• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fed Judge Rules: Police cannot detain for OC

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Michigander wrote:
snip...Does this ruling set a nation wide standard, or only for that district?
Oh please let it mean something here in this gun owning $hithole that is my home state.

The decision is only binding to that district of the Federal Appeals Court.

However, it does serve as guidance to other courts, it's just not binding.

True... but if another district decides the issue differently, it does set it up for possible Supreme Court scrutiny.

Hillsdale

imported post

I'd expect a good ruling from New Mexico. It's a pretty good state. Vastly more free than Michigan.

But I am a little confused by this. Does this ruling set a nation wide standard, or only for that district?

I do believe your answer is in Article 4 of the US Constitution. It clearly states that full faith and credit shall be given to the judicial proceedings of every other Sate. However, there area lot of unlawful judges.

Hillsdale

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
wow that i.s huge. What happens in NM doest necesarily impact us in MI though

The answer lies in Article IV of the US Constitution. It clearly states that full faith and credit shall be given to the judicial proceedings of every other State.

Yes it does and if I knew how to postproperlyin here I would show you the truth.

Hillsdale

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Oh please let it mean something here in this gun owning $hithole that is my home state.

Not so. It is binding on all states and possessions of the Unites States, it just needs to be authenticated. This can be seen in USC title 28 Sec. 1738. You can read it here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode28/usc_sec_28_00001738----000-.html

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Hillsdale wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Michigander wrote:

Not so. It is binding on all states and possessions of the Unites States, it just needs to be authenticated.  This can be seen in USC title 28 Sec. 1738.  look it up

afaik:

United States district courts are the trial courts of the federal court system, NOT a state court.

http://www.uscourts.gov/outreach/resources/comparefedstate.html

Since the reference to the US District Courts
found under Article III of the Constitution (establishing a Supreme Court and whatever other federal courts Congress thinks are necessary) makes it pretty explicit that these courts are governed by Congress, claiming that "full faith and credit" applies is, imho, incorrect. Please re-read the website to which you link: "Full Faith and Credit" is applicable to the courts of states, territories and possessions.