Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police: Man with gun arrested during Obama address

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11108122'

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. Capitol Police have arrested a Virginia man they say tried to get into a secure area near the Capitol with a gun in his car as the president gave his health care address to Congress.
    Police spokeswoman Kimberly Schneider said Thursday that 28-year-old Joshua Bowman of Falls Church, Va., was arrested around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
    Schneider says Bowman approached a security checkpoint near the Cannon House Office Building in a 4-door Honda Civic and told officers he wanted to park.
    People who want to get into the area must have a permit and have their vehicles searched. The timing of the request raised an officer's suspicion, Schneider said, and Bowman consented to a vehicle search.
    Schneider says a shotgun and ammunition were found in Bowman's trunk. She says Bowman was charged with having an unregistered firearm and ammunition.

Post imported post

Was he on federal property?

If he was on federal property then what law did he violate?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Was he on federal property?

If he was on federal property then what law did he violate?
    He wa in DC.

Post imported post

What an idiot!

Post imported post

Someone please tell me
    1) He wasn't a CHP holder.
    2) He wasn't a member of this forum.
    3) He wasn't a member of VCDL.

And he consented to a search? Moron.

Post imported post

Fenris wrote:
    Someone please tell me
    1) He wasn't a CHP holder.
    2) He wasn't a member of this forum.
    3) He wasn't a member of VCDL.

And he consented to a search? Moron.
    According to the story if you want in the area he wanted in it's a requirement to have it searched. Maybe he could've said "oh nevermind I'll just reverse out/turn around and go back from whence I came" though.

Post imported post

The most expensive parking space he never got to use.

Everyone knows that DC is a self-defense free zone. No guns. No rounds. No magazines. No knives. No sharp pencils.

Heck I don't like to go to DC unless I've taken the time to go over car with fine tooth comb, and even then I'm worried. But a shotgun? How do you miss that?

Post imported post

It is hunting season, it's possible that he just accidently left it in the back of his car. It could have just been an honest mistake. But nonetheless, he did break the law.

Post imported post

How can you get charged with having a unregistered firearm? I've heard of others saying that too. Since you don't register firearms when purchasing them and in private party sales you don't really have to do anything as long as they are old enough and tell you they aren't a felon. I don't see how anyone can be charged with having a unregistered one when you don't register them anyway. My understanding is the from you fill out when buying one isn't considered a registration correct?

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    How can you get charged with having a unregistered firearm? I've heard of others saying that too. Since you don't register firearms when purchasing them and in private party sales you don't really have to do anything as long as they are old enough and tell you they aren't a felon. I don't see how anyone can be charged with having a unregistered one when you don't register them anyway. My understanding is the from you fill out when buying one isn't considered a registration correct?
    I do believe DC requires registration. You're thinking VA laws.

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    Don't you have to register everything in DC?

What I'm not sure of why he isn't protected under the Federal traveler law. It wa in the trunk and I assume unloaded and he is a Va Citizen.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    hometheaterman wrote:

What I'm not sure of why he isn't protected under the Federal traveler law. It wa in the trunk and I assume unloaded and he is a Va Citizen.
    He was parking, and I don't think he's allowed to do that. I think you have to be traveling through, and you're not really allowed to stop (I think things like getting gas are acceptable).

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    hometheaterman wrote:

Not allowed in his final travel destination + the stop he was making probably wasn't deemed necessary to his traveling.

??

Post imported post

I didn't think stopping in New York or New Jersey was legal even for gas, flat tire, engine malfunction, heart attack, or even death.

Hell Jersey cops would arrest a corpse and the DA would charge.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    I don't place much faith in any arrest made by capitol police. They're basically just building and grounds security guards. I know one of them well and watch his ramblings on the Internet to a bunch of kids. His every arrest gets posted. I just sit back, read them, and LOL! I often wonder if he realizes just how goofy he actually looks.
    glorified security guards or not, they can still screw your life up if you forget you're in DC.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Fenris wrote:
    I didn't think stopping in New York or New Jersey was legal even for gas, flat tire, engine malfunction, heart attack, or even death.

Hell Jersey cops would arrest a corpse and the DA would charge.
    As long as you are adhering to the Federal Firearms Owner's Protection Act of '86, you're good to go with stopping in New York or New Jersey or DC for fuel, food, and I think even a night's stay but that one I'm not certain about.

I you were acting within the law and a New York LEO arrested you, not only would you have a case against the city, but against the LEO as well for a deliberate illegal arrest.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I think New Jersey arrested someone whose flight was diverted and he had an overnight stay.

Bloomberg wanted to come down and arrest people in Virginia.

Stay away. Far away.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    I don't place much faith in any arrest made by capitol police. They're basically just building and grounds security guards. I know one of them well and watch his ramblings on the Internet to a bunch of kids. His every arrest gets posted. I just sit back, read them, and LOL! I often wonder if he realizes just how goofy he actually looks.

I worked for the Office of the Sergeant at Arms for the Senate for 30 years before retiring in 2002. The Sergeant at Arms of the Senate is the only one that can arrest the POTUS,and is a member of the U.S. Capitol Police Board.

The U.S. Capitol Police are fully qualified Police Officers, and are the only Police Officersin the United States that can arrest a sitting US Senator or Congressman.

Most U.S. Capitol Police officers are tasked with building and peremiter security, but the patrol division has concurrent jurisdiction with DC Police and respond to all calls for assistance in the Capitol Hill Area. While like all police departments they have goofs and a** holes, the majority are highly dedicated officers.

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Sounds like Mr. Bowman is in for a long painful experience. I hope he's not on here either. He certainly didn't do his homework prior to travelling.

Post imported post

I feel for the guy. The laws in DC are draconian, unjust, and unconstitutional.

And I can hardly deny having my own stupid moments.

But seriously, this is like driving into East Berlin with a trunk full of Anti-Soviet propaganda. You check your rights at the moat.

This will not end well for him.

Post imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:

I worked for the Office of the Sergeant at Arms for the Senate for 30 years before retiring in 2002. The Sergeant at Arms of the Senate is the only one that can arrest the POTUS,and is a member of the U.S. Capitol Police Board.

The U.S. Capitol Police are fully qualified Police Officers, and are the only Police Officersin the United States that can arrest a sitting US Senator or Congressman.

Most U.S. Capitol Police officers are tasked with building and peremiter security, but the patrol division has concurrent jurisdiction with DC Police and respond to all calls for assistance in the Capitol Hill Area. While like all police departments they have goofs and a** holes, the majority are highly dedicated officers.

Wait, so if Senator Dumbass comes to Fairfax Co. and shoots somebody, the Fairfax Co. PD cannot arrest him?

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:

Wait, so if Senator Dumbass comes to Fairfax Co. and shoots somebody, the Fairfax Co. PD cannot arrest him?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    If Congress is in session, I believe that's true. But only if Congress is in session. At that point, though, I don't believe the Capitol Police can arrest them, either.

But Civics class was a looooong time ago, so I could be misremembering.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    If Congress is in session, I believe that's true. But only if Congress is in session. At that point, though, I don't believe the Capitol Police can arrest them, either.

But Civics class was a looooong time ago, so I could be misremembering.

~ Boyd
    Wow, I want to be a Senator. Who'll vote for me? I won't shoot you, I promise!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

So, what were all those FBI investigations and so forth into things like Abscam? Who did the arresting in those?

And what about that Congressman who had a "wide stance" in the men's room at the airport?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast