• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Mexico Judge Rules For OCer

boomer92266

imported post

great story, glad the judge ruled the way it should be as the law and constitution says. i wished more police officers would get better informed about open carry, it seems alot of people lately are having their rights violated. as many people have gone thru this it looks like the police would finaly get it, i think some just don't like open carry and try to inforce their own law to suit them.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

New Mexico and Arizona share a common heritage. I find it nearly impossible for a LEO in either state to harrass anyone for bearing arms in the traditional mode. It's doubtful that the Alamagodo PD personnel are 'native' or would they would not be be ignorant of the culture. Either thru ignorance or at the alter of 'politically correct' opinion... they chose to deliberately ignore the New Mexico Constitution:

"New Mexico: No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. Art. II, § 6 (first sentence enacted in 1971, second sentence added 1986).
1912: "The people have the right to bear arms for their security and defense, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons." Art. II, § 6. [Self-defense right explicitly protected.]

Clearly... this was a violation of a citizens rights under color of law. I hope St John owns a goodly piece of Alamagordo and the LEO's involved after due process.

8th ID

imported post

What I found interesting in the article: The PD was essentially being used to back up the rules of a private business, instead of protecting the Constitution. AND that the judge denied the LEO's immunity from a civil action. AWESOME!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The theatre was not posted. Theatre management did not advise him to leave the premises... instead... the LEO's over-reacted to the histronic projections of the 'manager'. That is not RAS or PC for anything further than a 'look-see'.

NoHadji

imported post

Very good. Let that be a lesson on Constitutional Rights!! You better know the laws if you are going to be responsible for enforcing them.