• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry in Richmond?....duh

essayons

imported post

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/FANNGAT09_20090909-234002/291797/

Richmond police are investigating two robberies in quick succession last night in the Fan District near the southwestern edge of Virginia Commonwealth University’s main academic campus.
A group of three males, at least two of whom had guns, committed the robberies within a few seconds of each other, police Capt. David L. Martin said.
“They were just picking targets as they walked down the street,” Martin said.
The lone injury involved a person who was struck in the head with a handgun and was treated at VCU Medical Center for a small laceration, Martin said.
A blown transformer had created a partial power outage in the area at the time, with many buildings and traffic lights dark but a number of street lights still functioning, Martin said.
He said the first robbery occurred at 9:47 p.m. in the 1300 block of West Main Street, near the Randolph Street intersection, when two people getting into a car were confronted by three suspects who forced them to get prone on the ground and took their wallets.
The robbers then moved eastbound toward Brunswick Street and found a small group of people sitting on a porch and robbed them as well, this time striking one of the victims in the head, Martin said.
Because of the poor lighting conditions, witnesses were able to describe the robbers only as three black males, all wearing dark clothing, including one with a hoodie.
Police brought in canine tracking teams to help in the search for the suspects, who were last seen getting in a car near Cary and Morris streets, a short distance southeast of the second robbery.

I was affected by the power outage and went for a walk with the g/f. Walked down Brunswick towards Main at approx. 9:30. I try to stay off Main late at night, so we turned and walked down Floyd. Always listen to your instincts. I was CC'ing on account of the rain.
I can't understand anyone who leaves their home in Richmond after dark unarmed.

kenny

imported post

It seems lately that a lot of the robberies and other crimes on people are not making the news. Over the holiday weekend there were 12 robberies and that come directly from RPD's web site under statistics and daily crime report. An ATM user was robbed by force near me Sunday night.

The current police chief has told more than one media source that he will not be talking about the violent crimes. Thanks to the reporters who monitor the scanners.

I guess he considers these violent crimes as victim less. I wish VCU and Capitol Police listed the crimes they handle as they are not included with the Richmond information.

wylde007

imported post

The first thing you do when a fox raids the hen house is clean up the mess and try to make it seem like nothing happened so the rest of the chickens go back to being productive... it has an eerie similarity across species, eh?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
The first thing you do when a fox raids the hen house is clean up the mess and try to make it seem like nothing happened so the rest of the chickens go back to being productive... it has an eerie similarity across species, eh?
That's pretty simple. The city doesn't want the reputation (as if they didn't already have it). The new Chief doesn't want it ...and...

The information people with the PD are former channel 12 reporters. They deal it out according to what the PD wants.

curtiswr

imported post

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11107613

[line]3 gunman attempt robbery in The Fan

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Three gun-toting robbers are on the run after attacking several people in Richmond's Fan District overnight Wednesday.

Ian Ciulla was just sitting on the front porch of his apartment building on South Brunswick Street when the attack happened. Even though he made it out unharmed for him it's still surprising.

"I told my girlfriend, Danielle get inside" saysCiulla."AndI ran and grabbed my computer andI dove inside. The guy was right behind me and chased me.I turned and shut the door, his hand was almost in the door asI was shutting it."

The suspects got away with nothing but just around the corner robbed another group of unsuspecting residents walking down main street.

"They had been at Mulligan's Sport Grill and had left the restaurant and were walking in the parking lot getting in their vehicles when they were approached bythree suspects," says Richmond Police Lieutenant Edward Capriglione. "Two of them were armed. The robbery took place in the parking lot."

Twoof Ian's roomates were hit in the head with the suspect's gun and had to be treated at the hospital. Now they will always be on the lookout to prevent something like this from turning deadly.

"As much as you can keep your doors lock," says Ciulla. "Anything you can do. You never really know when something like this is going to happen so you kind of got to stay on guard."

If you have any information about either of thesetwo incidents you are asked to call Richmond Police at646-5100.
[line]​
Being on the lookout doesn't prevent something from turning deadly in and of itself. The story is lacking details of what they plan to do along with being on guard and maintaining a better awareness about them... either that or they are naive enough to not have a plan other than keeping their eyes peeled and being prepared to break out in a sprint again. Don't think they are Kenyan and even if they were, I still don't think they'd be fast enough if one, two, or three people decided to start shooting.

And there's also this robbery story:

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11090546
[align=left]
[line]3 similar robberies Labor Day have police comparing facts

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Was it a crime spree? Or is it just a fluke? Three robberies in just about three hours, in three different localities. Now local police are comparing facts.

The first happened Monday afternoon around 1:45 p.m. in Richmond.
[line]

[/align]Oh... but don't worry: onceStopping the Pain hits all the local channels and every Richmond-dweller watches it... it will bring "hope to Richmond neighborhoods."

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11095488

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote: Richmond.
Oh... but don't worry: onceStopping the Pain hits all the local channels and every Richmond-dweller watches it... it will bring "hope to Richmond neighborhoods."

Damn - now need to change shirts - almost got on my keyboard too.

Give required BEVERAGE ALERT in the future
Coffee and computers are not compatible.

LMAO - I owe you one Curtis. :lol:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
curtiswr wrote: Richmond.
Oh... but don't worry: onceStopping the Pain hits all the local channels and every Richmond-dweller watches it... it will bring "hope to Richmond neighborhoods."

Damn - now need to change shirts - almost got on my keyboard too.

Give required BEVERAGE ALERT in the future
Coffee and computers are not compatible.

LMAO - I owe you one Curtis. :lol:

Yata hey
I got a good laugh outta that one too. Curtis has a lot of potential.