• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Man with gun arrested during Obama address

Fenris

imported post

I feel for the guy. The laws in DC are draconian, unjust, and unconstitutional.

And I can hardly deny having my own stupid moments.

But seriously, this is like driving into East Berlin with a trunk full of Anti-Soviet propaganda. You check your rights at the moat.

This will not end well for him.

Tomahawk

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
I don't place much faith in any arrest made by capitol police. They're basically just building and grounds security guards. I know one of them well and watch his ramblings on the Internet to a bunch of kids. His every arrest gets posted. I just sit back, read them, and LOL! I often wonder if he realizes just how goofy he actually looks.

I worked for the Office of the Sergeant at Arms for the Senate for 30 years before retiring in 2002. The Sergeant at Arms of the Senate is the only one that can arrest the POTUS,and is a member of the U.S. Capitol Police Board.

The U.S. Capitol Police are fully qualified Police Officers, and are the only Police Officersin the United States that can arrest a sitting US Senator or Congressman.

Most U.S. Capitol Police officers are tasked with building and peremiter security, but the patrol division has concurrent jurisdiction with DC Police and respond to all calls for assistance in the Capitol Hill Area. While like all police departments they have goofs and a** holes, the majority are highly dedicated officers.
Wait, so if Senator Dumbass comes to Fairfax Co. and shoots somebody, the Fairfax Co. PD cannot arrest him?

tag

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
I don't place much faith in any arrest made by capitol police. They're basically just building and grounds security guards. I know one of them well and watch his ramblings on the Internet to a bunch of kids. His every arrest gets posted. I just sit back, read them, and LOL! I often wonder if he realizes just how goofy he actually looks.

I worked for the Office of the Sergeant at Arms for the Senate for 30 years before retiring in 2002. The Sergeant at Arms of the Senate is the only one that can arrest the POTUS,and is a member of the U.S. Capitol Police Board.

The U.S. Capitol Police are fully qualified Police Officers, and are the only Police Officersin the United States that can arrest a sitting US Senator or Congressman.

Most U.S. Capitol Police officers are tasked with building and peremiter security, but the patrol division has concurrent jurisdiction with DC Police and respond to all calls for assistance in the Capitol Hill Area. While like all police departments they have goofs and a** holes, the majority are highly dedicated officers.
Wait, so if Senator Dumbass comes to Fairfax Co. and shoots somebody, the Fairfax Co. PD cannot arrest him?
I was wondering the same thing.

TexasNative

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
If Congress is in session, I believe that's true. But only if Congress is in session. At that point, though, I don't believe the Capitol Police can arrest them, either.

But Civics class was a looooong time ago, so I could be misremembering.

~ Boyd

Tomahawk

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
If Congress is in session, I believe that's true. But only if Congress is in session. At that point, though, I don't believe the Capitol Police can arrest them, either.

But Civics class was a looooong time ago, so I could be misremembering.

~ Boyd

Wow, I want to be a Senator. Who'll vote for me? I won't shoot you, I promise!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So, what were all those FBI investigations and so forth into things like Abscam? Who did the arresting in those?

And what about that Congressman who had a "wide stance" in the men's room at the airport?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here it is. Article I, section 6:

...They shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlei.html#section1

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Here it is. Article I, section 6:

...They shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlei.html#section1
I never understood why they should be immune from arrest when they are LEAVING congress...

kennys

imported post

I would truly like to have more information as with all we know dosn’t really say much except for Va man. How long has he been a resident? What was his reasoning for having it in his vehicle? I had lived Mississippi for about three years, than Florida for about four, before I moved to Va. I had owned and sold several rifles within that time as well as owned one hand gun. At that time Internet was far from my mind as well the news didn’t interest me much. In saying that, Gun laws did not really register at the top of my list. I was a member of the NRA as to help with he numbers, but really was not interested in reading all the things they had mailed. Not saying I did, but between the three states, as I know now the gun laws differ. I could have stuck a gun in my glove box, or a shotgun in the trunk, and not had a second thought about it. I knew the general safety rules, as well as how to shoot, some skills even learned from past military duty, but at that time the rest never really seemed to matter. I did on some instances call police to ask about concerns, but most answers were I don’t know.

Now in my older age, knowing ignorance is no excuse I dig for every bit of information I can get when it comes to gun laws. Knowing the ignorance of the past to what knowledge I have gained over the last few years I consider my self one of the lucky ones that was not arrested for stupidity, but as well the general media and public service does not do well to educate. Unfortunately as well some gun shop employees sometimes don’t do a better job of educating either. Thanks to the Internet, as well as a talk with someone from behind the counter at Old Dominion shooting range, I happened across VCDL, in which a few years back gave me more knowledge as to gun issues and laws. Than at the middle of the year could make my first VCDL meeting as it was in Richmond. Now from my experience at the VCDL meeting learned about OCDO. Now in a nut shell, massive quantities of information and mixed point of views and I am more enlightened over issues that in general I would have never even had a second thought about.

Moral of the story is: There are many people out there that just really don’t know. I think that is where we all come in. Ignorance is no excuse to the law, but as well the law sometimes dosn’t care about every day law abiding citizens just trying to play by the rules. Sometimes people take for granted the knowledge they have as it is an every day thing for them, where others just didn’t know certain avenues exist.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

kennys wrote:
Snip..
Moral of the story is: There are many people out there that just really don’t know. I think that is where we all come in. Ignorance is no excuse to the law, but as well the law sometimes dosn’t care about every day law abiding citizens just trying to play by the rules. Sometimes people take for granted the knowledge they have as it is an every day thing for them, where others just didn’t know certain avenues exist.

Information in the story would seam to indicate it could have been an I didn't know moment. Shotgun in trunk along withammo. I'm not even sure he wasn't going to one of the restaurants in the area of the Cannon Office Building. The area is loaded with security areas due to the way the House Office buildings are laid out. A lot of the streets around Capitol Hill are closed.

kennys

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:

Information in the story would seam to indicate it could have been an I didn't know moment. Shotgun in trunk along withammo. I'm not even sure he wasn't going to one of the restaurants in the area of the Cannon Office Building. The area is loaded with security areas due to the way the House Office buildings are laid out. A lot of the streets around Capitol Hill are closed.

I agree. Now I know some of DC Law, and I am sure I don't know everything. I try to stay away from DC, so I have never looked it up. Until a post I believe it was last week,I didn't knowthey could get you for just ammo....In another story I had herd that the shotgun was cased in his back seat un- loaded with the ammo in his trunk.

Thundar

imported post

If the victim was at a federal location, then his actions would seem to be legal as long as the firearm was unloaded.
Link: http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub.L. 99-360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

wylde007

imported post

It seems to imply that, while the fellow was obviously poorly versed in firearms law, that the search of his vehicle should have only led to his not being granted permission to enter and park in the "restricted" space.

It hardly seems grounds for arrest and confiscation.

IANAL... because I have and use common sense. :D

MSC 45ACP

imported post

This guy is toast... BOHICA.

PoorDumbFlocker. Did he really think he could go into DC with a shotgun without risk? I just gotta know... WTF was he THINKING???

Neplusultra

imported post

Fenris wrote:
I feel for the guy. The laws in DC are draconian, unjust, and unconstitutional.

And I can hardly deny having my own stupid moments.

But seriously, this is like driving into East Berlin with a trunk full of Anti-Soviet propaganda. You check your rights at the moat.

This will not end well for him.
I agree, if the law is unconstitutional a little civil disobedience is not uncalled for. Perhaps we should get behind this guy and fight for what is his constitutional right to bear arms.

Although I agree a better course would be the one Heller took and challenge the law without breaking it :^).

kennys

imported post

Thundar wrote:
If the victim was at a federal location, then his actions would seem to be legal as long as the firearm was unloaded.
Link: http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub.L. 99-360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)
IANL) That being said, I can only do what I feel comfortable with. My thing is, DC is not a state for one. For two, my interpretation of interstate travel is going from Point A (Gun Friendly) to point C (Gun Friendly), but having to cross over B ( Not so Gun friendly). Not going from point A to B and back unless both have laws that are gun friendly. I would suggest that any one that wants to go site seeing or take in a good restaurant or the like either leave their weapons at home, or not have an extended stop at such a ( Gun un-friendly ) place..