Thread: Joe Lewis Arena

Post imported post

Off topic, sorry. I'm flying into Detroit and attending an event at the Joe Lewis Arena this weekend. Is there anything to be concerned about in this area? I will not be carrying or have anything defensive other than situational awareness and at least 1 other person with me. Also (and maybe more important), recommend a good restaurant? Not particular about type, just good food and not a national chain type.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

Union Street is only a few miles away, and has awesome food. I don't know if you can afford $20 plates, but if that's not an issue, then check it out.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

It IS a dangerous area, but Joe Louis Arena itself isn't too bad. It's extremely heavily patrolled.

They have good food inside, but it's expensive as hell. I've never wandered around the outside of the place much, so I can't tell you about the other options.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

The whole Riverwalk area is pretty heavily patrolled now (from the RenCen to the JLA). I walk regularly along the river there without even getting a panhandler coming near me. As always, ANYWHERE can be dangerous but this area is 1000% better than years ago.

So, a couple choices:

Italian: Andiamo - RenCen Wintergarden Lower Level. Upscale. http://www.andiamoitalia.com/detroit/index.html

BBQ
    : Slows, Best in the area, bit a little drive from downtown (worth it!!!). http://slowsbarbq.com/directions.php

Greek: Niki's. http://www.nikispizza.com/

Pizza: PizzaPapalis. http://www.pizzapapalis.com/

Beer and Burger: Jacoby's kitchen is closed, but Hard Rock is not far away. http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=367&MIBenumID=3&MenuI D=15

If Slows was closer to downtown, I would eat there every day. The Carolina sauce is awesome!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Banned

Post imported post

GREEK TOWN NUF SAID! Might even park in Greek town to avoid the tunnel and take the people mover over.

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    GREEK TOWN NUF SAID! Might even park in Greek town to avoid the tunnel and take the people mover over.
    ++
    Try the Laikon Cafe. The lemon rice is awesome. It will be pricey however.

And be sure to pick up a great dessert the Astoria Pastry Shop!

Post imported post

You should check out the Detroit Beer company. They usually have 6 beers on tap and the food isn't too bad. Another choice is Fish Bones the alligator and a bucked of muscles sounds pretty good right now.

Post imported post

OK. For lunches or whatnot if your on a time crunch. Exit JLA into the COBO Hall Lobby along Washington Street. Walk all the way to the Congress St. entrance of the COBO Hall Lobby. Once out onto Congress hang a left and there are two or three Sports Bars / Pubs that have good food for a decent price. In the range of $10 per person drinkning pop or $12 to $14 per with beer depending on your beer selection.

Cant remember names right off as I am only down there three or four times a year but I think one has a bunch of Red Wing Logos on the door and window, might be Stanleys or Joes?? thats the one I usually frequent and then hit the others if that one is busy.

All of these are between Washington and First along Congress (two block stretch) with Washington and Congress being the corner of and entrance to COBO Hall.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay, but remember you have to come back to Detroit if we miss you the first time. JK

Radioman

Post imported post

Thanks all! Had a great time there! Friday eve went to a Tigers game. Had to have hot dogs there. They lost to Toronto but still was awsome!

Saturday evening went to Fish Bones in the Greek section. Had the ribs. Really good! Everyone in my group complimented their meals!

Flew home sunday afternoon. Had a great time! Will be back next year to the same conference!

Thanks again!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

carracer wrote:
    Thanks all! Had a great time there! Friday eve went to a Tigers game. Had to have hot dogs there. They lost to Toronto but still was awsome!

Saturday evening went to Fish Bones in the Greek section. Had the ribs. Really good! Everyone in my group complimented their meals!

Flew home sunday afternoon. Had a great time! Will be back next year to the same conference!

Thanks again!
    Just wondering...did you OC at the Tiger's game? (if you have an Idaho License to Carry a Concealed Weapon)

Oops, saw just now that you didn't carry at all. Glad you had a great time!

Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.