• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to site..

dkishton1486

imported post

Hey guys I am new to this site. I live in the Mahoning County and I have been trying ALL day to get a correct answer out of local and state law enforcement. My question is this:

I currently do not hold a CCW License at this point in time (planning on geting it real soon) but I am curious about open carry. Now since I am not a permit/license holder for CCW is it LEGAL to open carry around town?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!!!!

It would help if we knew the state you reside in.

We have learned after long experience to never ever ask law enforcement about the law. For a variety of reasons, you get wrong answers.

Best to consult the law yourself. Let us know your state, and we'll be happy to try to help.

dkishton1486

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!!!!!!

We have learned after long experience to never ever ask law enforcement about the law. For a variety of reasons, you get wrong answers.

Best to consult the law yourself. Let us know your state, and we'll be happy to try to help.
Wow I am a total IDIOT.. I live in Ohio and I am 23 yrs old

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dkishton1486 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!!!!!!

Wow I am a total IDIOT.. I live in Ohio and I am 23 yrs old

OK, guys. You got that? All twenty-three year olds from Ohio are idiots. He says so himself. :D

(Just teasing)

dkishton1486

imported post

Ok to my understanding I can legally carry my handgun openly without a permit/license or taking any class. Thank You

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dkishton1486 wrote:
Ok to my understanding I can legally carry my handgun openly without a permit/license or taking any class. Thank You

You're welcome.

Next, I might recommend hopping over onto the Ohio sub-forum and posting an introduction. And asking for pointers, any intelligence about hostile cops in various locations, and the legality of voice-recorders. You might even senda PM (private message) to the regular participants if the sub-forum looks sleepy lately.

For some reason we haveplenty ofpeople who decide to get a voice-recorder after a run in with cops. But, nobody has ever said after a police encounter that they wished they had not recorded it. The legality of recording is really important, though.

hopnpop

imported post

dkishton1486 wrote:
Just make sure you do your homework 1st!! Familiarize yourself with the laws!! For instance, in Michigan, without a CPL, you may only transport a pistol unloaded, locked, and inaccessible to the driver. You can't arm yourself until you've exited the vehicle. Then, on foot, you're fine. I'm just saying cover your ass with both hands, and know what you're doing.