• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Activism in downtown Seattle

Brian5

imported post

I'm gauging interest in armed activism in downtown Seattle sometime in the near future and would like to know if others would be interested in joining.

Rather than have it be strictly "open-carry awareness," I'm thinking "self-defense awareness" could reach more people without an automatic shutdown in people's thinking happening. Let me explain:

Armed activists (you and me) handing out pamphlets in downtown Seattle. The pamphlets would say something to the effect of:
  1. 1. Intro: Persuasion that you [the reader] are your own first-defense
  1. 2. Main body: List of common types of defense (pepper spray, stun gun, firearms) with short descriptions of advantages/disadvantages/relavent RCW and SMC sections
  1. 3. Ending: Statement that those who handed you [the reader] this pamphlet have chosen firearms as one of their lines of defense to raise awareness of ...

I'm also thinking informing the media of this event would be a good idea, maybe get some on-camera interviews for those who wish to do so.

What do you all think?

1245A Defender

imported post

sooo, you signed up to the forum 12 hours ago............and this is your "post"

do you have any lurking history?

do you OC? do you got a CPL?do you CC? do you know any any of the RCW 9.41s?

Mmmmmmmm????

Brian5

imported post

Yes, been lurking on the forums for a while. Have a CPL, do CC, and am aware of the RCWs. Have not OCed.

deanf

imported post

Nothing I hate more than some stranger on the street thrusting a flyer at me.

Why would you want to bother people like that? That's what people see it as: a bother.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree with Dean but like your enthusiasm. Maybe if you can have a shirt or a sign, that said to ask you about your 2A rights or Washington rights on self defense, leave it up to people to approach you.

I find just open carrying and being friendly, and accessible to those who are curious has sparked many conversations with people I would have never have spoken to in going about my normal everyday business.

Maybe OC first before you do this, get comfortable with your rights first. Hope to see you on here more and welcome to OCDO>

Brian5

imported post

People OC for various reasons, of course. I did today for the first time (went very smoothly: bus, downtown, Barne & Noble, ATT store, bus again). Part of me wants to get the word out that it is legal, not a 'bad' thing, increases safety, and would like the sight of OC to become more commonplace, or at the very least more acceptable, especially in a liberal city like Seattle.

This for of activism would address some of those issues more directly than simply OCing to the store or on the bus (though of course there is value in these).

So to answer the question 'why would I want to bother people,' I'm not convinced that would would necessarily 'bother' people (a simple 'no' from passersby is all that is necessary), and if it does, the reason is to address the issues above, which I would guess many of you would agree with. The purpose is to 'get the word out' in a (in my opinion) more effective manner than a single person OCing.

Also, I could see getting local businesses involved... see if they want to offer some type of $1.00 or 5% off personal defense items with some type of coupon that could be handed out to interested parties. Win win, as we'd be bringing business to them.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

As long as you are legal and present your self decently I don't have a problem with it. Personally I am with Dean that I don't like flyers thrust at me. I think you are on to a good idea if done right though, maybe a placard, announcing what you are about let people decide if they want to hear more. Maybe rent a booth somewhere public with a sign up.

If you get a chance go visit Manu's restaurant in Des Moines, he offers a 15% discount for members of this forum who open carry there.

Brian5

imported post

Thanks svg for your input. Appreciate it. Yes, it would have to be done quite... delicately. Table/booth is a great idea.

Would love others' feelings about it too. Constructive criticism/suggestions/ideas.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Brian5 wrote:
I could also see having copies of Seattle Police Department's and King County Sheriff's training bulletins on open carry to hand out to those interested would be useful. They are available on this forum: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1

The Kent one is in Word format, and I don't have Word. Any where I can get it in PDF?