• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So far So good.

Jizzzle

imported post

Some of you are aware of the lawsuit that I'm currently pursuing in regards to getting pulled out of a NM movie theater for being Armed and not dangerous. Essentially OC and it made the manager nervous and a 911 call was placed, 6-7 police officers show up and pull me out of the theater, search me, take my gun, run the S/N and then give me a bunch of pointless retoric as to why I should in their opinion "excercise more discretion concering where I chose to open carry". Oh well.

Anyway we just got the summary judgement back from the judge assigned our case and it was in our favor. He found the officer at fault for 4th amendment rights violations in accordance with Terry and a few other references.

Now, all we have left is the jury to decide what damages might end up being. That happens in Jan. I'll update more later on.

codename_47

imported post

can you post a case number? BTW, you are my hero, and I seriously mean that. It won't be until more people like you stand up that cops will start getting the message.

45acpForMe

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
Some of you are aware of the lawsuit that I'm currently pursuing in regards to getting pulled out of a NM movie theater for being Armed and not dangerous. Essentially OC and it made the manager nervous and a 911 call was placed, 6-7 police officers show up and pull me out of the theater, search me, take my gun, run the S/N and then give me a bunch of pointless retoric as to why I should in their opinion "excercise more discretion concering where I chose to open carry".
Too bad you can't sue the movie theater for instigating the illegal search and detention. I would at least write and ask the theater and manager for a formal apology. The apology of course should be worded such that they welcome law abiding OC-ers in the future and respect the 2A. Good luck.

Jizzzle

imported post

the case number will be out soon.one of the mods havemost of the info and i think he's going to be working on an article for the examiner on it.

Phssthpok

imported post

Can this judgment be forwarded to the FBI for the purposes of seeing federalcriminal charges (18 USC sec's 241,242)pursued? Civil judgements are all well and good, but I personally think that the lesson won't be learned by other 'thug' types unless and until they are hit with CRIMINAL sanctionsfor their actions by the very system/laws they purport to enforce.

(Are there state level laws where you live thatyou can pursue to criminalize their actions?)

Jizzzle

imported post

thanks.

and i also really want to thank everyone who helped me out originally. i do really appreciate it. you know who you are. :celebrate

TFred

imported post

I read the order linked in the post on the New Mexico forum, it looks like the judge left the battery claim for the jury as well, is that not the way you understood it?

I found two particularly interesting points in the file:

Footnote #5, which says:
"Defendants [the police officers] contend that Mr. St. John was about to commit a crime because, had he refused to comply with their request that he leave the premises, he would have been trespassing."
My emphasis, but wow, talk about putting the cart before the horse! Could you even begin to imagine the world we would live in if this ridiculous line of reasoning had prevailed?

Later, on Page 11, under "St. John's Claim for Unreasonable Search", the judge writes:
"Defendants [again, the police officers] lacked any reasonable suspicion for believing that Mr. St. John was armed and dangerous, as required by Tenth Circuit jurisprudence. See Davis, 94 F.3d at 1468. Defendants ask the Court to ignore the conjunctive phrasing of the rule and find, in essence, that anyone who is armed is, by virtue of that fact, dangerous. In light of the extensive, controlling and compelling jurisprudence to the contrary, the Court declines to do so."
Wow... as Mike noted, it is quite refreshing that this judge saw through such a load of ... insert your favorite term ... and common sense will prevail.

TFred

ETA: Indents for clarity

FrankC

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Can this judgment be forwarded to the FBI for the purposes of seeing federal criminal charges (18 USC sec's 241, 242) pursued? Civil judgements are all well and good, but I personally think that the lesson won't be learned by other 'thug' types unless and until they are hit with CRIMINAL sanctions for their actions by the very system/laws they purport to enforce.

(Are there state level laws where you live that you can pursue to criminalize their actions?)

I actually agree with this, the cart before the horse type bs excuses need to be stopped. Good job sticking it out OP, I bet those cops remember you now and will leave you alone too!

codename_47

imported post

Stop fantasizing, the FBI isn't going to investigate this. They never will. Don't believe me? Go ask them.

marine77

imported post

Read about your judgement. Cool, hopefully they will stick it to them bigtime.

opencarrybilly

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
Stop fantasizing, the FBI isn't going to investigate this. They never will. Don't believe me? Go ask them.

Don't give up. The FBI disappointed me. I went to the DOJ. See "Loveland Update" in the Colorado section. We'll see.

And, YES, Jizzzle, WAY-TA-GO!!!!!!!!

And, also, way-ta-go to your supporters. I am still hoping to find some more. I do much appreciate the supportive comments on this forum and personal support from friends. And, especially the support of one very special and courageous friend.

I am still hoping for legal and/or financial support.

(See the various Loveland threads in the Colorado section)