• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joe Lewis Arena

carracer

imported post

Off topic, sorry. I'm flying into Detroit and attending an event at the Joe Lewis Arena this weekend. Is there anything to be concerned about in this area? I will not be carrying or have anything defensive other than situational awareness and at least 1 other person with me. Also (and maybe more important), recommend a good restaurant? Not particular about type, just good food and not a national chain type.

malignity

imported post

Union Street is only a few miles away, and has awesome food. I don't know if you can afford $20 plates, but if that's not an issue, then check it out. :)

Michigander

imported post

It IS a dangerous area, but Joe Louis Arena itself isn't too bad. It's extremely heavily patrolled.

They have good food inside, but it's expensive as hell. I've never wandered around the outside of the place much, so I can't tell you about the other options.

PDinDetroit

imported post

The whole Riverwalk area is pretty heavily patrolled now (from the RenCen to the JLA). I walk regularly along the river there without even getting a panhandler coming near me. As always, ANYWHERE can be dangerous but this area is 1000% better than years ago.

So, a couple choices:

Italian: Andiamo - RenCen Wintergarden Lower Level. Upscale. http://www.andiamoitalia.com/detroit/index.html

BBQ
: Slows, Best in the area, bit a little drive from downtown (worth it!!!). http://slowsbarbq.com/directions.php

Greek: Niki's. http://www.nikispizza.com/

Pizza: PizzaPapalis. http://www.pizzapapalis.com/

Beer and Burger: Jacoby's kitchen is closed, but Hard Rock is not far away. http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=367&MIBenumID=3&MenuID=15

If Slows was closer to downtown, I would eat there every day. The Carolina sauce is awesome!

RubberArm

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
GREEK TOWN NUF SAID! Might even park in Greek town to avoid the tunnel and take the people mover over.
++
Try the Laikon Cafe. The lemon rice is awesome. It will be pricey however.

And be sure to pick up a great dessert the Astoria Pastry Shop!

Jonny008

imported post

You should check out the Detroit Beer company. They usually have 6 beers on tap and the food isn't too bad. Another choice is Fish Bones the alligator and a bucked of muscles sounds pretty good right now.

Radioman

imported post

OK. For lunches or whatnot if your on a time crunch. Exit JLA into the COBO Hall Lobby along Washington Street. Walk all the way to the Congress St. entrance of the COBO Hall Lobby. Once out onto Congress hang a left and there are two or three Sports Bars / Pubs that have good food for a decent price. In the range of $10 per person drinkning pop or $12 to $14 per with beer depending on your beer selection.

Cant remember names right off as I am only down there three or four times a year but I think one has a bunch of Red Wing Logos on the door and window, might be Stanleys or Joes?? thats the one I usually frequent and then hit the others if that one is busy.

All of these are between Washington and First along Congress (two block stretch) with Washington and Congress being the corner of and entrance to COBO Hall.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay, but remember you have to come back to Detroit if we miss you the first time. JK

Radioman

carracer

imported post

Thanks all! Had a great time there! Friday eve went to a Tigers game. Had to have hot dogs there. They lost to Toronto but still was awsome!

Saturday evening went to Fish Bones in the Greek section. Had the ribs. Really good! Everyone in my group complimented their meals!

Flew home sunday afternoon. Had a great time! Will be back next year to the same conference!

Thanks again!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

carracer wrote:
Thanks all! Had a great time there! Friday eve went to a Tigers game. Had to have hot dogs there. They lost to Toronto but still was awsome!

Saturday evening went to Fish Bones in the Greek section. Had the ribs. Really good! Everyone in my group complimented their meals!

Flew home sunday afternoon. Had a great time! Will be back next year to the same conference!

Thanks again!
Just wondering...did you OC at the Tiger's game? (if you have an Idaho License to Carry a Concealed Weapon)

Oops, saw just now that you didn't carry at all. Glad you had a great time!