• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in vehicle regarding ammunition.

Mr. May

imported post

Well, I am new here and I have been researching the laws and regulations regarding open carry for Virginia before I attempt to do this for the first time.

I did a search for this question to see if it was already asked, but didn't seem to find one so I do apologize if this has already been answered.

The only thing I cant seem to find is whether or not it is permitted for me to have a loaded handgun in the vehicle with me in a shoulder holster or in a mounted holster, although it would be pointless to have one unloaded I just want to have all my bases covered.

I have tested the wearing of a shoulder holster in a vehicle and it is in plain view so there's no worries on the concealed factor for that, or at least with my reasoning there isn't.

Thank you for your help.

Phoenix David

imported post

Hello:

You may wish to post the questions in your state forum, you may get a quicker answer. But will all Internet advice it is best to double check. :)

Mr. May

imported post

Ah I see, well I figured that board was for stories. Alas, I shall mosey on over to that board and try my luck.

thanks, though

usaf0906

imported post

you are good to go with loaded open carry in a vehicle. Even if you were to have it on your left hip (blocked from view by the door) its still open, just as if you sit in a booth with strong side to the wall.

I would suggest getting your CHP only because it can be helpful in these situations and you wont have to worry about it.

Mr. May

imported post

Thank you for your help, and I fully intend to get my CHP. I am going to try to take the safety class this weekend in fact and apply for it the following Monday.

hopnpop

imported post

HEADS UP - Michigan here. If carrying/wearing a pistol, unloaded or not, is A-OK without a concealed pistol license, then that's a difference in state laws between VA and MI. In Michigan, the only legal way to transport a pistol without a CPL (CHP) is unloaded, locked, and seperated from ammunition. The ONLY way you can carry/wear a pistol in a car in Michigan is if you're licensed for concealed carry, even if it's unloaded.

It may be fine in Virginia, I don't know; but if it is, it's one of the differences in state statutes. Just giving a heads-up. Do your homework! :D