn't intimidated at all no matter who he was, i asssumed he was LEO, and it all took only about 10 seconds, but now my curiosity is high too.

Wglide90

imported post

Ya, if he were a guy that is interested in OC'g or guns for that matter, he would have talked to you on the subject, on the lines of the 2A, etc.

At the very least he was not an advocate of guns rights. Anyway you told him the way it is. Good job.

Dave

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wglide90 wrote:

While suits are common in Troy, his terms in his question seemed a bit out of ordinary from what a "just concerned" citizan would ask.

It sure would be great to know who he was to get an idea of whom may be monitoring this action.

The thought occurs that if he had been asked to identify himself or his affiliation and did so, that folks...uh.....wouldn't believe him.

Kind of ironic.

G

imported post

I've been asked if I'm the police, while semi-open carrying a few times.

My response is always "Are you a police officer?"

I ask so that I can immediately disclose posession of a concealed and loaded pistol.

I don't want to get tripped up and railroaded on that "immediate" nonsense.

The OP's challenger was probably just some right wing anti-gunner. There's a whole lot of 'em.

Wglide90

imported post

HankT wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:

The thought occurs that if he had been asked to identify himself or his affiliation and did so, that folks...uh.....wouldn't believe him.

Kind of ironic.

Hank, I'm not sureI follow you. Was it you?!

Is that why it's ironic?

Or are you saying that when people ask OC'rs if they are LEO and reply "No" that the general public doesn't believe the OC'r?