• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry

GF

imported post

Congratulations. I remember the looks they gave me when I carried openly for the first time. :uhoh:

TylerEMT

imported post

GF wrote:
Congratulations. I remember the looks they gave me when I carried openly for the first time. :uhoh:

They stop when you open carry a second time though ;)J/k

Welcome to the world of self protection. Yay!

GF

imported post

They stop when you open carry a second time though ;)J/k

Welcome to the world of self protection. Yay!
HAHA. That is very true. My first open carry was in Wally World on 79th and Peoria and I asked a friend that works there if he notices people carrying and he said "All the time" and the associates really do not care except the night stockers whom I have experienced some negative attention from. But I rarely see anyone else carrying.

rmbrems

imported post

My first OC was in a QT on 7th St in Sunnyslope. At the time, I was nervous as hell, and to add, there were 3 LEO's inside. I went about my shopping, and while standing in line to checkout, one of the LEO's asked how I liked my XDM. He told me that that was his personal choice for carry himself. I must say, after that, i was far more relaxed about OC'ing.

I have noticed that when I OC, I am generally more polite and thoughtful of others

Now days I both OC and CC. I OC when in public places, but usually conceal when I really don't want the attention (like the city bus, and other places where if the crap hit the fan, I would like to retain the tactical element of surprise)

Although I strongly support OC here in AZ, I think having a CCW is good for several reasons: 1. The class is great for understanding what the laws in AZ are for carrying and use of force, and what the consequences are for violating them 2. Sometimes you just need to hide your iron, plain and simple.

r6-rider

imported post

most people in AZ dont care if you have a gun. its all the people from outside the state that get nervous

and dont be afraid to go anywhere with your pistol, just use common sense and carry til you get kicked out. youd be surprised the places you can go and not get questioned/harassed

Sonora Rebel

imported post

rmbrems wrote:
My first OC was in a QT on 7th St in Sunnyslope. At the time, I was nervous as hell, and to add, there were 3 LEO's inside. I went about my shopping, and while standing in line to checkout, one of the LEO's asked how I liked my XDM. He told me that that was his personal choice for carry himself. I must say, after that, i was far more relaxed about OC'ing.

I have noticed that when I OC, I am generally more polite and thoughtful of others

Now days I both OC and CC. I OC when in public places, but usually conceal when I really don't want the attention (like the city bus, and other places where if the crap hit the fan, I would like to retain the tactical element of surprise)

Although I strongly support OC here in AZ, I think having a CCW is good for several reasons: 1. The class is great for understanding what the laws in AZ are for carrying and use of force, and what the consequences are for violating them 2. Sometimes you just need to hide your iron, plain and simple.
There is no tactical element of surprise with CC. Surprise is an offensive tactic. You will always react to the offensive. The offense (BG) will always initiate the threat or attack. The BG will always have the element of surprise. You heard that crap from your CWP instructor didn't ya? They're in the business to 'sell'. It's in their interests to promote more CWP's.

No... you don't need to 'hide your iron'. It wasn't even an option in AZ until 1994. Concealed permits are a government contrivance to appease the anti's 'n the hoplophobes. It's another control mechanism. The free exercise of a Right does not require licence or permit.Yeah... I know... most of ya grew up bein' taught that...

gun = permit/license+ registration + magical training + a'Mother-May-I?'mentality.

NO! NO No No No NO!

rmbrems

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
rmbrems wrote:

There is no tactical element of surprise with CC. Surprise is an offensive tactic. You will always react to the offensive.  The offense (BG) will always initiate the threat or attack.  The BG will always have the element of surprise.  You heard that crap from your CWP instructor didn't ya?  They're in the business to 'sell'.  It's in their interests to promote more CWP's. 

No... you don't need to 'hide your iron'.  It wasn't even an option in AZ until 1994. Concealed permits are a government contrivance to appease the anti's 'n the hoplophobes.  It's another control mechanism. The free exercise of a Right does not require licence or permit. Yeah... I know... most of ya grew up bein' taught that...

gun = permit/license + registration + magical training + a 'Mother-May-I?' mentality.

NO! NO No No No NO!
I disagree with "No... you don't need to 'hide your iron'." I think there are times and places when it is a necessity. But this is an OC forum, so oh well.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

AZ Patriot wrote:
I disagree with "No... you don't need to 'hide your iron'." I think there are times and places when it is a necessity. But this is an OC forum, so oh well.
'Care to elaborate on where 'n when? There are times where one need not be armed... true enough... but pray tell where/whenit'd be necessary tohide it? CC is even contrary to the original AZ Constitutional Convention.

JesseL

imported post

Well, eating in a restaurant that serves alcohol would be one place where concealment is indicated - either pre- or post-law change ;)

rmbrems

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
AZ Patriot wrote:
'Care to elaborate on where 'n when? There are times where one need not be armed... true enough... but pray tell where/when it'd be necessary to hide it? CC is even contrary to the original AZ Constitutional Convention.

For me, church. I carry at church, but do so concealed. Another place that I CC, it is perfectly legal to OC, however- it is against their "rules". Rather than deal with the fallout of breaking their "rules" (note: not breaking any laws), I choose to CC and avoid the discussion with them altogether.

rmbrems

imported post

Ya never know. These days with school shootings and the like- Im actually surprised that some nut-job hasn't gone postal in a church yet. If that happens to me at my church, the nut-job better be prepared to meet God face to face.