• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fellow OCer With Bad Attitude

GF

imported post

I was in Walmart the other day checking to see if they had any range ammo. Upon walking over to the sporting goods section, my brother advised me that there was another person carrying openly as well. I have not noticed not too many OCers there and whenever I see one, I usually spend a couple minutes chatting about what they have and whatnot. Upon approaching this man, I said, "Hello" to which he responded with just a simple nod. I told him I noticed that he was carrying as well and asked if he had gotten those "looks" that everyone gets or if anyone had talked to him about it and he responded by saying, "My gun is already registered, they can't do s**t about it." I then asked him what he was carrying to which again in an angry voice replied, "Who wants to know". That was that, I just said to him "Never mind, have a nice day sir" and continued to get the ammo. Never have had that happen before.

G

imported post

GF wrote:
I was in Walmart the other day checking to see if they had any range ammo. Upon walking over to the sporting goods section, my brother advised me that there was another person carrying openly as well. I have not noticed not too many OCers there and whenever I see one, I usually spend a couple minutes chatting about what they have and whatnot. Upon approaching this man, I said, "Hello" to which he responded with just a simple nod. I told him I noticed that he was carrying as well and asked if he had gotten those "looks" that everyone gets or if anyone had talked to him about it and he responded by saying, "My gun is already registered, they can't do s**t about it." I then asked him what he was carrying to which again in an angry voice replied, "Who wants to know". That was that, I just said to him "Never mind, have a nice day sir" and continued to get the ammo. Never have had that happen before.
I get that sometimes. Some people are either in a bad mood or their hiding something. Don't worry about it. I'm probably guessing that he was justin a bad mood. I've seen that and the best thing to do is just ignore them.

GF

imported post

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he was not having the best day. And as for that whole gun registered thing, I believed that he was not from around here and I did not dare ask him another question :uhoh:. HAHA

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Obviously he's one of those 'A good offense is the best defense' strategists. You meet them every day, the person that blows through a stop sign or changes lanes without a single glance in the mirror much less a signal, and then gives you the finger when you tap your horn.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

He may have been grumpy, just had a run-in with some douche bag anti that gave him the Nth degree, and here comes another guy asking stupid questions...

Maybe he told you 'it was registered" just to make you go away and not ask if it is.... Like every other douche bag he just had to talk to that put him in such a bad mood...

No, I haven't moved to AZ yet... ;-)

DMGNUT

imported post

Just my opinion, but you should avoid the whole "bad attitude thing" if you're open carrying. The "registered" comment is completely stupid for a couple reason... he's from out of state and doesn't know and didn't bother to check the laws here, or he's intentionally blowing people off with erroneous information. If you're gona be a dick head when you carry, you should carry concealed.

GF

imported post

DMGNUT wrote:
Just my opinion, but you should avoid the whole "bad attitude thing" if you're open carrying.
That is exactly what I think. I understand people have bad days, who doesn't, but man was this guy a doucher. I didn't think a couple seconds of conversation would really cause that response. Who knows, maybe he was getting questions from other people and did not notice that I was carrying as well. :?Oh well, Walmart has customers from all walks of life HAHA.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I still say the guy deserves the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he had just been verbally assaulted by an anti? The fact that he was carrying, in my book, means I'd cut him some slack. Being less prepared than readers of this forum could be, it is easy to see how he might be put in that mood by the same people members of this board can easily outmaneuver and walk away from with a smile.

It does just plain 'look bad' to stomp around with a scowl while packing.... I might raise an eyebrow to that, myself. But everyone has a bad day. Especially when anti's with no respect for others like to ambush you for being a decent human being.

Maybe he just got roughed up by those cows in Show Low? ;-)

I'd lend more 'benefit of the doubt' to a carrier, than just about anyone else.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Registered? Nah... he's a Yankee noob. City type prob'ly... they're usually wired tight.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DMGNUT wrote:
Just my opinion, but you should avoid the whole "bad attitude thing" if you're open carrying. The "registered" comment is completely stupid for a couple reason... he's from out of state and doesn't know and didn't bother to check the laws here, or he's intentionally blowing people off with erroneous information. If you're gona be a dick head when you carry, you should carry concealed.

He might've just thought the question was stupid, resulting in an attitude and (possibly) intentional misdirection. Or maybe he just focused on what he was doing and really didn't want to engage in chatter.

Let's face it, there is no particular reason to start talking guns or carry with any T,D,H who ambles up to you.

And if he is "a dick head," there there is noparticular restriction on the right to OC when doing so.

He's our guy, he's an OCer. He has a right to OC anyway he wishes.

Remember: "A right unexcercised is a right lost."

I just hope he doesn't get stopped for questioning by W-M security or local LE. He probably will needlessly providea bad impression of OCers.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

He's obviously new to OC... 'prob'ly self-concious 'n perhaps nervously annoyed. Therefore... he'll defensively'cop an attitude' 'cause he's not completely comfortable with thisOC novelty, so he 'tuff guy' compensated by being surley. It's like drivin' 75mph 'legally' for the first time... you feel like you're gettin'away with somethin'.

RJ

Banned
imported post

If you OC enough you will encounter all kinds of attitudes, and opinions.
Trick is to not let it define your day or your thoughts on OC'ing.

I've been know to advise a concealed carrier of his printing or a shirt up over their weapon, some take it with a grain of salt, others get all excited, as if you crapped in their mess kit.
I figure its a courtesy to help them remain a ccw'r. Oh well.

When the OC'rs with bad attitude stirke, kill'm with kindness, makes it all that more exciting.
RJ

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

RJ wrote:
If you OC enough you will encounter all kinds of attitudes, and opinions.
Trick is to not let it define your day or your thoughts on OC'ing.

Unfortunately, the OCer with the BA is a representative to thegeneral public of the OC community.

And since there are so few OCers, that OCer cum BAmakes a stronger impression, a negative one, on the public's mind about OCers.

Refer to the Anthony Manzella (anty506) case for an example of this concept. He was a BIG proponentand practitioner of OC. But he ended up getting involved with drugs and he shot and killed someone. Murder, they say. Sure seems like it.

RJ

Banned
imported post

In my experience in OC'ing, majority of comments or questions come from other gunnies, whether they OC or CCW, and of course at our group gatherings we get a few questions in regards to such a large group carrying.

But in all, the other comments or questions are from anti gun owners or anti rights period, I care not to argue the point with them, as they're mind is made up, until they need someone like me or another carrier to help them.
They are hypocritical at best, as we all know the PC people are.

Public preception is important, but not to the point of degrading or ingratiating yourself to them.
jmo
rj

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Not for nuthin guys, But you make it sound like the onlypeople that exercise their rights by O-C'ingshould belong to some little club with a secret handshake.

If I had someone come up to me asking about my firearm and I did not know them, I would probably be very short with them too since I have no idea of their intentions or want to speak with me.

Lets use an anology here, lets say he was with a hot red-head, do you feel he should be personable with you just because you may have tagged a red-head or two once or twice in your life?

Think about it, how many times have we all been asked "is that gun registered" by someone that knows nothing about their rights when pertaining to carrying a firearm.

RJ

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Not for nuthin guys, But you make it sound like the only people that exercise their rights by O-C'ing should belong to some little club with a secret handshake.

If I had someone come up to me asking about my firearm and I did not know them, I would probably be very short with them too since I have no idea of their intentions or want to speak with me.

Lets use an anology here, lets say he was with a  hot red-head, do you feel he should be personable with you just because you may have tagged a red-head or two once or twice in your life?

Think about it, how many times have we all been asked "is that gun registered" by someone that knows nothing about their rights when pertaining to carrying a firearm.

I figure they are asking the question because they want to be educated and don't know how to go about it appropriately. Lot easier to be courteous, than rude and indiferent. But hey just my opinion,
happy carrying to you all.
RJ

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

RJ wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Not for nuthin guys, But you make it sound like the onlypeople that exercise their rights by O-C'ingshould belong to some little club with a secret handshake.

Lets use an anology here, lets say he was with a hot red-head, do you feel he should be personable with you just because you may have tagged a red-head or two once or twice in your life?

I figure they are asking the question because they want to be educated and don't know how to go about it appropriately. Lot easier to be courteous, than rude and indiferent. But hey just my opinion,
happy carrying to you all.

Could be that the OP was too pushy with this questions or body language or something. Or even too rude, as perceived by the other fellow. Hard to say.