• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fellow OCer With Bad Attitude

brokenbarrel

imported post

GF wrote:
DMGNUT wrote:
Just my opinion, but you should avoid the whole "bad attitude thing" if you're open carrying.
That is exactly what I think. I understand people have bad days, who doesn't, but man was this guy a doucher. I didn't think a couple seconds of conversation would really cause that response. Who knows, maybe he was getting questions from other people and did not notice that I was carrying as well. :?Oh well, Walmart has customers from all walks of life HAHA.
as stated before very possible he had run ins and thought u were another anti,the whole comment about gun being registered maybe true if hes a transplant i have mine registered,but i am a transplant..:?

GF

imported post

I just think he had a bad day, but like I stated before, I don't think he saw that I was carrying also. Oh well, I'm betting that isn't going to be the last guy I run into like that.

protector84

imported post

It is a shame that the OCer did have a bad attitude. I do have a thory behind this, however, based on personal experience. While I OC regularly (daily) and encourage responsible people to OC as well, that doesn't mean I am automatically comfortable seeing strangers carrying guns as well. While I certainly am glad to see another individual exercising his/her 2nd Amendment rights, I am no more "comfortable" with them than I would be with anyone else in public carrying or not. I don't know who they are, if they are legally carrying or not (although if it is OC it is likely to be legal carry), I don't know their mental state or how normal this person is. Additionally, when I'm in public I rarely have time for side conversations. I have errands to run and things to get done and simply don't have time to doddle. When it occurs that someone is curious about my firearm, I will give them a brief explanation (as not to be rude) but I am not going to suddenly try to be friends with them. Even though I carry a gun, I also keep an eye on anyone else carrying a gun as well. Again, you don't know if they are really on your side or not, if they are normal or if something suspicious is going on (at least until you take a further look).

I have run into many people who I don't even know suddenly get "cool" with me and want me to take out my sidearm and show it to them. I don't do this with strangers and if it is with someone I know I don't do it in a crowd of people where it could cause a problem. I have also run into a number of OC/CC people who decide to suddenly take out their guns and show them to me and other people including with the barrel pointed in an unsafe direction including at me. One guy in the parking lot of a restaurant was showing me how "cool" he was with his gun, took it out and showed it to me with the barrel pointed at my face. When I sternly told him not to point the gun at me, he said he was sorry and assured me the "safety" was on and then kept the gun pointed at the traffic going down the street for the duration of the "show and tell." So to make a long story short, when you see someone OCing or you know they are CCing, there really isn't a need to discuss anything because both of you are already exercising your Constitutional rights. You would be preaching to the choir as it is the non-carrying or CC-only people you would need to reach. As stated above in this paragraph, getting too "chummy" with an armed stranger can invite trouble. I don't want to get "accidently" shot by some idiot who thinks he knows about firearms and I don't want the cops to get called because he is pointing his gun at people in a restaurant saying "it's not loaded." A lot of people carry guns and just like drivers, a lot of them need a hell of a lot of training. Enough said.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Of course when the government registers my gun I get irate also.....
It goes in the boating accident pile for home defense use only. And
once again we don't get compensated for the property loss they cause.

I've only seen one fellow OC'r and couldn't get near him, at least to ask he
stop smoking, our ranks are small enough as it is. :?

Armed and attitude isn't the best way to be. But maybe he thought
you were another part of an leo sting that he just got away from.
I know my attitude changes to confrontational when in their presence,
not proud of that, but it has been ingrained over years by experience.
I can smile and laugh with a JBT on my neck, it drives them nuts.:lol:

Or worse being wallymart, he thought he was going to be trespassed
and therefor had nothing to lose at that point. Thank you corporate
for enforcing your store policies, NOT!

Best possible reason, An ANTI posing to give us a black eye!!!!
Explains everything, the attitude, the registration, and the location.:banghead::banghead: