• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Man with gun arrested during Obama address

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11108122'

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. Capitol Police have arrested a Virginia man they say tried to get into a secure area near the Capitol with a gun in his car as the president gave his health care address to Congress.
Police spokeswoman Kimberly Schneider said Thursday that 28-year-old Joshua Bowman of Falls Church, Va., was arrested around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Schneider says Bowman approached a security checkpoint near the Cannon House Office Building in a 4-door Honda Civic and told officers he wanted to park.
People who want to get into the area must have a permit and have their vehicles searched. The timing of the request raised an officer's suspicion, Schneider said, and Bowman consented to a vehicle search.
Schneider says a shotgun and ammunition were found in Bowman's trunk. She says Bowman was charged with having an unregistered firearm and ammunition.

Fenris

imported post

Someone please tell me
1) He wasn't a CHP holder.
2) He wasn't a member of this forum.
3) He wasn't a member of VCDL.

And he consented to a search? Moron.

curtiswr

imported post

Fenris wrote:
Someone please tell me
1) He wasn't a CHP holder.
2) He wasn't a member of this forum.
3) He wasn't a member of VCDL.

And he consented to a search? Moron.
According to the story if you want in the area he wanted in it's a requirement to have it searched. Maybe he could've said "oh nevermind I'll just reverse out/turn around and go back from whence I came" though.

Fenris

imported post

The most expensive parking space he never got to use.

Everyone knows that DC is a self-defense free zone. No guns. No rounds. No magazines. No knives. No sharp pencils.

Heck I don't like to go to DC unless I've taken the time to go over car with fine tooth comb, and even then I'm worried. But a shotgun? How do you miss that?

hunter45

imported post

It is hunting season, it's possible that he just accidently left it in the back of his car. It could have just been an honest mistake. But nonetheless, he did break the law.

hometheaterman

imported post

How can you get charged with having a unregistered firearm? I've heard of others saying that too. Since you don't register firearms when purchasing them and in private party sales you don't really have to do anything as long as they are old enough and tell you they aren't a felon. I don't see how anyone can be charged with having a unregistered one when you don't register them anyway. My understanding is the from you fill out when buying one isn't considered a registration correct?

tag

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
How can you get charged with having a unregistered firearm? I've heard of others saying that too. Since you don't register firearms when purchasing them and in private party sales you don't really have to do anything as long as they are old enough and tell you they aren't a felon. I don't see how anyone can be charged with having a unregistered one when you don't register them anyway. My understanding is the from you fill out when buying one isn't considered a registration correct?
I do believe DC requires registration. You're thinking VA laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Don't you have to register everything in DC?

What I'm not sure of why he isn't protected under the Federal traveler law. It wa in the trunk and I assume unloaded and he is a Va Citizen.

tag

imported post

peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:

What I'm not sure of why he isn't protected under the Federal traveler law. It wa in the trunk and I assume unloaded and he is a Va Citizen.
He was parking, and I don't think he's allowed to do that. I think you have to be traveling through, and you're not really allowed to stop (I think things like getting gas are acceptable).

curtiswr

imported post

peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:

Not allowed in his final travel destination + the stop he was making probably wasn't deemed necessary to his traveling.

??

Fenris

imported post

I didn't think stopping in New York or New Jersey was legal even for gas, flat tire, engine malfunction, heart attack, or even death.

Hell Jersey cops would arrest a corpse and the DA would charge.

Sheriff

imported post

I don't place much faith in any arrest made by capitol police. They're basically just building and grounds security guards. I know one of them well and watch his ramblings on the Internet to a bunch of kids. His every arrest gets posted. I just sit back, read them, and LOL! I often wonder if he realizes just how goofy he actually looks.

nova

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I don't place much faith in any arrest made by capitol police. They're basically just building and grounds security guards. I know one of them well and watch his ramblings on the Internet to a bunch of kids. His every arrest gets posted. I just sit back, read them, and LOL! I often wonder if he realizes just how goofy he actually looks.
glorified security guards or not, they can still screw your life up if you forget you're in DC. :banghead:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Fenris wrote:
I didn't think stopping in New York or New Jersey was legal even for gas, flat tire, engine malfunction, heart attack, or even death.

Hell Jersey cops would arrest a corpse and the DA would charge.
As long as you are adhering to the Federal Firearms Owner's Protection Act of '86, you're good to go with stopping in New York or New Jersey or DC for fuel, food, and I think even a night's stay but that one I'm not certain about.

I you were acting within the law and a New York LEO arrested you, not only would you have a case against the city, but against the LEO as well for a deliberate illegal arrest.

Fenris

imported post

I think New Jersey arrested someone whose flight was diverted and he had an overnight stay.

Bloomberg wanted to come down and arrest people in Virginia.

Stay away. Far away.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:

I worked for the Office of the Sergeant at Arms for the Senate for 30 years before retiring in 2002. The Sergeant at Arms of the Senate is the only one that can arrest the POTUS,and is a member of the U.S. Capitol Police Board.

The U.S. Capitol Police are fully qualified Police Officers, and are the only Police Officersin the United States that can arrest a sitting US Senator or Congressman.

Most U.S. Capitol Police officers are tasked with building and peremiter security, but the patrol division has concurrent jurisdiction with DC Police and respond to all calls for assistance in the Capitol Hill Area. While like all police departments they have goofs and a** holes, the majority are highly dedicated officers.

bohdi

imported post

Sounds like Mr. Bowman is in for a long painful experience. I hope he's not on here either. He certainly didn't do his homework prior to travelling.