• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another "No Firearms" sign!

Bennelli

imported post

Here is a photo of a sign on my 5 year old's school (Crescent Elem School). It makes it appear that no one can have a Firearm with them on the school property. I have a CFP and I am a Certified Concealed Carry Firearm Instructor, so this sign has no vaule for me, but it is mis-leading. I know the law which allows CFP holders to carry a firearm in any public school in Utah.

(not in the photo) it states "in accordance with all State and local Laws" I guess that is to cover the exception of CFP holders.

mqondo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Yeah, well that sign needs to be taken down.

Talk to the administrators at the school.
Maybe even talk to the School District. They probably have them on all their schools.

thx997303

imported post

We really need a much larger scale move to take care of these errant violations of state pre-emption law.

Our current course of action works, but very slowly, and our efforts tend to become centralized to certain areas because our membership is few.

Let's think on how to speed up the process. In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled and fire off letters when needed.

Keep up the fire.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Is it a Private or Public school? There would be a difference there.
Not really. :)

The difference is that since Crescent is a public school, their "rule" is unenforceable, and the sign is unlawful per Utah Code 53-5a-102.

If Crescent were a private school, the sign would not be unlawful, and they could make any rule they want that pertains to firearms.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

The difference is that since Crescent is a public school, their "rule" is unenforceable, and the sign is unlawful per Utah Code 53-5a-102.

If Crescent were a private school, the sign would not be unlawful, and they could make any rule they want that pertains to firearms.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Sounds like SGT and I need to make an OC stop at that school! :shock::D
In a couple of weeks of course.

tbeenysw

imported post

Are you really going to OC at that public school? Won't you get in trouble with the FGFSZA? Or is it true that it is unenforcable?

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

tbeenysw wrote:
Are you really going to OC at that public school? Won't you get in trouble with the FGFSZA? Or is it true that it is unenforcable?
No problem with open carry at ANY public school in the State of Utah AS LONG AS YOU HAVE BEEN ISSUED A PERMIT ALLOWING YOU TO CONCEAL BY THE STATE OF UTAH!

That being said, some of the schools need to be reminded of that, at times.

And if my schedule permits, I am willing to go with Sgt Jensen and Packingmama when they do this!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

tbeenysw wrote:
No, we have no plans to carry there, nor do we have any business at Crescent Elementary.

However, since my wife and I have concealed firearm permits, carrying in any Utah public schoolwould not be a problem.

The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act applies to K-12 schools only, and there is an exemption if you are licensed by the State the school is in.

Utah law covers all schools, but permit holders from any State are exempt.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

just write in marker "Illegal" next to Firearms

The ogden river walk has a no firearms sign, I just ignore it, I'll take a picture of it over the next few days

UtahJarhead

imported post

usSiR wrote:

The ogden river walk has a no firearms sign, I just ignore it, I'll take a picture of it over the next few days
The river walk at the Big Dee Sports Park? The one that follows the river west under Harrison, Monroe, etc? I've never noticed it, I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm in Ogden as well.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
usSiR wrote:

The river walk at the Big Dee Sports Park? The one that follows the river west under Harrison, Monroe, etc? I've never noticed it, I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm in Ogden as well.

yeah devil dog....

take a good look at them, I notice it at Washington most of the time you have to walk right past the sign

Semper Fi

UtahJarhead

imported post

I'm going to have to check that out. If it's saying no firearms AT ALL, then that being public property, it's illegal signage, no?

mqondo

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
I'm going to have to check that out. If it's saying no firearms AT ALL, then that being public property, it's illegal signage, no?
Yes, that is correct.

mqondo

imported post

I was there about 2 months ago, and the signs were still there. Not very recent, I know. Next time I'm there I'll check it out.

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

Looking at the sign at the school....

Do they teach proper punctuation....at
Crescent Elem. School???
attachment.php

Looks like your Firearm is OK as long as it Is "not Smoking"

"Would you like to buy a comma"--Vanna White