• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 22

JDriver1.8t

imported post

It is a great firearm, and carried by hundreds of thousands of police officers.

My Glock .40 family is a 27 (subcompact), 23C (compact), and 24 (longslide full size).

I would recommend you handle one and decide if you like the placement of the finger grooves with the size of your hand. Some people prefer the spacing on the compact models better.

Hiredgun30

imported post

if u get a model 22 you could look into getting a 357 sig barrel for it also..

i carry a model 31, my only complaint about the 357 sig is, carry ammo is expensive.

XDM OWNER

imported post

I have the glock 24C .40 and am very happy. I dont open carry it but you could if you wanted to Its very long though but very accurate and the barrell is compensated. I also have the 357 sig conversion and highly recommend it ......

hp-hobo

imported post

My wife has a thing for .40 caliber Glocks, so she owns a 22, a 23 and a 27. The 22 is a great range gun but kinda large for CC, so it never gets carried.Until South Carolina ever sees the light and allows OC, it'll remain a range/home defense gun. For open carry we think it would be great.

As for my two cents on the .357 Sig barrel, I don't see any point in spending your money on one. The ammo is more expensive, less available and not substantially different in stopping power. IMO you're betteroff spending your money on lot's of practice ammo, extra mags and maybe a Ghost trigger.

Your results may vary.

bohdi

imported post

I have a 22, it's the only thing I carry. It's also painful after 200 rounds at the range on my trigger finger. I don't have the same issue with most other weapons, but most other weapons don't have a dual trigger.

For what it's worth, what anyone else thinks is really not applicable to you. It's what you think. You will have good/bad experiences with the public regardless of what you carry. Carry what you feel comfortable with, and what you are consistently accurate with. Even a .22 caliber can kill/maime/stop a threat.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
My wife has a thing for .40 caliber Glocks, so she owns a 22, a 23 and a 27. The 22 is a great range gun but kinda large for CC, so it never gets carried.Until South Carolina ever sees the light and allows OC, it'll remain a range/home defense gun. For open carry we think it would be great.

As for my two cents on the .357 Sig barrel, I don't see any point in spending your money on one. The ammo is more expensive, less available and not substantially different in stopping power. IMO you're betteroff spending your money on lot's of practice ammo, extra mags and maybe a Ghost trigger.

Your results may vary.

I don't want to get into the debate about .40 vs. .357 Sig, but I thought it wouldinterest some readers to know that my buddy has tested the .357 sig against car doors and it penetrated the door intact. Don't know what ammo though.

Just saying is all. In case you arein a tactical situation wherea door in a junk car has to be taken out that the .357 sig might be a good choice.

usaf0906

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
glock put out a new version of the 22. Its a rough texture frame (RTF). does anyone know anything about them???

Its really personal taste, I thought that it felt more rough (obviously) but to the point that it was uncomfortable. I didnt shoot it, was justing handling it at the gun shop for a bit.

As for the OP, I OC/CC the Glock 23 and love it. Its big enough to get a good grip on the handle, yet small enough to conceal IWB without discomfort.

thnycav

imported post

I have a glock 30 and I carry concealed. It works for me. I carry IWB with a Galco comfort holster. I have never had any problems with printing or it being uncomfortable.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
glock put out a new version of the 22. Its a rough texture frame (RTF). does anyone know anything about them???

There's a coverarticle by Patrick Sweeneyin the Guns & Ammo HANDGUNS that I got in the mail last week about the G22 RTF. It's pretty nice looking, even though it hasn't changed substantially from the Gen 3 G22.

Basic points of interest:

• Finger grooves and thumb "rests"more subtly shaped
  • Frame/grips now have hundreds of sharp small protrusions ("polymids") that give better grip--with bare hands or gloves
  • Cocking serrations now curved (forward)
  • G22 RTF mags will work with ambidextrous mag release
  • G22 mags will work with G22 RTF
  • G22 RTF will work with all G22 holsters
Seems like a sleeker, slightly more refined G22 to me.

There is now a G17 RTF and G22 RTF. Forthcoming will be the G19 RTF and G23 RTF.

Here's a pic:

lukem-albums-shot-show-2009-picture667-glock-g22-rtf2.jpg

Article1section23

imported post

Pezhead992 wrote:
I am currently looking seriously at the Glock 22, 40. caliber as my open carry weapon, what are your thoughts?

Pez, at first, I was a HK fan. But, had to carry my duty weapon, aka, g22. Its not a bad gun and I carry the g27 when I conceal carry. I will be getting a 23 for OC and still carry the g22 when on duty. They are great guns and you can find the Korean mags for under 10 bucks each. I only use factor mags while carrying, but the others for back up or range use....OMB has factor magsfor $20.

I still like the HK, but I have more glocks now..lol. Good Luck

Sheepdawg

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:

I bought one and it is awesome! Its like the gun is stuck to your hand, kinda like velcro. And the slide has these cresent moon shaped grips instead of the vertical ones. I can't really tell if this gives you a better grip but they look kinda cool.

As for the OP I would totally recommend getting a 22. Its one of my favorite carry guns, it shoots great, handles great, points great, and 15+1 in a .40 cal. You can't beat it.

Dreamer

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Goggle this 16-year-old Canadian's science project, and then tell me how confident you feel in the future reliability of a polymer frame firearm, if things should get REALLY dicey...

All-steel, all the time...

You have heard about the joint FBI/DHS covert research into magnet-based "mobile firearm protective retrieval" (MFPR) operations, haven't you? Supposedly, the feds have figured out that vans (with fictitious consumer service company signage) sweeping residential areas will pull all-steel guns (1911s, revolvers, etc.) into some kind of combination net/sponge contraption.Secret contracts have been let toGM and Chryslerfor the vehicles. They jumped at the chancebecause of their financial woes.Once ole Obama wins reelection in 2012 and then declares a SOE... those vans will be ready to roll....

Please, Dreamer, pick up an XD, a Walther, a GLOCK...whatever. Just in case.

I happened to go by a gun shop this past Thursday and saw a G22RTF, so I picked it up to see for myself. It did feel very sticky in my bare hand. It was OK, but I didn't really like it. And then I wondered what it would take to break off some of the "polymids," say, accidentally. I think that might be a problem, though, I wanna trust GLOCK in having engineered it correctly.

I will say that the new cocking serrations make it easier to rack the slide. No slipping with the new style.

midnight61

imported post

HankT wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
Goggle this 16-year-old Canadian's science project, and then tell me how confident you feel in the future reliability of a polymer frame firearm, if things should get REALLY dicey...

All-steel, all the time...

You have heard about the joint FBI/DHS covert research into magnet-based "mobile firearm protective retrieval" (MFPR) operations, haven't you? Supposedly, the feds have figured out that vans (with fictitious consumer service company signage) sweeping residential areas will pull all-steel guns (1911s, revolvers, etc.) into some kind of combination net/sponge contraption.Secret contracts have been let toGM and Chryslerfor the vehicles. They jumped at the chancebecause of their financial woes.Once ole Obama wins reelection in 2012 and then declares a SOE... those vans will be ready to roll....

Please, Dreamer, pick up an XD, a Walther, a GLOCK...whatever. Just in case.

I happened to go by a gun shop this past Thursday and saw a G22RTF, so I picked it up to see for myself. It did feel very sticky in my bare hand. It was OK, but I didn't really like it. And then I wondered what it would take to break off some of the "polymids," say, accidentally. I think that might be a problem, though, I wanna trust GLOCK in having engineered it correctly.

I will say that the new cocking serrations make it easier to rack the slide. No slipping with the new style.
I would think South Central LA would be a perfect test environment for such vans.

The BATF should have a field day.